WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

I left my car at Abol Bridge Campground last summer. Kathy Preble (Boarstone) shuttled me and did a re-supply drop. I recommend you contact her.

Default Maine does NOT suck

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Maine always sucks. No one should come here ever. Waste of gas money.
    mudhead.... maybe you were in Maine the wrong time of year, like with lots of bugs, rain and mud.

But I can tell you and everyone else that Maine doesn't suck. This state is far and away the one with the finest scenery of the entire AT. Even NH can't touch it!! Folks.. come to ME and the Mahoosics, Bigelows, or 100 mile wilderness in the fall..early to Mid September. It is a hikers dream come true. Nice weather, the bugs are gone, and the secenery is gorgeous! Big unspoiled lakes, woods as far as the eye can see and eye popping alpine scenery.

David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    mudhead.... maybe you were in Maine the wrong time of year, like with lots of bugs, rain and mud.

But I can tell you and everyone else that Maine doesn't suck. This state is far and away the one with the finest scenery of the entire AT. Even NH can't touch it!! Folks.. come to ME and the Mahoosics, Bigelows, or 100 mile wilderness in the fall..early to Mid September. It is a hikers dream come true. Nice weather, the bugs are gone, and the secenery is gorgeous! Big unspoiled lakes, woods as far as the eye can see and eye popping alpine scenery.

David
    dude. mudhead lives in maine. he was joking

David
    Not a hikers dream, the blackflies are HUGE, the weather suks(rains all 3 seasons, then snow and bitter cold), scenery is obscured by pollution.
    Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the internet
    I think PA is where the best hiking is.
    WALK ON

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wow all this is getting me amazingly psyched for a SOBO hike starting in early June. ugh... C'mon, SOBOers what did you do to get through Maine in June? There has to be something positive.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

from the AT map i have, it looks as if the Abol Pines Campsite is located outside of Baxter State Park. Is this true? Would i need reservations to stay here or can i just walk in whenever and pay?

Journal Entries

David
    Very, very true. But also a very fragile wildness. The economic turndown have given us a brief respite. But all those miles and miles of wildness you see from the trail, has mostly been sold to developers. That's why we formed the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust -- it's an attempt to preserve a few bits and pieces of what you and others rightly perceive as country that is totally unequaled in the East.

Weary www.matlt.org

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by npoles91 View Post
    from the AT map i have, it looks as if the Abol Pines Campsite is located outside of Baxter State Park. Is this true? Would i need reservations to stay here or can i just walk in whenever and pay?
    You can just walk into the the Abol Pines . There is no reservation system. But the first arrivals get the best sites. The problem is getting reservations in Baxter Park. But even that is rarely a problem in spring bug season, nor weekdays in the fall.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Not a hikers dream, the blackflies are HUGE, the weather suks(rains all 3 seasons, then snow and bitter cold), scenery is obscured by pollution.
    Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the internet
    I think PA is where the best hiking is.
    Yes. Don't forget mud. Minges. Stuff that costs 3x more than in NH.

Self service pay-post. If it looks full, keep walking downstream 100'. The generator that keeps the beer cold across the road is loud close to the road.

Therefore, this campsite suks, too.

Default ok i fell for it

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    dude. mudhead lives in maine. he was joking
    Ok then. My appologies. Didn't realize mudhead lives in Maine.

mainers are like vermonters, you're welcome for a short visit but leave. real soon

Images

No ap needed! I do think every one should visit Concord, NH instead of ME.

Much nicer. Cheaper. Better roads. Fewer bugs. Much, much nicer.

Images

Default maine in June

Me, my brother, and a couple of our cousins are planning to hike from Monson to Katahdin this june and i was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and answer some questions about this trip.

1. As of now, we're planning on parking at Abol Bridge and getting a shuttle to monson. Do you think that we'd have a problem leaving our car there for a little over a week?

2. If we park at Abol that would become our resupply point...if we plan on getting to Abol in a week, do you think we'd need to resupply before that?

3. Before going up Katahdin, we'd like to stay at "The Birches." I know this is first-come-first-serve on a day-to-day basis so how much would we have to worry about the site filling up before we get there?

We're also looking for shuttle service suggestions if you know or have any experience with anyone specific.

Finally, please leave any tips, tricks, etc, etc. if you can. It'd be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Tip 1. Watch the weather...rain means high water crossings in the Wilderness and there are a few that will be a struggle w/rain.
    Tip 2. Arrange a resupply drop 1/2 way thru if your NOT going to resupply at Whitehouse Landing.
    Tip 3. Wear bug nets, light weight gloves on hands to help ward off the bugs.
    Tip 4. Bring anti-histamine Rx/decongestants
    Tip 5. Take your time weather/food permitting.
    Tip 6. Pack clothes for the wettest/coolest times, enjoy the dry times...
    Tip 7. Practice at home putting up tent in the worst of weather.
    Tip 8. Check back here on WB under Maine conditions...I keep updates on current trail/area conditions thru hiking season for "100 mile wilderness" section.
    Tip 9. See tip 5. Good luck and happy hiking!
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

Lightweight hikers can catch those big black flies. Tie them off to your pack and it will float up the trail.

Images

watch out for blackflys. bring good rain gear. i say good rain gear becuase they never bit though my rain gear. Also get a head net.

Whenever I begin to think about what a rough day I've had I can always check out knicks in 2010 in the ninja suit. Then, I don't feel so bad anymore. Bzzz Bzzzz LOL!

The Birches are nice but you may not want to rule out Katahdin Stream Campground. It's only a few hundred yards away but as it suggests the lean-tos there overlook the water running off the mountain and it's a very short walk to the white blazes.
    As for mosquitos, yes, they are there and I've never had the problem with them and with a little DEET they are a non-issue even in June - use the 98%, it works. Bug nets are absolutely unnecessary and quite uncomfortable - you only see about 1 in every 30 or so hikers using them. . .
    As for shuttle - Shaws in Monson is absolutely reliable and they are the BEST of folks!!
    Also - you can get a limited re-supply (and a great dinner and breakfast) if you're running short at White House Landing just past Potawadjo lean-to on Pemadumcook Lake (Look for the sign that says Mahar Landing and take the blue blaze to the right.)
    Have a great trip!!!

Just a thought I had, Shaw's will shuttle you to Abol Bridge and you park your car in their yard for $1 a day. I think the shuttle was $100 for a car full. This way you get to your car with clean clothes, food, whatever when you are done.

When I did the 100 mile the access to WHL was on a logging road and there were signs. I don't have my maps handy. I know the signs were also "Illegal" and ATC was taking them down as fast as WHL wasputting them up. The trail seemed really long but it was worth it for the burger and cold beer!

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Unless you want to be completely miserable, I would suggest waiting until later in the summer for that section.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    All is possible. I would, however, start on July 1, if possible, both to avoid high water levels, and most important, to avoid the worse of the black flies. Regardless, carry a lot of DEET, and use it.

Weary
    I with Weary , High Water from the melt out is a very high possiblity and
    can be very dangerous ( ie Little Wilson )

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++