WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How do you manage the midnight piss?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    Just curious how others manage their midsleep urge to urinate. No genuine interest in individuals habits, just wanna see how the group lines up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    What, No pee in the bag and wake up after the fact?
    Oh, I guess that would be "other" sorry.
    Slo-go'en is on to something. This is the perfect time to bring up the Dr. Colon Flaccid backpacking style of efficient pee and turd dispersal:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=259056

how about when hiking?
    he don't hike no more.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i wear Depends at nite. i just poo and pee myself silly
    Good you have a good source of gloves now!

I don't select the NEAREST tree, but it's rare that I wander too far to add to the great amber stream. I'd say just far enough that no one wakes up wondering if someone is peeing on THEIR tent!

And knowing this, I NEVER wander out without something on my feet. That ain't always dew on the ground next to the closest pee tree!

The good news is that if I went before hitting the sack, and I woke up needing to, then I'm doing a fair job staying adequately hydrated, and I'll try to remember to drink some more before heading back to bed. If I don't get up once, and don't wake up feeling like my eyeballs are floating, then I'm not getting enough water, and need to seriously pay attention to hydration tomorrow.

HYOH, and tote yer own water.

Ranc0r

Images

how about when hiking?
    You know , his post does end with " Spray My Shoes !! "
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

I didn't do the poll.
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Images

Tried a bottle once, never again. Just isn't as easy for ladies... So I get up...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Tried a bottle once, never again. Just isn't as easy for ladies... So I get up...
    I had a lady once try to explain to me how females pee in a bottle...very weird situation. I wanted to say: "LADY, why are you telling me this?"

I set my tent up with the midnight piss in mind, so I guess my answer would be: "go to a designated waste area". However, I do carry a bottle during the very cold months.

Images

One of the most specatular sights I saw was at Russel Field, November, temperature about 8*, when nature called. Put my glasses on, staggered out the door after fumbling noisily out the gate in the shelter fence (getting more urgent all the time) and stumbled to the rear of the shelter where the wind wouldn't blow me away. The relief made me tip my head back, and lo and behold! the stars were out!! So awe inspiring, I was beyond shivering and actually shaking before I realized I was still standing there exposed!

Quote Originally Posted by mark schofield View Post
    I'm almost 66, so the midnight pee is normal. For you young guys, the older I (you?) get, the more I pee and the slower I walk. A vision of things to come. Mark S.
    I stealth camped, thus mostly tented alone. However, from time to time there were a number of us older guys camping together. In that case, you don't just get up and pee for your own needs but you also get up and do sympathy pees. The chorus of tent zippers is more than most folks can sleep through...so since you're awake anyway you might as well get up and pee out of speculation and in sympathy for your fellow hikers. You're speculating that if you go to the trouble of finding something to pee on that there will be pee to pee. Some nights I think I spent more time peeing than sleeping.
    The first time I met Lion King during the night I went walking out away from my tent to pee. On my way back to my tent I stepped on barbed wire. Usually I slipped something on my feet but that night... I didn’t bother. It went all the way into the arch of my foot. I put iodine on it but over the next bunch of days hiking on it... it was getting sorer. I got to a motel and there turned out to be a super EMT there who was day hiking. He had a junk car that was worth $25 and with a medical bag in the trunk that may have been worth $100s. He opened my foot up, scrubbed it and sprinkled magic dust on it. It healed up fast and I made sure I wore something on my feet when going out to pee after that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    A demoted 32-oz Gatorade bottle. I ain't leaving my tent/sleeping bag. winter=cold summer=bugs

This guy gets it.
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

Images

Just as cold outside the tent as inside. I'd hate to try the bottle in the bag.
    Summer=bugs Less bugs in the middle of the night, or so I've noticed.

Images

My mom has figured out how to do the pee bottle, and she's female.

As for me, I use my bladder muscles to do a forced pee before turning in for the night. I can usually make a 7 hour night sleep before having to go again.

Someone once said that thinking sexual thoughts will suppress the urge to pee. (This is somewhat reminiscent of the "cannot vomit and smile at the same time" trick.) Apparently you can be aroused, or urinating, but not both. I've never tried it, but he (it was a he, and an older he at that) claimed to have used that trick with some success. Not sure if it is just a male thing or not.

:: chuckles :: Oh the things I have talked about during Trail Days.

Images

Hammocking makes it super easy. Slide out of hammock, pee on bare ground under your hammock and tarp, return to hammock and snore.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    Just as cold outside the tent as inside. I'd hate to try the bottle in the bag.
    Summer=bugs Less bugs in the middle of the night, or so I've noticed.
    I think its the issue of leaving the sleeping bag, and if theres wind that'll sweep away your body heat.

mosquito are more active at night than daytime.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Quote Originally Posted by FaithWalker View Post
    Step outside, walk 50' from tent area, pee/wipe/bury TP/wash hands, walk back to tent, get back into tent/sleeping bag, go back to sleep.
    same here

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

Just let it hang out the entry slit in a HH. It'll be gone by morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Hammocking makes it super easy. Slide out of hammock, pee on bare ground under your hammock and tarp, return to hammock and snore.
    Why do you have to get out of the hammock? Just roll over on to your stomach, stick it through the holes in the hammock and just go.

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

If you hang it high enough the pee evaporates before it hits the ground

Images

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    My mom has figured out how to do the pee bottle, and she's female.

It'd be interesting any other way.

I'm kinda surprised that no one has mentioned a gallon zipper freezer bag yet. I don't leave the sleeping bag and when I'm done the bag goes out into the vesti. I only carry one gallon ziplock so there's no confusion as to what the bag is for and it doesn't weigh much when empty. If I'm not feeling that lazy or it isn't minus whatever * outside I might go as far as the closest tree..then again..right there in the vestibule has worked just fine too!
    If I'm in a hammock it's not a question cause I never leave anything under it within pee range.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++