WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Garlic
    Images

Default How was the weather in '08?

So how was 2008 in terms of weather?

I live out West and have very little experience with Eastern weather. I was surprised by two things on the AT last year--Spring blizzards and violent summer T-storms. I even got stopped by a flash flood in the Whites, a new experience for me. I did some sections in 2002 and didn't see anything like that, but I think '02 was a dry year.

So was 2008 a wet year? How would it compare to the last decade or so? I heard several times that the summer in New England was much wetter than normal, but was that enough to consider it a wet season overall? I also heard the South remained in drought conditions. So can you folks who live out there and spend lots of time on the AT let us know? I was an early finisher (mid-July) so I didn't spend as much time out there as some.

Thanks.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Everybody talks about the weather but nobody does anything about it...
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Default weather in 08

well in the northern New England states (VT, NH, ME) the summer months of June, July, August where amongst the wettest on record. I think Northern NH and ME had rain every day for 20 days in June, or perhaps July. Not steady rain but thunderstorms that would drop buckets (of rain).

I would say that June is typically wet or at least moist. August normally is much drier.

One difference between east and west.. the air out west is dry (like what 30 % rel humidity?) typically in summer here in east it is far more humid (say 60-70 % humidity. I can't even imagine how god awful humid it must be in the deep south in summer.

David

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    So how was 2008 in terms of weather?
    Wet early summer in Maine. Seemed to even out with a dryer fall, for me. This site may give you some empirical data.

http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=car

Just for the record: The weather in Maine sucks. No one should ever bother to come here. Except for today. Yawl c'mon up.

Images

Vermont was very wet and muddy in 2008. I heard that pattern continued into NH and ME.

Fortunately, the Long Trail Festival in Rutand had decent weather in August.

'02 was a dry year

Images

Here in NE Connecticut it seemed we had alot of wind and heavy rain thruout the course of the year. 08 seemed to be a rather mild year temperature wise in this neck of the woods.....

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We had great weather comparatively speaking for '07 it seems, though we did have some surprise snow in April. Over all though, not that much rain.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Default weather...

Quote Originally Posted by Spogatz View Post
    Everybody talks about the weather but nobody does anything about it...
    Amen!!!!....
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Images

More water than '07. Springs in the TN/NC area are running about normal now.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Default Eastern weather

Garlic08: Weather here is about the same as out west, just a lot lower! Hence in wet seasons, lot more water crossings, higher water for longer, bugs bugs bugs...boggy areas turn to ponds, long springs mean late starts...snow lingers here on our higher peaks into June. We have quick rain events, sometimes not so quick...
    Early fall brings wet, rain, snow, wind, cold...and good days to hike too. Trail not as exposed as out West..w/the exception of the Whites.
    More IN the woods hiking...
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    <clip>I can't even imagine how god awful humid it must be in the deep south in summer.David
    *thread drift on*

chuckle....I attempted a 50 mile/4 day trip on the AT in August 2 summers ago...had to get off after 30 miles - got dehydrated in spite of my efforts, which included forcing down 1L of water an hour...

90 degree, 90% humidity is not unusual in GA/FL/AL/LA....

*thread drift off* please resume your normal thread development....
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BigFoot2002 View Post
    '02 was a dry year
    My partner in '08 had also thru hiked in '02. He couldn't believe the difference. He said in '02 that he never once even got his feet wet on a creek ford. Last summer we had some marginally dangerous raging crossings and knee deep mud in places. It was like a different trail, which I guess is good for someone doing it a second time!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Default Springs in the Smokies...

Does the spring behind Derek Knob shelter dry up in late summer?

Images

I haven't seen it dry, but supposedly 07 it did.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

mid july to mid-late august, it did nothing but rain. it was horrible

It was around zero degrees on Springer in early March http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=6936 Very cool temps through SNP in May, even saw snow and a lot of freezing rain.

Images

Default Wet up north, cold down south

I started sobo June 21,and it seemed to rain almost all the time untill I got to Vt. All the nobo's told me it was full of mud,but it was drying up for me. I also missed the drought down south.By the time I got there it rained frequently and water was good. Mid-Nov.,started getting snow regularly from the S.N.P. south to springer with temps in the single digits but usually 20-40*.Finished Jan.13.(yeah, technically not an '08 thru-hike,LOT'S of zero's.

Images

I don't remember much rain last year in the midatlantic - I remember a couple of dry springs in MD/PA last year.

I do remember 02 though - We had drought restrictions in PA & NJ. We als had township burning bans. I was leaving water at a few spots along the AT that summer, as well as bringing cold sodas to a couple of shelters and leaing them for hikers.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    I do remember 02 though - We had drought restrictions in PA & NJ. We als had township burning bans. I was leaving water at a few spots along the AT that summer, as well as bringing cold sodas to a couple of shelters and leaing them for hikers.
    My wife (GreasePot) hiked in '02, and she mentioned the water caches. Thanks for doing that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++