WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Didn't go over well.....

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    They are not really thru-hikers until they finish. Until then they are hikers just like anyone else really. So no, they already get special privileges that weekenders do not, so no special priority.

That said, I always give up my spot in those shelters when I have a res. I hate shelters.
    Told you I'd get reprimanded. You guys are right. Here's a little GSMNP story:

Last year 3/31, at Ice Water Springs we were all tucked in and most were asleep. It was cold, raining and the shelter was over full as you might expect. 2 or 3 tents set up near by. Then, this family came in at 11:00 P. M.. They were not hiking. They were traveling by car, which they left at Newfound Gap. They were on their way from Detroit to Florida to a wedding. They just decided it would be neat to spend the night in a shelter. The grandpa, my age or there bouts scooted in beside me and decided he wanted to talk. I tried to ignore him but he wasn't discouraged. I grunted a few times but that's all he got out of me. A friend of the family, a guy about 22 years old scooted in on the other side of me. We gave a new meaning to the term packed in like sardines. And, this guy was sick with a cold, I mean had fever, coughing, the whole works. I buried my head in my sleeping bag trying to escape the virouses. Then to top it all off, the teenagers in the group got out their cooking gear and began cooking!! And they kept running in and out talking to Grandpa and the sick friend. I think it was about 1:30 P.M. before they setteled down.

This really happened.

Images

But if they had a reservation it was their spot. But that is a good example of why it isn't fun to stay in shelters.

I've stayed at many of them in the Smokies, I've only ever slept in one of them.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    Told you I'd get reprimanded. You guys are right. Here's a little GSMNP story:

Last year 3/31, at Ice Water Springs we were all tucked in and most were asleep. It was cold, raining and the shelter was over full as you might expect. 2 or 3 tents set up near by. Then, this family came in at 11:00 P. M.. They were not hiking. They were traveling by car, which they left at Newfound Gap. They were on their way from Detroit to Florida to a wedding. They just decided it would be neat to spend the night in a shelter. The grandpa, my age or there bouts scooted in beside me and decided he wanted to talk. I tried to ignore him but he wasn't discouraged. I grunted a few times but that's all he got out of me. A friend of the family, a guy about 22 years old scooted in on the other side of me. We gave a new meaning to the term packed in like sardines. And, this guy was sick with a cold, I mean had fever, coughing, the whole works. I buried my head in my sleeping bag trying to escape the virouses. Then to top it all off, the teenagers in the group got out their cooking gear and began cooking!! And they kept running in and out talking to Grandpa and the sick friend. I think it was about 1:30 P.M. before they setteled down.

This really happened.
    1000s of acres of woods around the shelter. shoulda been in them

Quote Originally Posted by ofthearth View Post
    The res. system is a bit confusing and that is why I asked the person for something in writing - to no avail at this time. As I understand it - four spaces are left open, regardless of the size of the shelter, for thru-hikers. 12 spaces - 4 for thrus. 8 spaces still 4 left open for thru-hikers. And it would seem to be as you say - that hikers with reservations are guaranteed space.

My concern is more the other way. I want to know how to avoid having to stay IN the shelter without getting hassled.
    see post #6

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    tell me you're not serious. i'll reach thru and female dog slap you
    Noooo, I'm not serious......Actually, what I really think is that it should be on a first come, first serve basis like ever other facility on the trail.

Happy birthday.

***! - so no one has actually answered this question. does it even matter then?
    just F-it and stay in your tent?

what i was looking for was HOW and WHERE THEY ARE REQUIRED... and try not to be an ass about it, tell stories, and give your IMHO's.

just the facts please. Remember, this is the Question and Answer forum.

Quote Originally Posted by phillycheze View Post
    hey all!-
    i was wondering how to make reservations at the shelters, huts, cabins, etc. at the places that require u to do so while u are on the trail.
    ...and which places actually require the reservation.
    is it just GSNP and the Whites?
    -help-
    GSMNP, Baxter and SNP. self registration

Journal Entries
    Images

No way to reserve a shelter in GSNP if you are a thru hiker. Right? Just self register to be in the park and take your chances with getting a spot that others have not reserved

Only SOBOs reserve a shelter in advance at Baxter. All other thrus just show up.

hey all!-
    i was wondering how to make reservations at the shelters, huts, cabins, etc. at the places that require u to do so while u are on the trail.
    ...and which places actually require the reservation.
    is it just GSNP and the Whites?
    -help-

what i was looking for was HOW and WHERE THEY ARE REQUIRED... and try not to be an ass about it, tell stories, and give your IMHO's.

Funny you should point out this a "question and answer FORUM" then complain about the answers. If you want just the FACTS then, for example, call the GSNP and ask them your question. Or be more EXACT in your own questions. Are you a thru-hiker or a section hiker or what? The rules in the GSNP vary as should have been obvious from the responses that you got.

does it even matter then?

may not be a bad idea. enjoy your hike

Funny you should point out this a "question and answer FORUM" then complain about the answers.
    You have to admit, he has the perfect avatar.

Images

Welcome to Whiteblaze
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

No reservations required in GSMNP this week. Temp was -20*F at Mt Leconte this morning
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    No way to reserve a shelter in GSNP if you are a thru hiker. Right?
    Wrong.

other numbers

I asked the person where I would look on their sites for specific information regarding thru hikers and shelters. She did not think there was anything in writing on the site but said that four (4) spaces are left open for thru hikers.
    Historically, the thru hiker slots were only held out in the Spring. Typically, April through mid June. The number has varied from two to four, with four being the more recent figure.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Pay Reserve What?

I don't get it myself... if you are in the woods to get away from the city why should you pay to sleep? If that is the case go to a Hotel. I mite say F the AT and the so called rules. From the sounds of it this is a Highway for feet not a "TRAIL" so why even walk it? There should be a speed limit on this "Trail", if someone wants to charge for you to sleep come on people heck maybe someday you Fine AT Folks mite charge to walk this Trail... what 2 dollars a step or more!. An another thing why would you want to stay in a shelter? Your going to the Great Outdoors to be one with Nature not a shelter get out from under the Roof and sit in the rain.

Images

No charge for shelters, except in the Whites at the huts. May be a couple of others of which I'm not aware, but by and large, no charge and first come, first served. Reservations are required in the Smokies and a few other places, but they're easy to get and free.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post
    Wrong.
    Thank you for clearing up my confusion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    nothing in there about space set aside for thru-hikers

This side of the dirt
    Images

QUESTION:
    Does anyone know if the rangers check to see if you are stealth camping in GSMNP?

I know if you are truly in a stealth ( the act or action of proceeding furtively, secretly, or imperceptibly ) site you shouldn't be found, but just wondering if they check.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++