WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Small hypo-allergenic breed.

Our small family has been talking about getting a dog. My wife is hypo-allergenic, only day-hikes, and would also prefer something small. I go on longer trips, with my daughter, and would like to take the dog along. I would like a dog that could do 20km days in spring/summer/fall, and also short trips but not long or fast trips in winter. Looking at some sort of poodle mix, but wondering how long the legs need to be, and also how big the dog needs to be for winter?

Also wondering how long a dog can be left alone. Is 7 hours a day 5 days a week too long? Would going home for 30 minutes to an hour at lunch be enough? Does having 2 small dogs vs 1 help, or make things worse? Mostly I'm curious about good breed choice, as we would wait until we are ready if our lifestyle is unsuitable.

Looking at animals like Yorkshire or West Island Terriers, Miniature but not Standard or Toy Poodle, also Terrier-Poodle mixes.
    Are there other breeds I'm missing, that are hypo-allergenic?

Images

Some good info from another site found when googleing hypoallergenic dogs.

Rather than asking which dog breed is hypoallergenic, we would rather ask “which dog breed is hypoallergenic for you?” The fact is, every individual is different and each person has a unique allergic threshold; this makes it impossible to generalize about hypoallergenic dog breeds for the general population.
    We suggest that if you are attracted to one of the recommended breeds below, find a breeder and spend some time at the breeder’s place of business. While there, remain cognizant of how you are feeling; are your usual allergic symptoms acting-up? This is the true pet allergy test; how you are feeling while visiting the breed you’re interested in!

I'm partial to wirehaired fox terriers myself, having grown up with an airedale and now having a rat terrier mix . They're supposed to be somewhat less allergen-producing. I think any dog will have problems with snow up to it's chest, so a bit taller is probably better.

lol
    My wife probably is hypo-allergenic, but she is also allergic to most dogs,
    so we would be looking for a hypo-allergenic dog.

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    Some good info from another site found when googleing hypoallergenic dogs.

Rather than asking which dog breed is hypoallergenic, we would rather ask “which dog breed is hypoallergenic for you?” The fact is, every individual is different and each person has a unique allergic threshold; this makes it impossible to generalize about hypoallergenic dog breeds for the general population.
    We suggest that if you are attracted to one of the recommended breeds below, find a breeder and spend some time at the breeder’s place of business. While there, remain cognizant of how you are feeling; are your usual allergic symptoms acting-up? This is the true pet allergy test; how you are feeling while visiting the breed you’re interested in!

I'm partial to wirehaired fox terriers myself, having grown up with an airedale and now having a rat terrier mix . They're supposed to be somewhat less allergen-producing. I think any dog will have problems with snow up to it's chest, so a bit taller is probably better.
    Thanks for that good advice.
    We've been testing my wife out with some local dogs we see, and see what breeders are in the region. Not all that clear what she is allergic too, or how bad, so we will do some more testing. From what I've just googled, poodle-mixes can be sketchy allergy wise, so a plain old poodle might be better. She likes them small, but I would need something bigger than a teacup, as I drink alot of tea when I hike and wouldn't want to choke on him.

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

I am very curious about this subject. I am highly allergic to dogs and cats, and have been around supposed non-allergenic dogs that had me sneezing and wheezing badly.

I have never been around a dog or cat that did not make me react, I have never considered the severity from breed to breed.

peace
    mf

My wife is allergic to many things, mostly trees and pollen, latex, and dogs and cats. Not severely life threatening, but serious enough to take benadril and stuff. Poodles are supposed to be the best because they apparently don't produce dander, but I've always been somewhat sceptical, because they are dogs, with fur, and skin. It must be a matter of degree. Bigger dogs that shed more must be worse. Also I can see how some fur and dead skin might be worse than others because of its chemical makeup, but poodles like any other dog must shed something right? Then again, people are mammals, and she isn't allergic to hairy people. It must be something in the dander, and there is apparently some variation among breeds of the same species, with poodles apparently being known for being less allergenic.

Interesting poodles are a hunting breed, from Russia I understant, so I don't understand why they are all that different. Perhaps they were bred for the type of fur they have, so it won't get tangled in brush, and the same adaptation that produced that effect made them hypo-allergenic. Perhaps its only the smaller poodles, developed from standard poodles, that are hypoallergenic. Not sure.

Images

I'm allergic to dogs but simply deal with it with over-the-counter meds. Well worth the runny nose and itchy eyes to have their companionship.

Images

Although all are not small a good dog for this would be a greyhound. I do believe there is a miniature breed, but they do not shed and have incredible agility stamina, and speed, and very personable.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    I'm allergic to dogs but simply deal with it with over-the-counter meds. Well worth the runny nose and itchy eyes to have their companionship.
    Have you noticed much difference between breeds,
    or the size of the dog, or the ammount of hair, or does a little set you off the same as alot?

