WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Don't know what it would cost(shipping there and back) but my dog said he would be willing to loan your dog the tent ( A Hubba ) if your dog wanted to try it out. Could set it up in the yard/ sleep in it etc.

I used a Northface slickrock tent on the AT. I liked the doors on both sides. It erected fast and easy, even in the rain. It is free standing. I left the half fly on it all the time...except in the summer heat. It has lots of screening. It had plenty of room for Winter and I ...plus our gear. Pat, Winter and I have used it but it's snug for three. I had a tent that you entered over the pillow area...that didn't work for me. I paid $300 for an ultra light tent for the PCT but when it rained it was like sleeping in a car wash. We've been using a tarp the last few years and that works fine.

Default BD Megalite

Have you considered a tent like the Black Diamond Megalite? little bit different as it doesn't have a floor. It is a tepee tent, 1.75lbs or so and very roomy. The benefit of not having a floor with a dog is that it will substantially cut down on wear and tear plus you wouldn't have to worry if your dog is wet and/or muddy. both of you and your gear could be inside together out of the elements. I had a border collie,german shepherd mix and she loved this tent because when nature called she didn't have to bother me to be let out. She just went outside on her own.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Default A tent, a dog and you....

I would just get, a dome tent from, "Walmart", 2 to 3 person variety. They are cheap and around $25.00, then throw away the origional stakes and get alum lightweight stakes!

I got my tent's weight down to 5 lbs 4oz's,just an idea me and my dog have shared this, and of course a piece of old blanket for the floor to keep him warm!

My dog will never sleep outside, he's a big baby, he has to be around me! Good luck on your tent selection

Your hiking friend; "Cat"

Winter is a little 70 lb white german shepherd. We used a Northface Slick Rock 2 person tent on the AT. It is about 4 lb. I liked it because it had 2 side access. I was more comfortable going to sleep knowing that Winter was secure in the tent. With the fly off during the summer Winter spent too much time looking outside watching the critters running around. The slick rock is a free standing tent so in the morning I'd pick it up over my head and shake the dirt and dog fur out. Winter has never damaged the floor of any tent we've used and I never use a footprint. I started off on the AT carrying a special fur pad for Winter until I realized she didn't want to be on it. When it was hot during the summer she slept in the far corner from me. When it was cold and or wet she would snuggle right up next to me. I put my 20 degree down rectangular bag over the two of us and she'd warm me right up. Before the Slick Rock we had a one person LL Bean tent that sucked. The access was over the pillow (clothes bag). While we could fit in it we couldn't be apart enough when it was warm and it didn't have enought easy venting.
    More recently we used a tarp on the LT, and that also worked, but she tends to not sleep as well when she can look out into the woods.

didn't read any of the post here,but i'll throw in my two cents. my dog had alot of trail miles with me, the last few years we slept in a zoid 2 tent (non-freestanding) it is a very good tent.

your dog will love you for having a tent/tarp,its so much more forgiving and comfortable on their boby(hips) and they will sleep better without all the noise of people getting up all hours of the night in the shelter,and they won't get stepped on(believe me that can happen)in a shelter.

I've been looking at all the suggested tents- thanks gang. Now I just need to decide (lol ie which one won't break the bank).

I think Peanut will do really really well in a tent. She's been crate trained since we got her at 12wks old so she's used to having a "den". She's also used to sleeping with me so I think that she will very quickly identify the tent as our "den" and place to nest.
    ~CJ aka WritinginCT

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WritinginCT View Post
    Okay so after weighing my tent (7.5lbs! ) I need to find something much much much lighter.

So I am looking for recommendations -and I posted this in the "dog" forum because my primary concern is that the tent is for both myself and my 50lb boxer and I need something that will be:

a) big enough for the two of us;
    b) has a floor (the tarp thing just won't work with my snake paranoia);
    c) durable enough (ie will withstand dog toenails);
    d) doesn't cost three fortunes.

Any suggestions?
    i've got a old msr zoid 1.5
    its well built and tough, but it weighs 4lbs, still lighter than your 7.5
    fits my fatass and my dog and our gear
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

I've been looking at all the suggested tents- thanks gang. Now I just need to decide (lol ie which one won't break the bank).

I think Peanut will do really really well in a tent. She's been crate trained since we got her at 12wks old so she's used to having a "den". She's also used to sleeping with me so I think that she will very quickly identify the tent as our "den" and place to nest.
    this might be useful... my dog has a piece of tyvek that she knows as hers... keeps her from moving around so much by giving a designated spot
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

Thumbs up

That is a good idea. Gives the dog a little something between the dog and the ground, and if the dog gets nasty and muddy all ya gotta do is shake the tyvek out in the morning.

I use a Hubba Hubba and it has been perfect for me and my 45 pound aussie. She has slept under the vestibule on a few occasions but mostly she snuggles up next to me. Provides enough room for me, my dog and all my gear to stay dry.

We have a Six Moon Designs Lunar duo two person non-freestanding tent (less than 3 lbs!). Last weekend me, my wife, Marley (60 lb yellow lab) and Jack ( 55 lb pit mix) all shared the tent overnight in a downpour. The tent stayed super dry, no leaks at all. The tent walls are straight up enought that we didn't have to worry about them beating the condensation on us with their tails. The only problem we had was when it was getting dark it was hard for them to see the thin guy line coming from the top of the tent out to the sides that hold up the tent and support the vestibules. I just laid a stick against them and they stopped tripping over them. They have not damaged the floor yet even when startled at 3 am by a bunch of wild turkeys thru-hiking on the trail ( literally marching down the trail)
    Conquering the AT one weekend at a time!

I went to walmart, bought a cheap tent-because I didn't want to spend a fortune either for something that my dog was going to sleep in with me and possibly put holes through it, paid 19.95, weighs 3lbs-poles and all, compacts easy and has been very very very durable-going on season 3 now. Best investment!

Has anybody tried a TT Cloudburst 2 with a dog (60-65lbs)? I don't have to worry about her brushing into the sides as she hates to bump into anything. A little extra space would also be good as she prefers to stay away from my sleeping bag if possible. Thanks for the idea about the wool cloth on top of the pad.

I agree with the advice that Mercy gave you. Basically any 2 person tent or tent-tarp is fine. I have hike with my wife and 2 dogs and a 2 person tent has worked out okay. Put a bed of leaves under your tent or footprint this will help in many ways (can reduce puncture problems due to any sharp nails that your dog might have).
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

I was wondering the same thing when I realized my hubba wouldnt work for me and my 40lb dog. She wasnt happy at my feet and I wouldnt have trusted her to stay in the vestibule. Plus, the thought of her coming in wet and walking over my down sleeping bag everynight wasn't appealing. I finally decided on the tarptent double rainbow. Truth is it weighs the same as the Hubba (though maybe not quite as heavy duty and freestanding only with hiking poles [if they are long enough]). I did talk to someone from tarptents though who says he hasnt had any complaints about the durability of the floors. The one thing I didnt like about the tarptent is it has to be seamsealed and you dont have the option of having them do it for you. I attempted to seam seal my tent but for some reason I just don't think I did it right. Anyways, I like the idea of a two person tent for the dog since it means more room for her and more room for my gear in the rain.

my dog is just 10lbs lighter than yours and ive done the measurements for a moment from tarptent (what i plan on buying soon) and it looks like she will fit by my side no problem. i will just bring a little pad for her to make sure she doesnt rip up the floor.

Images

Wait a minute.
    Does that mean you sleep with your dog in her crate at home?????

crate trained mean that they leave her in the crate when they leave the house. sometimes this includes them being in a crate at night but most folks i know sleep with their pups in their own beds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++