WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I used a watch too. Compass was built into it.

Hi, Sgt Rock!!! Long time no see!!!!! Hope you're well.

(sorry for the interruption....)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Doing better thanks.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

List looks pretty good to me so far. Looks like you got it in gear (bad pun)
    Skip the sunglasses. Repair kits aren't needed - duct tape will do for temp fix. I also take dental floss for teeth and repair. Need gloves. I might also bring a liner as you only have a 20 degree bag and you are still in Feb (it can get to single digits in the mtns). Hope you have 3 pairs of socks.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Do we think I'll be warm enough with what I got for the first couple of weeks?
    I don't see a change of clothes in case what your wearing gets wet. Since your leaving in February you should have something dry to change into.

Panzer

Images

Thermarest Prolite 3 short length (13)
    For a February start I think you should have a full length matress, else when you sleep on snow your feet may get real cold.

Panzer

Dude you got your base pack down to 16 pounds for winter.......we cant help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    For a February start I think you should have a full length matress, else when you sleep on snow your feet may get real cold.

Panzer
    Put your feet on that vapor trail. It works perfectly. I had the same setup.

Images

I also like to bring a Tyvek ground cloth for use under the tent or when sleeping in a shelter for use under a sleeping bag/matress to keep it clean.

Panzer

Images

Okay, I know a lot of hikers don't carry maps, I've heard all the pros and cons, and it's hotly debated at times, but in the end all I can say is that I wish I had a dollar for everytime somebody who didn't carry a map wanted to look at mine.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Runsalone View Post
    Put your feet on that vapor trail. It works perfectly. I had the same setup.
    He might want to put that under his head for a pillow.

Panzer

Yeah, the plan is to use the vapor trail for my leg-sleeping-pad. The comments about a dry set of clothes are valid, especially for the cold early going. perhaps I will bring a second pair of long underwear bottoms and a long underwear top that i keep dry.

A have a sleeping bag liner, which would add 6 ounces. but the sleeping bag is very new, and is at least true to its 20 degree rating.

How much does a tyvex ground sheet weigh?... again, i've spent a lot of nights in shelters and never used one, but maybe ive been missing out. It seemed unessecary at first, but I will look into it. thanks

for a pillow i just use whatever clothes I'm not wearing stuffed in a stuff sack. I've never had issues here.

www.tnhikingforums.com double j's Avatar
    Images

looks good

Images

for a pillow i just use whatever clothes I'm not wearing stuffed in a stuff sack. I've never had issues here.
    Well if you take the clothes out of the pack and use the clothes for a pillow then there will be nothing left in your pack to keep your feet warm. If your sleeping on snow in February this could be an issue. To start with the mattress is a 3 season mattress, not a winter mattress.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    Well if you take the clothes out of the pack and use the cloth for a pillow then there will be nothing left in your pack to keep your feet warm. If your sleeping on snow in February this could be an issue. To start with the mattress is a 3 season matress, not a winter mattress.

Panzer

I see your point. but the padding of the vapor trail is roughly comparable to the thickness of your standard 3 season ridge rest / z rest. so its not a complete loss.

some luxury is going to be lost, that's for sure. But with my knees, I'd like to keep things light and simple

Images

you could just take a shortened piece of CCF pad to use as a sit pad, and then at night stick that baby down by your feet.
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

I used a vapor trail, an old worn out thermarest ultralite, And a WM alpine light (same bag as yours just cut wider). Pretty much the same setup, as yours, and I took it comfortably down to 15 degrees or so with no extra clothes on (socks t shirt shorts.) If it gets down around 0-10 you may need to throw on some thermals or maybe your insulation layer. But It worked pretty good for me

P.S. I was flat tarping it too so your cloudburst should keep you a few degrees warmer. Also Im a warm sleeper

Get outside on a really cold night and try your rig out (I bet youve already thought of this) You may need to consider some of the other posters suggestions if you are a cold sleeper.!!

Why the big tarptent? (no disrespect) You must like to sleep all sprawed out

Quote Originally Posted by Runsalone View Post
    I used a vapor trail, an old worn out thermarest ultralite, And a WM alpine light (same bag as yours just cut wider). Pretty much the same setup, as yours, and I took it comfortably down to 15 degrees or so with no extra clothes on (socks t shirt shorts.) If it gets down around 0-10 you may need to throw on some thermals or maybe your insulation layer. But It worked pretty good for me

P.S. I was flat tarping it too so your cloudburst should keep you a few degrees warmer. Also Im a warm sleeper

Get outside on a really cold night and try your rig out (I bet youve already thought of this) You may need to consider some of the other posters suggestions if you are a cold sleeper.!!

Why the big tarptent? (no disrespect) You must like to sleep all sprawed out

Yeah - I do really enjoy my space in the cloudburst, it's palatial. I think for me the space of the cloudburst has allowed me, traditionally a tent users, to adjust to a more tarp like situation. ... my buddy will be using a sublite from tarptent, so maybe I'll try that one out and realize the size of the cloudburst is too much.

As for the sleeping set up. I have used the WM ultralite winter camping in colorado (with a liner, and a 4 season pad) and been fine ... I'm thinking everything I'll figure out pretty quickly if I've underestimated georgia's winter.

Good to hear runsalone that the same general set up worked for you

I would second the sit pad made from some scrap closed cell pad, or buy a walmart cheapo and cut to fit your buttocal area, lol. Sitting on benches etc, when its' cold out sucks the heat out, and its' simply more comfortable. Not to mention when things are wet/damp. Multi use item. Mine is permanent part of my pack, no matter the weather.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++