WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

dont make hostel.
    matthewski

make love stel.

stellla!
    matthewski

In the south, in terms of being a nice place to stay, Cloud 9 was the nicest. In terms of the cool places to stay. I wont include Ron Haven just because they arent hostels. But Rons has to be included in the list
    1. Standing Bear (just cuz its always fun to hang with Curtis)
    2. Kincora (cant beat the treehouse)

Up north, hands down nicest place to stay is Green Mountain House in Manchester.
    Chets Place is a fun fun place to stay and convenient
    And Glencliff, one of the coolest places to stay!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    I wont include Ron Haven just because they arent hostels. But Rons has to be included in the list
    You sond confused. . . and confusing. . .

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    You sond confused. . . and confusing. . .
    I meant that Rons places are motels, not hostels but he should definitely be mentioned because its Ron and he is a great guy

Images

I have only stayed at two hostels along the trail and liked them both for their own reasons. My Boy Scouts found them quite interesting as well.

We stayed at Kincora the night before our hike began and Bob shuttled us to Roan High Bluff to hike north. My Boys were a bit set back at first, but quickly warmed when they realized they could be setting up in the rain and beginning their trip with wet gear. Bob was fantastic. My Appalachian Pages (2008) was incorrect for the section just south of Kincora, so Bob loaned me his guide book. Bob also walked my Senior Patrol Leader (youth leader) through our entire trip pointing out spots for water and good campsites (we do not use shelters). My boys got to see someone who demonstrates Scout Spirit (friendly, courteous, kind, etc….) in his every actions like no other stranger they have ever met. We ended our hike at Kincora as well, the shower was great.

During our trip we also stayed at Mountain Harbor above the barn. We had planned to camp in the pasture, but, with all the rain, we rented the entire hostel for the night and stayed warm and dry. The boys really enjoyed soft beds, clean sheets, clean shower, clean, clean, clean (you get the picture).

I look forward to going back to both again some day.

Alot of my time on trail (10,000 miles) was spent thinking about how i would set up a hostel if i had the opprotunity. The time came and fortunatley i could impliment it. I too didn't like sleeping on wood crammed in with snorers, i like my beer and ciggs,and i didn't want to be more tired when i left.So we have beds not bunks, 1 private room with big bed, 1 private room with big bed and a twin, another bedroom with Queen size and a twin, all with quilts pillows ect. A community room with games tv movies, a big bathroom with all products you could possibly need including medical. I do your laundry,we have an organized town run . Meals are very large and nutritious,we can accomodate vegitarians. 2 large porches (quiet and where people can smoke)A closet full of clothes so we can wash all you have, and a AT library. Some people would rather have caotic, we strive for rest, renewal, and relax. I've always enjoyed every hostel i've been to,some more than others. Now after doing this a year-i really appreciate all the efforts of everyone who helped me up the trail.

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rambunny View Post
    Alot of my time on trail (10,000 miles) was spent thinking about how i would set up a hostel if i had the opprotunity. The time came and fortunatley i could impliment it. ...
    I can vouch for how Rambunny describes her place. Stopped by just to visit and see the place this fall with Fishbone on way to do a section hike further north. I definitely hope to stay there when I section hike through the Atkins area in 2010.

Other hostels I know about and like?
    Mountain Harbour B&B/Hostel - nice hostel in horse barn and GREAT breakfasts fit for a King in the B&B (in the house)
    Kincora - Bob Peoples must be the nicest person on the trail (especially since Miss Janet doesn't currently have a hostel).
    Dutch Haus - they give you NICE bath robes to wear as they wash your clothes AND the food is great to boot!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Stopped at Dutch Haus last October while sectioning and was impressed with what they do for hikers. I will be back.

Favorite hostel? Thats easy...

Edgerton House, Hanover.
    oops, closed due to inappropriate thru hiker behavior.

Zion Episcopal Church, Manchester Center.
    oops, closed due to inappropriate thru hiker behavior.

Rainbow Springs Campground, Franklin.
    oops, sold to land developer and closed.

The Old Church, Monson.
    oops, closed and I don't know why.

Never mind; I'm skipping this question.

Images

My first ever hostel was the Yi at Neils gap, so it has a special place in my heart.

I had a great nero day at Buddy & Jensine's Rainbow Springs. Good Chili & fresh baked bread. I spent half the day sitting on the bank of the "River" with me feet in the water. It was also my first time meeting Pirate, and last time meeting him on the AT, although we have meet several times in Ohio at the renaissance fest.

I vote for Kincora also.

Visited but did not stay (was on my way home & stopped in) at the Blueberry patch. Seems a nice place.

I know this has high potential of getting me "burned" but I liked Uncle Johnnies in Erwin. Took a zero there, and stopped for the night on my way home.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++