WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Something I have been tempted to try in GSMNP is a backcountry off-trail pass with the park. This makes you stay off the trail at night, but you are also not tied to any particular campsite. So if you got one you would have to stealth every night without a fire. A guy I was talking to at Soruck got one, he used it for weeks of hiking so he could go or stay where ever he want as he knocked out all 800 miles of trail in the Smokies. Rockhound would remember his name cause he stayed at Standing Bear a bunch of times and Rockhound rode to soruck with him.
    Worldwide?

Images

That was him!
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Something I have been tempted to try in GSMNP is a backcountry off-trail pass with the park. This makes you stay off the trail at night, but you are also not tied to any particular campsite. So if you got one you would have to stealth every night without a fire. A guy I was talking to at Soruck got one, he used it for weeks of hiking so he could go or stay where ever he want as he knocked out all 800 miles of trail in the Smokies. Rockhound would remember his name cause he stayed at Standing Bear a bunch of times and Rockhound rode to soruck with him.
    Sounds like a very good idea, especially for folks who don't like to use shelters anyway.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    In the Whites, you can just show up at the campsites, and pay right there... no need for reservations. If you're trying to get a spot in a hut though, the only way to ensure a spot is to reserve... however hut spots cost $$$$. There sometimes are hut spots available to hikers for work-for-stay. I did work for stay at Lake of the Clouds hut, and also at Mt. Greylock down in MA. For both though, if the camp/hut is full, you have to move on, though the rules for camping off trail are pretty reasonable in the Whites... just stay a certain distance away from water or camps/huts and the trail, and you're OK.
    Last August, there were more thru-hikers looking for work for stay at Lake of the Clouds than there were spots. I believe the overflow was allowed to either stay in the dungeon underneath or pay $10 or so to sleep on the floor in the dining hall. Many of the other campsites were near or over capacity and I didn't see them turn anyone away. They either squeezed more people onto the platforms or some cowboy camped next to the shelter or tent platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Last August, there were more thru-hikers looking for work for stay at Lake of the Clouds than there were spots. I believe the overflow was allowed to either stay in the dungeon underneath or pay $10 or so to sleep on the floor in the dining hall. Many of the other campsites were near or over capacity and I didn't see them turn anyone away. They either squeezed more people onto the platforms or some cowboy camped next to the shelter or tent platforms.
    Yeah, that's usually the case at the huts during thru-hiker seasons... I got to LotC Hut early and was able to get one of two available spots. And I also think (though could be wrong... someone out there know?) that you have to pay to sleep in the Dungeon. When I went through in '98 they wouldn't let anyone sleep on the diningroom floor, but that abviously has changed since then as you say.

When I went through though, I never encountered a too-full campsite, but had heard stories of people having to hike on further. Never saw it myself though.

I loved hiking the Whites... I think next time I hike through the section, I would 100% bring a hammock. The ground was rarely flat enough for a tent, but there were plenty of trees below treeline that would have worked well.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Yeah, that's usually the case at the huts during thru-hiker seasons... I got to LotC Hut early and was able to get one of two available spots. And I also think (though could be wrong... someone out there know?) that you have to pay to sleep in the Dungeon. When I went through in '98 they wouldn't let anyone sleep on the diningroom floor, but that abviously has changed since then as you say.

When I went through though, I never encountered a too-full campsite, but had heard stories of people having to hike on further. Never saw it myself though.

I loved hiking the Whites... I think next time I hike through the section, I would 100% bring a hammock. The ground was rarely flat enough for a tent, but there were plenty of trees below treeline that would have worked well.
    Timing is everything. We knew we were going during thru-hiker season. What we didn't know is that we were going during college orientation season, which goes from last week of August for approx. 4 weeks. Lots of kids taking up lots of space at the campsites. They were well-behaved and we had no issues.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I found the croo at the huts pretty reasonable with hiker overflow. We had a ton at Lakes of the Clouds (like 10 I think or so) yet they let us stay in the dining hall. You don't want to stay in the dungeon anyway - wet, muddy, slimy, cold, ugh. They were great at Galehead too when we had a lot of hikers.

The only one we had an interesting stay at was Carter Notch in '07. The hutmaster was an ogre who hated thru hikers (the gal there was nice). We did okay there (though we had to work several jobs - only hut that had us do this), but others had stories of being turned away at 4 PM because it was too early, etc. And the max was 4 people helping, that was it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    and this why the rules totally suck. if late arriving res holders they every right to kick out 5 thru-hikers in the rain. thru-hikers should get res's too. or the park should build a twin shelter at every site
    Luckily most weekenders, spring breakers, etc. don't know this and you can ignore it and just claim your spot. I know I'll get reprimanded for saying that, but darn-it thru-hikers are the ones who should have priority!!!

Just an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    I know I'll get reprimanded for saying that, but darn-it thru-hikers are the ones who should have priority!!!

Just an opinion.

No, they really shouldn't. They should follow the rules like everyone else.

Just my opinion.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

No, they really shouldn't. They should follow the rules like everyone else.

Just my opinion.
    Thru-hikers should bow to section-hikers. After all, section hikers are easy yogi targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    Luckily most weekenders, spring breakers, etc. don't know this and you can ignore it and just claim your spot. I know I'll get reprimanded for saying that, but darn-it thru-hikers are the ones who should have priority!!!

Just an opinion.
    tell me you're not serious. i'll reach thru and female dog slap you

Images

They are not really thru-hikers until they finish. Until then they are hikers just like anyone else really. So no, they already get special privileges that weekenders do not, so no special priority.

That said, I always give up my spot in those shelters when I have a res. I hate shelters.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

Default Back Country Cross Country Permit Revealed!

That would be me.

To get this pass you need to go to Sugarlands visitors center and meet with the Back Country Ranger Supervisor George Minnigh and have him give you his blessing. This took me over 10 days to achieve. Expect a gear check and land nav skill check. The ultimate question of "why do you want this pass?" will come up. The wrong answer is "To harvest ginseng and ramps"

That being said they give out less than 1 back country cross country permit every 2 years. However, that is because noone knows to ask. It is impractical for a thru hike really. To knock out the entire park it was the ultimate access pass.

Also in GSMNP you are a "thru hiker" if you start and end your hike 80 miles outside of the park. So you can do a section of the AT and still use the "thru hiker" spots at a shelter

Peace Out

Have fun in the Smokies!

sheep love pens

Images

You could also use the BMT, only one shelter for it in the whole park.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

You could also use the BMT, only one shelter for it in the whole park.
    is that where they keep the sheep?

so, back to the original question of this forum:

how do u make the reservations while on the trail and where do u have to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by phillycheze View Post

Click here

Images

Quote Originally Posted by phillycheze View Post

U pick up the phone at Springer shelter and call ahead to the next shelter you plan to stay at and have them put your name on the list
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    U pick up the phone at Springer shelter and call ahead to the next shelter you plan to stay at and have them put your name on the list
    and bring lots of quarters

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++