WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Savoring Happy!

Default Fund to get TOW home.

I'm not much for asking for money, couldn't even sell my Boy Scout candy bars as a kid, but I've gotten a stuff bag full of e-mails and PMs about contributing some bucks to TOW so he can get home for his mom's goodbye. I called Jeff at MRO in Damascus and he graciously agreed to set up a fund through his store Paypal account. If you're interested in sending a few bucks or pennies to Larry please do so by logging on to www.paypal.com and send what ever you'd like via Paypal account [email protected] and earmark it as "HOBO TOW"

Thanks to Jeff and all the rest of the crew at MRO and thanks to everyone who takes the effort to give The Only Wanderer a leg up.

TaTonka
    I am Who I am because I've been THERE .

i gave him $100 bucks yesterday. where is he?

i don't know who TOW is or what the situation is w/ his mom

what's the story?

Thanks for getting this set up. I hope everything works out okay. TOW is one in a million and I know it means a lot to him to be there for his Mother's funeral.

Thanks for doing this No Belay. I don't know TOW, but everybody should be able to go to their Mother's funeral. I wish him, and you, the best.

Pringles

Savoring Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Hey Wolf, Sorry I wasn't more specific. Check out the thread below about TOW's mom for a little background on Larry's situation. He's on his way back to Damascus after spending the night in the hospital near Crossville , Tn. and according to Jeff should be back in Damascus by 2pm. The funds are being collected to get him on a bus, train , plane or whatever so that he can get to Joplin Missouri to attend his mom's funeral which is scheduled for Monday. I'm starting my Thru next week so I'll be able to give him a ride back to Damascus after the funeral. THe fund was not of my conception. I received communications from other WB members after they read the first thread wanting to know how they could to contribute. There is no pressure to do so, just the opportunity if you wish to.

TaTonka

Greyhound-12:30 p.m. bus from Marion to Joplin $164 non-refundable ticket. Ride is a little over 24 hours, bus leaves on Sat. and Sun.

No Amtrak service close enough.

Plane he might be able to get a funeral discount, but I don't know how that works exactly.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

sad, moms are awesome

i wish i could do more

all the best T.O.W.

peace

Default Let me help

I live just south of I-40 at Jackson, TN. If someone can get TOW that far, I will carry him to Joplin and stay with him until after the funeral and bring him back to at least Nashville. Let me know quick. Thanks

Images

Man I love you WBlazers. Way to go!!
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Plane he might be able to get a funeral discount, but I don't know how that works exactly.

George Costanza does. Ask him.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Don't know him, never met him, but he needs some help. Just made a transfer to MRO.

Lone Wolf, I know you've been watching over and helping him. Your contribution to him was really generous. Good for you, Man!

Best wishes TOW, I lost my Mom in 2005, so I have an idea how you might feel. Take good care and I wish you the best.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    George Costanza does. Ask him.
    You think this thread is an appropriate venue for your attempt at humor, do you? Because I doubt if I'm the only one who thinks otherwise.
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Default Check this if feasible....

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post

There is a Greyhound leaving Bristol, TN tonight at 8:15 P.M., and arrives in Jackson, TN at 8:55 A.M. tomorrow morning. I can pick him up there and go on the Joplin.

I hate overnight rides on Greyhound but have done it several times. I know nothing about TOW's physical condition but this might work.

Give me a holler if you think this will work.

Savoring Happy!

Default The generosity of WBs is humbling

Thanks to everyone who helped, Larry has received enough for his ticket home. No other contributions are needed for that purpose, Thanks to those of you that cared but weren't able too contibute. Compassion is the best contribution of all.

TaTonka

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    There is a Greyhound leaving Bristol, TN tonight at 8:15 P.M., and arrives in Jackson, TN at 8:55 A.M. tomorrow morning. I can pick him up there and go on the Joplin.

I hate overnight rides on Greyhound but have done it several times. I know nothing about TOW's physical condition but this might work.

Give me a holler if you think this will work.
    Hey, let me check on that. I just sent you a PM. Where I am going to need to go is about 30 miles east of Joplin, Missouri.......

Journal Entries
    Images

Kenati is going to be picking me up tomorrow in Jackson, Tn and driving me home.

This communtiy folks are something else, I am very awed!

Images

You help a lot of people and never ask for even a thanks. You deserve all we can do for you. Don't sell yourself short.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

i love white blaze!
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by No Belay View Post
    I'm not much for asking for money, couldn't even sell my Boy Scout candy bars as a kid, but I've gotten a stuff bag full of e-mails and PMs about contributing some bucks to TOW so he can get home for his mom's goodbye. ...
    Thanks to Jeff and all the rest of the crew at MRO and thanks to everyone who takes the effort to give The Only Wanderer a leg up.
    Thanks to you, TaTonka, for being willing to jump in, coordinate calls and PM's, drive TOW home, and get with Jeff. And thanks to Jeff for setting up the account. And thanks to all who are pitching in.

Right now it seems Larry is on the way to Jackson tonight, so we will not see him in Nashville tomorrow night, if I read the posts correctly. But, it seems you, TaTonka, will be driving him back through Nashville early next week on the way to Damascus, and will stop off? Just keep us posted.

Again, thanks to all.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++