Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
They are not really thru-hikers until they finish. Until then they are hikers just like anyone else really. So no, they already get special privileges that weekenders do not, so no special priority.

That said, I always give up my spot in those shelters when I have a res. I hate shelters.
Told you I'd get reprimanded. You guys are right. Here's a little GSMNP story:

Last year 3/31, at Ice Water Springs we were all tucked in and most were asleep. It was cold, raining and the shelter was over full as you might expect. 2 or 3 tents set up near by. Then, this family came in at 11:00 P. M.. They were not hiking. They were traveling by car, which they left at Newfound Gap. They were on their way from Detroit to Florida to a wedding. They just decided it would be neat to spend the night in a shelter. The grandpa, my age or there bouts scooted in beside me and decided he wanted to talk. I tried to ignore him but he wasn't discouraged. I grunted a few times but that's all he got out of me. A friend of the family, a guy about 22 years old scooted in on the other side of me. We gave a new meaning to the term packed in like sardines. And, this guy was sick with a cold, I mean had fever, coughing, the whole works. I buried my head in my sleeping bag trying to escape the virouses. Then to top it all off, the teenagers in the group got out their cooking gear and began cooking!! And they kept running in and out talking to Grandpa and the sick friend. I think it was about 1:30 P.M. before they setteled down.

This really happened.