WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

if i can add to that , we've had record snow all around new england
    melt out will be well into june

I did the Fundy Footpath May 1,2,3,4 one year. It was wet, with snow in th woods, and it rained the first 3 days, but a very pleasant hike, my favourite hike ever without my daughter.

I haven't done the 100 mile wilderness, but I would expect that doing it June 1,2,3,4 would be comparable. As long as you are prepared, it should be very pleasant. Not like March. Even though there might still be lots of snow, and lots of rain, and lots of water on the trail, by June the days are long, really long, and some days are very sunny, pluse everything is at that stage where things are really coming to life. March is miserable, perhaps impossible, but June should be very doable if you like the woods in Spring.

I would try to go before bugs. Not sure when they start. I would also find out exactly how much snow there still is, and how much water. That you should be able to find out a week in advance. As for the weather, I would find out what the worst is that time of year, regardless of weather forecasts, and prepare for that.

For 100 miles I should have said June 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    pretty obvious you've never walked the section between jo mary rd. and KIW rd. in june
    i had lots of beers in that section WOOT!!
    keep that coors light trail magic coming baby !!
    oh yeah and the morning i got really buzzed on natty ice at 10 am ..
    10 am is a great hour to craft a buzz and hike !!

Well I see now it might be hard to go before black flie season.
    I wouldn't let that stop you though, if you like the Northern Woods in Spring.
    http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/bfindex.html

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

If you want to be completely miserable and not enjoy any moment of your hike because you would prefer to spend all your time thinking about the black flies attacking you, then yes, hike it in early June.

Otherwise, wait until early September.

because of work and school...we really have no other choice but to hike in June so we'll be doing the hike at the very end of the month

Images

[QUOTE=JAK;795243]I did the Fundy Footpath May 1,2,3,4 one year. It was wet, with snow in th woods, and it rained the first 3 days, but a very pleasant hike, my favourite hike ever without my daughter.

Fundy National Park is really beautiful. What a place. Salt air and Spruce. We had really nice lodging in Alma. Been there twice.

Images

npoles91

Big black flies? yeah right

What these folks aren't telling you are the big mosquitoes in June in the 100 mile wilderness. They can breed a partridge flat footed. I seen it myself. So watch out for them and don't worry about big black flies. If you get hit by one of those skeeters you'll know it

Images

What Wally is trying to say is that you will not only be attacked by black flies, but also by abnormally large mosquitoes. Good times.

eh, i'm willing to deal with it. it's the only option i have and i've been waiting to do this hike for a very long time

Images

Thumbs up Welcome to Maine

Quote Originally Posted by npoles91 View Post
    eh, i'm willing to deal with it. it's the only option i have and i've been waiting to do this hike for a very long time

Actually, have a great time and enjoy your hike.
    I am up in that country quite often if you need any info. I used to work there.

Images

I see mpoles91 your in Mass., well then, just trot on down to the salt marsh before you head out, that'll give you a VERY good idea of the bugs up here in June/July.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Images

It really is a lovely section of trail.

Just tent every night.

Like someone else said If there is alot of Rain Little Wilson could be scary, I went thru at the end of Sept and the water was flowing pretty good and we hadn't had any rain in a while. It was deep enough that things got wet in the cold water that I don't like to get cold and wet!

Have a great trip. Try to spend a night at Antlers campsite nest to MaryJo lake. Beautiful campsite right on the lake. I hit it at a full moon and I think I was awake most of the night just looking at the reflection on the water and listing to the loons. Go all the way out to the tip of the point for the best spots.

I like Life,Life likes Me,Life and I very fully Agree.. Saint Alfonzo's Avatar
    Images

Hello there, Nopoles91,
    They never get old, They always stay new, Those three little words, PLEASE and THANK YOU.

I like Life,Life likes Me,Life and I very fully Agree.. Saint Alfonzo's Avatar
    Images

It is a lovely hike, and yes the bugs can be bad. Mosquitos,blackflies,mooseflies,horseflies,deerfli es,no-see-ums, and who knows what else. But, this is your hike,and you have wanted to do it for a lone time.There are plenty of folks here who can help you plan your hike. Use this resource, study the maps, and get ready for your hike..
    They never get old, They always stay new, Those three little words, PLEASE and THANK YOU.

I've heard that either blackflies or skeeters, once they are in your tent, spend most time trying to get back out. Not sure which. Both will eat you alive outside, but only one is a problem once your in. I don't mind occassional bites, and get by without deet most of the time, but carry it just in case it gets really bad. Most trips I don't use it. We are just starting to get some cases of West Nile. That might change things some.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I've heard that either blackflies or skeeters, once they are in your tent, spend most time trying to get back out. Not sure which. Both will eat you alive outside, but only one is a problem once your in. I don't mind occassional bites, and get by without deet most of the time, but carry it just in case it gets really bad. Most trips I don't use it. We are just starting to get some cases of West Nile. That might change things some.
    It's blackflies that try to get back out. Like houseflies at a window. Blackflies roost in the evening, mosquitoes don't.

sorry guys, I hate to keep digging up this old thread. But willi have a problem using a bear bag along this section or would a canister be a better choice?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++