WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Standing Bear, as Lone Wolf well knows, is far removed from town.

So no, you can't walk to a beer store or a restaurant from there, nor do they offer private rooms.

Oddly enough, tho, every year several thousand folks find a way to have a really good time there anyway.

Imagine that.
    lose the attitude skippy. all hikers needs are different. if i'm taking a day or two off i don't want to be around or sleeping with other hikers. i don't want to wait on a shuttle to get stuff. iand i like to drink beer. i ain't said nothin' bad about standing bear. it's just not for me personnally. and there's lots of hikers that agree with me.

imagine that.

Cool.

Then they can stay elsewhere, and the good folks at Standing Bear will, in all likelihood, not miss them.

Everyone's happy.

Right, Skippy?

Dont you just want to eat 'em both up?

Rogers in Damascus as it is the only one I have stayed at. But I had some friends with me and we a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    do they have private rooms? a store, beer and restaurants within walking distance?
    theres a chicken coop out back you can have all to yourself LW. Curtis runs shuttles to the stores in Hartford each afternoon(where you can buy beer. On weekends hikers can go out to eat at the Front Porch. Great Mexican/Bluegrass joint and anywhere is walking distance if you have the time LW

of Hatman and Happy Feet GAME '01 Happy Feet's Avatar
    Images

My vote has to go to Kincora. We were in Bob and Pat's first class and when we strolled in 4 years later on our next thru he remembered us and our year. He pointed to our picture on his wall. What makes Bob and Kincora tops in my book is that he truly cares about, and is interested in the people who come to Kincora. He's not all about making a profit on hikers (not saying there is anything wrong with that, by the way), but Bob's goal is to serve hikers. Make us more comfortable. Encourage us to be our best. He knows we smell and are dirty and tired and sometimes discouraged. We have nothing to offer him except grunge, and maybe a conversation and a few bucks (if ya have it). He's a people person. If you knew who Bob is, he doesn't have to hang around with the likes of us hikers. He's from a different standing in life than most who come through his doors, but because of who he is, he sees us all as just people. He admires most of us for having what it takes mentally and physically to get out and hike long distance. He's the first one who I ever heard refer to thru hikers as "athletes". Kincora hostel is a wonderful place to stay, but Bob is the one who makes it that way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Early April? When did you start?

Rockhound, since you're asking the question, we don't care about your bias. Which do you like best?
    March 1. I believe I landed at the gap near Kinorra on April 4th.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Hard to say, as they are so different! Hiker Hostel is upscale feeling, clean, and friendly for a start. Blueberry Patch is warm, loving, and serving. Standing Bear is more "farmer friendly"... Kincora is Bob and I'd stay just for that. Miss Janet's was "earthy" and hippy like. so on and so on up to Shaw's in Monson and the AT Inn in Millinocket. Oh, and don't miss The Bear's Den in VA, previous home to Queen Diva, now home to Hopeful, Redwing, and Hikelet...

Funny how perceptions of the same place can be so different to different people.

Miss Janet a "hippy?"

Wow.

I'm from Boston and used to live in Cambridge, as well as Amherst and Northampton Massachusetts, Ann Arbor Michigan, and Santa Cruz, California.

And I've spent a whole lotta time in Vermont.

Believe me, I know all about hipppies.

Janet ain't a hippie.

For one thing, she washes regularly.

I have no favorites, I like each one for a specific reason.

Bobs cuz its cool and a great rest before the last leg to D-town. and if you havent been there for one of his Celtic meals, youve missed out.

Bremaer is cool, but pricey.

Curtis place cuz its a great MTN feel (Since Mamas is gone) and he has frozen pizzas and you can get a shower right out of the smokies.

Miss Janet cuz Breakfast, Q&A and Johnson City Lights...or whatever the redneck bar we go to is.

I stay in Jeffs place if I stay anywhere in Damascus, or wanderers.

DWG is nice on Thursdays

The Vernon hostel is awesome

The 12 tribes hostel is cool as it is in Ruthland and cheaper then Long Trail Inn, which I love too cuz of beer and good times.

Hikers Welcome cuz Packrats one of my best friends for years.

Pretty much all of them north of there (Save one in Gorham) because Im usually wet hungry and in need of a shower no matter where I am in North NH or Maine.

adn whichever ones I am leaving out, you guys rock as well...been about 3 years since I hiked on the AT so maybe thinigs have changed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Funny how perceptions of the same place can be so different to different people.

Miss Janet a "hippy?"

Believe me, I know all about hipppies.

Janet ain't a hippie.

For one thing, she washes regularly.
    Hey I didn't say she was a hippy, I said the place was hippy like - like a 70s commune. And I should know, cause I was one! (and I did wash, too)

Images

Tater (a/k/a BackpackerBryan) and I spent a nice evening at the Mountain Harbor's Hostel near Carvers Gap...We drank sparkling wine and watched t.v. as it poured outside We were warm and toasty and happy. That is the only hostel I've ever stayed in except for Dave's Place. I prefer to be in the woods.....normally.

Images

How could I have missed Hiker's Welcome in my list?!? Sorry Phat Chap and Pack Rat! Great place, a little "hippie feeling" goin on there too.

Captain Ozzie

Default fav hostels

Chets place in Lincoln NH hands down! Chet was one of the coolest people I met on trail just laid back and accepting of everyone. Too many other hostel owners bash other hikers or just have too much drama not to mention its their buisness thats probably why... (plus the vape..ha if you went there you know)

I also enjoyed the church hostel in pearisburg...the town sucked and I had to walk all the way there but its a little "HGTV" cabin with a wood stove and it was just peaceful and rustic ..yet perfect.

Others to mention..bunnys hostel which is fairly new I enjoyed cause she knows whats up and she was just there to help in anyway. Of course the mayors house is a must stop, love how they are always talking **** and bull****ing. Standing bear...Curtis was a riot and rockhound how are you posting on whiteblaze? Arn't you playing like 5 poker tables right now?

Images

I Love the Hikers Welcome. A bit rustic, a little hippyish, and a great place to relax.
    I am bias as rockhound is, since I volunteered there for 3 months this summer.
    What I like about any hostel is the attitudes of the people running it. That is why Kincora, Standing Bear, and the Hikers Welcome are so great.
    LW, I like beer and being away from hikers sometimes too, but I will retreat to a hotel when I need that.
    P.S. rockhound your fire pit is still well and still being enjoyed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw88 View Post
    I Love the Hikers Welcome. A bit rustic, a little hippyish, and a great place to relax.
    I am bias as rockhound is, since I volunteered there for 3 months this summer.
    What I like about any hostel is the attitudes of the people running it. That is why Kincora, Standing Bear, and the Hikers Welcome are so great.
    LW, I like beer and being away from hikers sometimes too, but I will retreat to a hotel when I need that.
    P.S. rockhound your fire pit is still well and still being enjoyed!

Good to hear. Do you stll plan on hiking this year?

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Had a great time at the place near Kincora. We took the side trail (old A.T.) down past Coon Den Falls. Forget the name of it, but I remember the pizza we ordered from the pay phone was great.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Braemer Castle cuz nobody goes there. they pile into Kincora instead where they're stuck with no stores, beer fobidden and crammed in like marshmallows in a bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post

Bremaer is cool, but pricey.
    $15 for bunk, $20 for private room ain't "pricey"

Images

$15 for bunk, $20 for private room ain't "pricey"
    No, but compared to $4 anything is expensive.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++