WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default water-filter adapter for any plastic bottle

This is so simple, I'm almost embarrassed to mention it. For my water filters (I have a ULA and a Kataydin), I have adapters that fit wide-mouth Nalgenes and small bottles, but nothing to fit a Gatorade or PowerAde bottle, and these are my current favorites for carrying water. So I took a cap from one of the bottles (I have quite a collection) and reamed a hole in the top using a skinny blade from my Swiss Army knife. I enlarged it until the filter hose just fit through, and that's it. Cheap, replaceable, and functional.

Nice invention, and easy enough to improvise from the trail.

I use platy's now as my water dish, with the little right-angle doohicky they sell to adapt it to my Pur Hiker. Almost made one myself, but I couldn't resist buying it cuz it's got the threads and all.

Thanks, Jonnycat. It was too icy that day to take the dog to the park (too icy for me, that is, not for my husky), so messing around with my outdoor gear was the next best thing.

Same concept I have been using-- only buy a straight plastic tubing adabpter. Cut the hole a little bit smaller than the body of the adapter, and push it through. Slip on your tubing and small (1/4") piece on the under-side-- and your done- NO leaks- no possible contamination if use a gravity system. I have pics if you would like to see them.

it seems like the simplest things are often the most useful. kytrailman, please post those pictures if you get a chance. a diy water filter is my next project.

I will post-up a how-to and pics of my gravity set-up later tonight.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think you can order an adapter from www.generalecology.com I have the first need XL model and it has a couple of adapters you can get maybe one will work for you.

I did the same thing with my MSR hyperflow filter. It fits fine on a soda/water bottle but I need a firmer connection for my powerade bottles and just cut a hole the size of a nickel works perfectly I made 2 just in case I lose one and put one in my filter bag and one in my kitchen kit.
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Default Gear

My brother was telling me about some website galacticsnowsports.com. Crazy low prices on used gear, anyone heard of it?

For a great shopping experience online, visit galacticsnowsports.com for great prices and even better service.

You have to work with either Melanie or Eliza at galacticsnowsports.com, some of the best customer service I've had so far! They Rock!

http://galacticsnowsports.com/

++ New Posts ++