One of the best attributes of the Bichon Frise breed is the fact that it's hypo-allergenic. There's a bit of variation in the breed, though. Our female is stocky, stoic, and has a wide stance. Our male is skinny, excitable, and energetic. I would have been more likely to take him on the trail than her when they were younger. (They're 14 YO now.) Both bark at the doorbell, which makes for a bit of security, but are otherwise peaceful and very good-natured. You might want to talk to a breeder and see what they think about taking them on the trail.

Sorry but there is no such thing as a NON allergenic dog.

Especially if your wife is allergic to everything.

What people are usually allergic to is not pet fur but their dander, which all dogs will have regardless of their "hypoallergenicity."

Quote Originally Posted by fljj48 View Post
    Although all are not small a good dog for this would be a greyhound. I do believe there is a miniature breed, but they do not shed and have incredible agility stamina, and speed, and very personable.
    I have seen whippets, which are like small greyhounds. Unfortunately I think I need a hairy dog, for winter. Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly View Post

What people are usually allergic to is not pet fur but their dander, which all dogs will have regardless of their "hypoallergenicity."
    I have heard that also, but we are looking for less allergenic, not non-allergenic.
    I am curious though, if there is really such a thing as less allergenic.

My daughter, with bad allergies, does not have any problems with my Labradors (actually one is hers.) I keep them brushed and vacuum their coat twice a week and I think that helps.

air filters usually help along with keeping the dogs clean and vaccuuming regularly.
    We are asleep with compasses in our hands.

Besides varying breed to breed- it can vary dog to dog. My mother is highly sensitive (hives, triggers her asthma, etc) yet can play with and pet my fawn boxer but my brindle breaks her out in hives.

There are certainly breeds that are "better" for people with allergies, but nothing is guaranteed. If you go with a breeder make sure it's in your contract to be able to return the puppy if there is a problem (for a refund!).

And for the record (I used to volunteer with Greyhound Rescue)- there is a HUGE difference between Greyhounds and their smaller cousins, Italian Greyhounds (no pun intended). Iggys (Italian Greyhounds) are the cat of the dog world. They go 1000mph and get into everything and can jump and climb like nobody's business. Regular greyhounds are completely different. (and I don't think I would recommend either as a hiking/woods companion (walks in the woods, yes, hiking, no).

Both my kids are allergic to pets so we got a Cockapoo. He is a LARGE Cockapoo at 31 pounds and turned out to be the perfect trail dog. The breed is well-tempered for the trail. He is smart, easy to train, does not shed, does not chase wildlife, stays close, is NEVER threatened by others, rarely barks, but cannot catch a Frisbee to save his life.

If you consider a Cockapoo make sure that the predicted final weight is over 20 with 30 being ideal. Some Cockapoos come in just over 10.

No, we don't use that over-sized pack for him anyore.

Here, with Crash Bang (NOBO 04)
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly View Post

I have never had to say this on Wb before..

Sorry Tilly, you are wrong, or uninformed.

Here is the science.....

A tiny protein particle, the "Fel d 1" allergen, is found in the cat's skin flakes and saliva. This is deposited on the fur by the cat licking itself. It is shed into the air and can be deposited on the walls and clothing in the home. The cat allergen may remain airborne for months due to its small size. If breathed in by the allergy sufferer, it will lead to an allergic reaction within minutes. These allergic reactions usually include itchy eyes and nose, sneezing, asthma and itchy skin rashes.

In some studies it has been shown that over 80%of asthmatic children whose home contained a cat at the time of their birth and during the first year of their life, will develop a cat allergy. While less than 40% of asthmatic children whose homes contained either no cat or a cat after the first year of life will develop a cat allergy. The cat allergen is much more likely to cause sensitisation than that of the dog. The cat allergen can also cause allergies by being brought into homes where no cats live, for example on a person's clothing. This has been noted to occur quite commonly in the school class-room setting.

Dogs have a number of allergy-provoking protein particles in their saliva and skin scales. Dog allergy is less common than cat allergy, and the longer haired breeds which carry more skin scales see to provoke allergic reactions more frequently A dog's lick may set off a severe allergic response, as can breathing in the allergen particles.

Finally, when avoidance is not possible or can only be partly accomplished, medication may be needed. Oral antihistamines and topical sodium cromoglycate or corticosteroids can be used when nose and eye symptoms occur, while bronchodilators and inhaled sodium cromoglycate or corticosteroids can be used to control asthmatic symptoms. Hyposensitisation injections (immunotherapy) are of limited benefit for patients who wish to live or work with pets to which they are highly allergic.

Here is where it was discussed before.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38240

Furthermore, how can you post that when the news has been covering the Obama's choice of dog for the White House? Yes I know "no politics."
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Chin Music, that is the coolest picture of a Cockapoo and a great write up!

I bet he's popular with the ladies~ you left out his name.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

My wife says that Labra-Doodles are practically non-allergenic. She's allergic to mornings, air and most water, so she has a vested interest.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++