WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Knife Help

Default Knife Help

So i'm in the market for a new knife, something like a Ka-Bar or similar... Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks

Images

What do you plan to do with it?
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Heavy, but very interesting history behind that knife.
    If I was to get anything similar, that would be it.

Images

Ontario Knife Company makes a good version of the KBar that the Marines use now, but I wouldn't carry it for hunting or the like.

Still interested to know what task you want it for, might make for better recommendations.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Interesting story behind the name. I finally looked it up. Not at all what I thought.
    I thought it was a military name similar to K-rations, or K9.

Images

Nope, Knife - BAR
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Unless you're going to try to use it as a hammer and hatchet (which I don't recommend) you might find a more functional fixed blade knife in the Swedish Mora style. Agile, blade of 3-5 inches, about 4 ounces average, comes with a waxed sheath. Tough, capable knifes the Samis and Laps have used in the arctic for centuries.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Nope, Knife - BAR
    That's a very good descriptive name,
    and probably a good part of the reason behind the name, but this might be the rest of it...

https://www.kabar.com/name.jsp

I wouldn't be surprised though if the KA-Bar company made that **** up. Is there another story behind the story? The Ontario Knife Company seems to have made most of them but doesn't present much history? The Marine Corp would probably be the most objective source, at least in this case.

Images

Ka-Bar began making them shortly after WWII started...they were well liked and before long all branches were using them...originally they were made for the Marine Corps.

There are many different variations.

Quality tool...and they're more of a tool than a knife. Might be a "tad" much for backpacking and if you happened to roll into a shelter and pull one out there could be a few gasps and odd looks given to you...and your trail name might be changed to "Shamanese" , "Jarhead", "Psyco", "Jason", "Stalker", "Jack the Ripper" or something along those lines.

For backpacking I'm pretty happy with this...except mine is a bright yellow & glows in the dark: http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/...&product=53005&

Though if you really want a Ka-Bar that will turn some heads ( or easily remove them )
    http://www.jaxknives.com/kabar/ka1249.html
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

i wanted a knife to split wood and other tasks like that

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ibigler5 View Post
    If you want to split wood, get a hatchet. Much safer and easier.

I've carried and used K-Bars a fair bit in the Marine Corps. They're better than nothing for pounding in a tent stake, but as a hatchet, they really suck.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

there are so many to chose from

Images

I have a gerber knife. It's worked for me.
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

You don't need to split wood on the trail! If you can't break a piece of wood with your hands or between the fork in a tree, its either too big to burn or too wet. All you need is a small pocket knife. That will do all the tasks you need to do.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    ... Swedish Mora style. Agile, blade of 3-5 inches, ... Tough, capable knifes the Samis and Laps have used in the arctic for centuries.
    Mine has a plastic sheath and a 4 in laminated, rust resistant blade. I've had it for near a half century. Very tough and practical, but I doubt the Sami were using this knife for many centuries. The pattern is certainly quite old, but I imagine it was invented by Swedish smiths a few centuries back, and got adopted by Swedish woodsmen , and traded to the Sami for their meat, hides and other reindeer products. There are quite a few Swedish master smiths, since Sweden has been an iron and steel maker for a long time. The Sami are not very industrial, at least until recently. If you need an axe, Granfors will sell you one in a number of traditional patterns. Very fine, traditional work with up to date steels from Sandvik and the like.

People tell me this is too much knife for hiking:
    http://www.vtarmynavy.com/victorinox-adventurer.htm
    But I've carried it for over 10 years and am not about to give it up. Opens cans much better than the Wenger knives, and I can split fairly good size sticks with it if I hit the back of the blade with another stick.
    Locking blade is a very good safety feature.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

i love the kabar but it is a bit much for backpacking. i second the vote for the mora. if it cant do it you are camping not backpacking. although i do a little camping and bushcraft so i usually keep a small axe in my pack and a saw.

Samurai Hiker
    Images

Another vote for the Mora. Definitely light enough for backpacking, even though hardcore ultralighters probably think 4.25-4.5 ounces is too much(that includes the sheath). Also versatile enough to be used for most bushcraft type uses. You can get one from sportsmansguide.com for about $11.
    Trail Name: Ronin

Ronin were the epitome of self-determination; they were independent men who dictated their own path in life, answering only to themselves and making decisions as they saw fit.

Default Picture?

So i'm in the market for a new knife, something like a Ka-Bar or similar... Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks
    I have a friend in Illinois who was in the Navy in WWII and spent time in the So. Pacific. He has the fighting knife that was issued to him. It has about a 7" almost black blade, circular grooved leather grip and a steel butt plate with a nut on it. It is a beautiful piece. Would this have been a K-bar?

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++