WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Boots vs. Trail Runners

I am planning to hike the AT this year with trail runners. However, I am wondering if there are sections of trail or times of the year where boots might be beneficial. In particular, I am wondering about muddy, boggy sections where boots might be preferable to trail runners.

I am planning a SOBO hike beginning on June 15. I expect my pack to be under 30 pounds at all times. I have well broken in Asolo Powermatic 200 boots that I like very much. Is there a section of trail where it is worth the weight penalty to wear boots rather than trail runners?

Boots or runners, get them muddy, find a stream, rinse them off. I'm hiking in my runners on ice and snow this weekend. I have crampons with straps that will work with them. I'm using Sealskinz to keep my feet relatively warm and dry. It will get into the teens, the coldest for me so far using lightweight footwear in the snow, we'll see how I do.

Maybe worth the extra ankle protection (from scrapes, not twisting) in southern Maine and through the Whites.
    Some folks say you need more stiffness in the sole doing the rocks of Pa. I haven't been there yet, but I climbed Katahdin in sandals and did the Hundred Mile Wilderness using both low top breathable hikers (not runners) and sandals.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Low cut trail runners are my favorite for all kinds of weather except snow.

I think this is more of an individual preference thing. I prefer boots, but others do not. But the others that do not frequently do not weigh in over 310 with their pack on as I do.

Garlic
    Images

If you get accustomed to trail runners, you'll probably never want to see your boots again. I don't even know where mine are.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I know where mine are, in the bottom of my gear trunk with all the stuff I bought and don't use any more. But I have at least three pair of NB800+ series in my closet...

Images

Maybe its growing up in pennsylvania and knowing only rock hoping for a good part of it ... I also prefer boots ... a nice light pair like my merrell cham evo's ... I've been an ankle or two and without the heel support i'm pretty sure i wouldn't of been walking out the other end of the trail ... I can totally see trail runner's on a decent sections of trail were its a path, not a boulder hop ...

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The only time I use boots now is when I do trailwork. Mainly because they are required by most trail orgs.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

i wore boots in 98,99 then i switched to chaco sandels. will never go back to boots.

Images

Default I got some boots

I finally got some Keen Taghee II. They are aww - ight. Hardrocks are my normal wear. I would have to go with the boots over the runners myself. Rainy days and wet feet for days on end are okay for a 5 days or less, but not for weeks on end -- that would bring me down.

Captain Ozzie

I hiked sobo with 2 pair of sticky cat Garmonts. Got slack from NOBOs cause I never took my shoes off at stream crossing and heard things like "your shoes won't dry out till monson!" I love how people try and tell you how your gear works...anyways these trail runners dried out fast (within 3 hours) We had near 5 weeks of solid rain from ME-NH so there was no use trying to keep your feet dry anyways. The good thing about trail runners is that once waters inside..unless they are gortex the water will escape..at the end of the day my friend with heavy hiking boots would turn his boot over and pour out water.

I also enjoyed the flexability in PA with all the rocks..sure at times my ankle would twist but thats why you have treking poles to catch yourself. Also theres generally no break in time as with boots, same buddy with boots had bruised heels for 2 weeks before they fit right. Course the same pair won't hold up the whole trail so your gonna have to break in a pair of boots at least once...my garmonts I slipped on and did 20+ hiking into the night cause they felt so great.

Recomendations: Garmont or Salamon ...don't buy gortex and I hate merrells with a passion

Images

I know where my old boots are, and I regret paying $300 for them. Ugh. Nice boots, but I think they weigh about 6 pounds. (Anybody want a pair of Scarpa Manta, size 45, excellent condition? Make me an offer....)

Since I switch to trail runners nine years ago, I have yet to find a situation where I wished I had worn boots instead. Rain, snow, rocks, whatever. I am over 200 lbs, and my pack is pretty average in weight.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The only time I kinda wished I had boots was the scree areas of the Presidentials. The rocks were so that the trail runners got chewed pretty bad.

But I would use runners in mud in a heart beat. They don't get stuck so bad and coated with mud that you feel like you are carrying another five lbs on your feet. And if wet they dry quick.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

I am a big fan of waterproof Solomon Sneekers, they are awesome, everytime I cross a deep stream I just plow through! the water just pours out and the tech socks are dry in about ten - twenty minutes. 2nd runner up is Keen Sandals.

Pennsylvania Rocks require boots.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Well, I guess the boots will stay in the obsolete gear locker.

Thanks for all the replies.

"I hate merrells with a passion"

Why?

Images

i've been hiking on PA rocks all my life - the majority of the time in nikes or whatever shoes i was wearing as a kid (adidas superstars or chuck taylors ). boots are not necessary for PA. i don't understand why people keep saying that
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

Nope, Not necessary at all ... but if you've ever rolled an ankle or twisted a leg, you'd know on these rocks .... boots have their use .... To each their own and their own luck on what works for um... People will always have differences in what they enjoy over others ... Then when someone comes along and asks, it can sometimes get ugly lmao ... Point is, everyone needs to figure out whats right for them ... i've taking plenty of advice from whiteblaze ... and often, it makes me see things differently but it still remains some advice ... was from there own perspective's, and what doesn't work for them ... has for me.

I wouldn't hike in a pair of vans ... or flipflops ... but anything else is fine, i just prefer ankle support.

P.S i do sometimes hike in my rugged crocs.

I'm a runner first and a hiker second. After trying boots for three years, I started just hiking in whatever pair of running shoes I was wearing at the time for my yearly 150-250 mile section hike. The ASICS Nimbus got me through Northern VA, NJ/NY, VT, and last summer PA without a twisted ankle and only a couple of falls. With about 1000 miles left in various places, I plan to stay with running shoes or trail runners for the rest of my hike.

I think I swiitched to trail runners becasue I got tired of breaking in boots.

Boots are great if you want to move up to a ton of weight per mile. 1 pound multiplyed by 5280 steps (approx.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++