WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Authorities looking for a Appalachian Trail hiker

Law enforcement authorities are looking for a former and possibly a current Appalachian Trail Hiker that goes by the name of "Crutch." His real name is Daniel Joseph Stearns.

He is wanted on charges that include theft in Florida, Iowa, and Colorado.

He is reported to be driving a red Toyota Camry with Florida tags.

He is known to frequent the Appalachian Trail and hostels and communities along the trail.

If you encounter this person please do not take matters in your own hands and contact Law Enforcement Authorities with this information.

He is approximately 6-6'1" tall, lean build, muscular, black or dark brown hair and brown eyes. His DOB is 11-02-1966.

This information has been confirmed and validated by the Chief Ranger for the Appalachian Trail, Ranger Todd Remaley.
    This account is a test account for posting news articles. Do not email or PM to this user.

Images

looks like it is time to pick a new trail name.

Images

[quote=WhiteBlaze;760131]Law enforcement authorities are looking for a former and possibly a current Appalachian Trail Hiker that goes by the name of "Crutch." His real name is Daniel Joseph Stearns.

quote]This will give whiteblazers something to talk about.

El Sordo
    Images

is this guy currently hanging around the trail?
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

i hope they catch him...and it goes down smoothly...crutch is the supernova of douche baggery...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

What is he accused of?
    Robbery?, indecent exposure? , loitering? murder? possesion?

prior record?

I'd don't think I'd like to see whiteblaze become a law enforcement venue. Just sayin.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    What is he accused of?

prior record?

I'd don't think I'd like to see whiteblaze become a law enforcement venue. Just sayin.
    Crutch has been a problem child for sometime on the trail. I think it is cool that WB took the first steps in making the hiking communtiy aware of this problem. And he is wanted in three different states.

Images

What is he accused of?

prior record?

Read the post - he is wanted for THEFT.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Registered User Caveman of Ohio's Avatar
    Images

Is it the same Crutch that was bringing pop up to Rock Gap Shelter in 07? He was offering to give us a ride into Franklin.

Images

probably...he was around franklin for a while in 2007...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

I met him in 2006 in Franklin. I heard later he had ripped off a few people and stole a car.
    Well, the beat goes on. Glad we are predominately honest folks just slugging out this wonderful life.

Images

Met him at Cloud 9 in 2007. He seemed to hang out there a lot to "help out the owners." Told me he was on his 7th thru-hike. Seemed like a nice guy and that's probably how he gets away with it.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

El Sordo
    Images

yeah, but is he hanging around the trail now? and if so, where?
    Dyslexics Untie!

Last April he was working at Cloud 9 hostel in Hiawassee, GA. I took him to dinner, (he drove), at the Boat House resturarant. I don't know about a criminal record but in my opinion and others, he is a "blow-hard" braggart who thinks he's a ladies man and also thinks he is the hiking guru. My good hiking friend Kabeer Singh a.k.a. Bad Hummus and I pegged him right off. I think a lot of other hikers did too.

Happy Hiking.

Images

This thread is an alert containing information confirmed and validated by AT Chief Ranger Todd Remaley. I view it as a public notice directed at an audience that could use the info to enhance their own safety. Obviously this fellow is considered to be a possible threat to hikers and businesses along the AT. I welcome such notices providing the source is reputable.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

I meet Crutch at the Fontana Hilton on my 08 hike, he and Colonel Mustard were camped there a few days before for the Bluegrass festival at the Fontana Village and helped with the Mini Cooper convention while waiting. They fought a wildfire that had threatened several buildings at Fontana Village sparked by a dropped powerline.
    Crutch liked to tell alot of tall tales like he had co-owned a microbrewery with his brother in Colorado and sold it. Also proclaimed himself to be a ladys man..... We saw thru him...it was obvious...

Images

Default Whose AT?

I'd don't think I'd like to see whiteblaze become a law enforcement venue.
    People who value the A.T. have an interest in who uses it and how they conduct themselves. It was meant to be a place where one could obtain relief from the ills of society in the good company of one's family, friends and other like-minded individuals. To not take an interest in who uses it and how they conduct themselves may fall short of aiding and abetting, but it's a path which leads to the same outcome.

It's not likely the A.T. will ever be a place the lawless find completely unattractive since it may have a particular appeal to such persons, not only because it may seem a place where their actions are wrongly thought less apt to be scrutinized but also because those who frequent it may be thought to be less guarded and thus more vulnerable to exploitation. This is all the more reason why it is proper to discuss normative behavior and what exceeds the limits of acceptable behavior.

There are appropriate ways for people to become involved. What's in the best interest of WhiteBlaze, individual A.T. enthusiasts and law enforcement to be posting here is something worthy of careful consideration.

Images

Default Who to contact?

ATC provides information on their website regarding how to go about contacting law enforcement authorities. I believe it was recently linked here by lauriep. This might be an appropriate time to relink it. Someone else may have more time to devote to locating this information than I do right now.

Images

Can anyone post a picture of him?

If its the same "Crutch" just type in his name on trailjournals website and several pictures of him are availabe. I met him last Mar/Apr on my NC section hike; seemed to like to talk a lot but I tented and he was staying in Wayah Bald shelter so I had little contact with him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++