WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Massachusetts vs Virginia

My husband and I have section-hiked most of GA. We would now like to come back east (we're from Iowa) for two weeks sometime between May 11 and June 19, 2009. We have settled on hiking in MA or VA but can't decide which state. We're looking for solitude, scenery, a challenge, nice weather, and, of course, water. Any suggestions?

Garlic
    Images

I don't live either place so I'm not biased but I don't know anything about either place other than what I saw on my through hike.

I loved both places, but I would pick VA any time, but only because it's so big! Two weeks in MA seems a bit like overkill to me.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper852 View Post
    My husband and I have section-hiked most of GA. We would now like to come back east (we're from Iowa) for two weeks sometime between May 11 and June 19, 2009. We have settled on hiking in MA or VA but can't decide which state. We're looking for solitude, scenery, a challenge, nice weather, and, of course, water. Any suggestions?
    Va has all of that and more.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Virginia. Grayson Highlands Northward---------->

I vote VA also. Only interesting area in MA is the at the CT/MA line.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Default Two Weeks in Virginia

I'd hike from Daleville (US220) to Front Royal, if you're in trail shape. If not, then perhaps US60 to Front Royal. You'll get the solitude you seek south of SNP, and then you'll get...SNP. Both are worth your effort.

Since everyone is suggesting VA, I'll say MA.

You'll be able to hike at a very leisurely pace and hike from Salisbury, CT to Williamstown, MA. Highlights as noted are Sages Ravine, also include Race Mt, Jug End, the Ledges, Upper Goose Pond, and Mt Greylock.

It may be best to PM Cosmo about weather that time of year and a possible shuttle from Williamstown

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper852 View Post
    I see this is your first post. Wecome to Whiteblaze!

I'd also vote for VA. The Trail in MA is pretty, but it is also pretty suburban. The one night I spent in a shelter there, I could hear someone mowing his lawn not far away.

Also, that early in the year, the weather in VA should be pleasant, while MA may be pretty buggy. At higher elevations in VA, you'll see rhododendrons and lots of spring and early summer flowers.

Coming from so far away, probably the main criterion should be ease of travel to and from the trail heads.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Blackfly season starts around Memorial Day in MA, so if you decide to head up here, I'd suggest doing it as early as possible within your window (unless you don't mind donating several pints of blood a day to the little guys).

Images

Ditto, hike VA

I had a feeling most people would suggest VA based on some other discussions I read :-) Thank you all so much for your input. This is truly a wonderful site! I look forward to reading more and contributing when I can

Images

Virginia was my favorite state (it felt good to bet back in the south). VA has realitively easy hiking and very rewarding scenery. I remember MA as a swamp, mostly full of bugs and mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Frick Frack View Post
    I remember MA as a swamp, mostly full of bugs and mud.
    Ah come on, it wasn't that bad. It's the only place I've seen a porcupine in the wild. Freakin awesome.

Images

I did not mean to imply MA was "bad" (only PA was bad...maybe horrible)....just VA, at least for me, was hands down the pick btw the two. As for those porcupines that you admire so much, they chewed the handles to pieces on my wifes Leki's as they were leaned against a tree one night....in MA if I remember correctly.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frick Frack View Post
    As for those porcupines that you admire so much, they chewed the handles to pieces on my wifes Leki's as they were leaned against a tree one night....in MA if I remember correctly.....
    Ooops, need to keep those or anything else, especially shoes, with salt on it out of the way. Still cool animals.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Ah come on, it wasn't that bad. It's the only place I've seen a porcupine in the wild. Freakin awesome.

Blood-sucking bugs and boot-devouring mud ruled the early June I did Massachusetts. YMMV. But seeing a porcupine in the wild would have been awesome!

Default VA or MA

Welcome fellow Iowan. Our numbers are growing. Southern Va around Roanoke is a beautiful place and Dragons Tooth is awesome. Read here on WB all you can and search the forums for specific questions related to your interests. Good luck and again, Welcome.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    No bugs or mud in VA?

Of course we have bugs in VA. Mostly those aggravating little gnats, sometimes some skeeters. But not the northern black flies, which are the worst IMHO. It's just part of the woods and mountains, and hikers find ways to deal with black flies up north, but by hiking in VA instead of MA one can avoid them altogether.

Mud? After a long rain or snow-melt, our trails in the SNP region can get somewhat muddy. But our trail club (PATC) tries to be more proactive than what I witnessed in Massachusetts—by installing check-dams and waterbars to deflect water off the trail instead of letting water create mudholes. In Massachusetts, there were places—quite a few places—where the mud was deep, trail-width, and unavoidable. Deep enough to make you think you'd stepped in quicksand the way it tried to claim your boots. That was in 2000. I really hope things have gotten better up there since then.

If Mass, then I would start at Mt. Greylock and hike north into Vermont. That would be a nice hike.
    You are never too old.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++