WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

i'm not sure, but an old listenine bottle should hold up for a long time, as the plastic is able to handle the heavy dose of alcohol it normally holds

thanks for the heads up on the nalgenes.

Gaiter thank god that was your nalgene and not your stomach!!!
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

I sent an email to the company asking about the MSR fuel bottles.
    Thanks for contacting Cascade Designs. What you heard is correct, denatured alcohol oxidizes bottles and will essentially ruin it with extended us. We do not recommend storing denatured alcohol in our bottles.

I had a lexan bottle from walmart disintegrate when I kept white gas in it.
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

formerly amazonwoman

when I started reading this I ran to check my bottle. Have had DN alcohol in a plastic water bottle for over a year and it's still strong. I have mine clearly marked with orange duct tape and then sharpied on "DO NOT DRINK" "STOVE FUEL"
    Dancer (Julie)
    "What saves a man (woman) is to take a step. Then another step." ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

the plastic water bottles are Ok afaik - the bottles with an issue are the Nalgenes that are not the polycarbonate (clear) type - ie the older style white Nalgenes

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Bug View Post
    I sent an email to the company asking about the MSR fuel bottles.
    Thanks for contacting Cascade Designs. What you heard is correct, denatured alcohol oxidizes bottles and will essentially ruin it with extended us. We do not recommend storing denatured alcohol in our bottles.
    MSR ALUMINUM fuel bottles?????
    They can handle white gas but not alcohol?
    That's very surprising.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I have a discontinued Nalgene plastic bottle specifically designed to hold fuel. It's red, has an internally stored pour spout, is marked on the bottom "FLPE" and has a #2 for the recycling number. I believe the "LPE" stands for Linear PolyEthylene, but I don't know what the "F" stands for (no wise cracks, please ).
    Edit: I actually have two. One is a quart size, one is a pint. I bought them at least 5 years ago at New England Backpacker outside of Worcester, Ma.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I have a discontinued Nalgene plastic bottle specifically designed to hold fuel. It's red, has an internally stored pour spout, is marked on the bottom "FLPE" and has a #2 for the recycling number. I believe the "LPE" stands for Linear PolyEthylene, but I don't know what the "F" stands for (no wise cracks, please.
    Fluorinated high-density polyethylene.

The fluorocarbon acts like a teflon coating. Well, maybe kinda sorta. OK, so not at all. But it does reduce solvent penetration into the walls of the container.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Fluorinated high-density polyethylene.

The fluorocarbon acts like a teflon coating. Well, maybe kinda sorta. OK, so not at all. But it does reduce solvent penetration into the walls of the container.
    Thanks. Good to know. Makes me think of all those fluorocarbons I've been leaving on cross country ski trails the past 30 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++