WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Cheese on the trail ?

Class of 2009 Thru Hiker
    I am preparing my foods for the hike using LIp Smakin Backpackin, the book mentions using cream cheese, cheese without refrigeration. Any old timers out there that have experience with these products. I always thought cheese had to be refrigerated until use.

Thanks for your thoughts

Senrab 09

I ate Cracker Barrel cheese sticks all summer long without refrigeration for up to five days. Greasy, yummy!
    http://morethananelectrician.files.w...7/10/aw4as.jpg

Hard cheese lasts me about a week.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

Images

Cheese has been made for thousands of years, long before refrigeration or even ice was used to cool foods. In fact, turning milk into cheese IS preserving it. Hard cheeses with high salt contents like cheddars and parmesan especially last a long time. Cheese wheels are waxed to help keep in moisture and reduce mold growth. It is typical for cheeses to mold slightly on the outside though, and even desired in some varieties(blue cheese for example). On a cheese wheel you just cut away the mold and you're good to go.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I almost always take seperate packs of cheese and have never had a problem with them. I usaully hike arouund a week. I am not sure the name of them but they also come with a sausage.

Images

cream cheese was a staple of my diet, especially early...come hot summer time, it's not gonna last as long, but then i was making sandwiches more and slices of cheese became the norm...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Cheese last nearly forever. I've mailed block cheese 3 weeks in advance and ate it another week into the trail. Cream cheese should easily last week, unless it's extremely hot.

Last year I used some of those packets of cheese spread they use in MRE's. They weren't too bad, especially on some of the MRE vegetable crackers. But this year I'm going to try cheese in a different form. Lots of good ideas in this thread!

u gotta tell me about having cream cheese on the trail
    Serial 07

Images

On the trail, cheese is usually eaten long before it has time to go bad, even in the summer.

Panzer

i've had cream cheese last a week no problem. block cheese is always long gone before it would ever go bad, it just gets oily so i double bag it. i usually take a block of swiss and/or parmesean. imagine any hard cheese would be just fine.

I wrap cheddar in wax paper and then put it in a ziplock. Sometimes it grows a little mold, but all you have to do is cut off the mold and the rest is good
    Man must put an end to war, or War will put an end to man.
    John F. Kennedy

EZ cheese is delicious and packs a pretty good weight to calorie ratio. Also, it doesn't need to be refrigerated at all.

Block of mild cheddar and a block of sharp cheddar. Never had it last more than a week....but that's cause it's eaten first usually...disappointing day when the cheese runs out.

Might consider the EZ cheese....not a big fan...the calorie ratio is attractive and after 4 or 5 days the body will tell you anything is good to get calories.... won't hurt over a few ounces to carry it and try next trip.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Yes, I don't think cheese would last me as long as it would take to spoil. That being said, in terms of lasting without getting greasy or even looking bad, a wheel of smoked gouda is my top choice.

Images

Yes I enjoy cutting the cheese while hiking also
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Images

Cheese fixes anything culinary, and lasts forever. Or at least until it's gone.

You can get shelf stable versions of many cheeses, but yes, real cheese lasts a long time! It was designed to be very stable. America is obsessed with chilling everything it can.

As for cream cheese, carry it in the 1 ounce packets or whatever size you can get. Costco sells big boxes of them in single serving packets. You can freeze them before hand as well for more time. I use cream cheese instead of sour cream in recipes. Works great! (Though Rondele at times makes a shelf stable version, but it isn't as good as regular)
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

I wrap my block cheeses (cheddar, colby, gouda) in cheesecloth saturated with vinegar, No mold.
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

Garlic
    Images

As a non-meat eater and a stoveless hiker, I rely on cheese heavily. I'll carry up to two pounds for up to a week and have never had a problem with spoilage on the trail.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++