WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Approach Trail???

My husband and I are begining our thru hike this March and we are having a hard time deciding whether or not to do the approach trail. We know that it is a tradition but we heard that it was physically grueling. We are not in the best physical condition and planning to take it slow so the trail can whip us into shape. Im concerned we might get hurt before we even start. Is it worth it?
    Live the Dream Without risk, there is no reward. Georgia to Maine. What a reward!

The Approach Trail is nothing to fear. It WILL give an idea of what you are up against.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

If you are worried about traditions, don't forget to buy all new gear at Neel Gap.

Try searching the forums for this subject. There are a surprising amount of multi-page threads on the Approach Trail.

But remember it dosen't count as part of the 2175 miles. However it is the first blue blaze, so go for it.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

Roxy

Some people do the approach trail some don't. Yes it is a challange, but it certainly not that tough. The most important thing is to hike your own hike!! If it is stressing you, just start at Springer. Remember, the most important thing.......have fun! It's just walking! By the way, we are nearly neighbors, I live NE of Atlanta and travel to Charlotte often. When are you leaving? I wish you the very best of luck!

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by kg4fam View Post
    if You Are Worried About Traditions, Don't Forget To Buy All New Gear At Neel Gap.
    Lol
    Live the Dream Without risk, there is no reward. Georgia to Maine. What a reward!

Images

It's not that big a tradition. Just decide what is convenient for you when you start.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose2 View Post
    Roxy

Some people do the approach trail some don't. Yes it is a challange, but it certainly not that tough. The most important thing is to hike your own hike!! If it is stressing you, just start at Springer. Remember, the most important thing.......have fun! It's just walking! By the way, we are nearly neighbors, I live NE of Atlanta and travel to Charlotte often. When are you leaving? I wish you the very best of luck!
    We are leaving on March 7th... along with a lot of others! Its gonna be a mad house on springer!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roxy33x View Post
    My husband and I are begining our thru hike......having a hard time deciding whether or not to do the approach trail.......we heard that it was physically grueling.
    No more physically grueling than the rest of the trail. Just decide what works for y'all and go for it whatever you choose.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I started at the Approach Trail in 2006. It's tough for someone who's not in shape with too much gear. It's sort of traditional, but many, many people don't bother doing it. Fwiw, it's part of the original trail which originally started at Mt. Oglethorpe farther to the south. That's the real reason I decided to do it.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I wouldn't consider it a tradition as more of a convenience. If you stay at the park overnight then it is more convenient to just walk from the park than to get a ride down the forrest road. There's also an AYCE at the park. It's nice to start the day with a good full meal there then start your hike. I know a lot of people did the approach trail last year because they couldn't find a ride to the forrest rd without handing over more money for a shuttle. If you don't feel like doing it, then by all means don't. After the first couple hundred miles everyone kinda forgets that they even did it. An extra 8 miles doesn't matter either way in the bigger picture.

Images

Default not really

We are leaving on March 7th... along with a lot of others! Its gonna be a mad house on springer!
    Actually Springer won't be so bad as everyone is not there at the same time. Hawk Mountain, however will be a mad house when everyone tries to settle in for the night. Skip the approach and get to Hawk shelter early or find another spot to pitch your tent along the way.

My husband and I are begining our thru hike this March and we are having a hard time deciding whether or not to do the approach trail. We know that it is a tradition but we heard that it was physically grueling. We are not in the best physical condition and planning to take it slow so the trail can whip us into shape. Im concerned we might get hurt before we even start. Is it worth it?
    it's neither a tradition or physically grueling. it's just one way of several to start the AT. avoid hawk mtn. shelter. it's very crowded each night

I always do the approach trail because I hate to back-track

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I always do the approach trail because I hate to back-track
    Take the BMT south for a couple of miles to Springer. Cool blue blaze (although technically it's a white diamond).
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Eight miles of uphill versus a 1 mile backtrack

Though every year hiking the approach trail is a sweet way to pick up new gear while at the same time doing some volunteer trail work...all that new gear along the trail is also litter!

Axes, boom boxes, rope, a scuba mask, books, lanterns...Hell Yeah the approach trail is worth hiking

I wasn't there but I remember hearing about a lady who left her pack and entire contents in the Springer shelter and left...claiming she "just can't handle the mice"
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ramble~On View Post
    I wasn't there but I remember hearing about a lady who left her pack and entire contents in the Springer shelter and left...claiming she "just can't handle the mice"
    Geez, that's right! It's almost time to re-stock the mice in each shelter! How time flies.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Default the approach trail

well, the AT starts at the summit of Springer so the Approach trail does not count and a thru hiker does not need to do it. But the question that comes to mind is, why skip it? It is beautiful, not all that hard and starts at Amicolola state park headquarters (easy to get to and lots of parking). You could even sleep in the spiffy lodge the night before if you want. When I say it is not all that hard--there is some climbing-- but the climbing is nothing compared to what you are going to see in the coming week, never mind the next six months. And besides, you love hiking--if you didn't like hiking why ever would you be hiking the AT?

DavidNH

Images

Roxy, if you do the approach trail, you won't regret it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++