WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Your favorite campsite in GSMNP

Hey all, what is your favorite campsite in GSMNP?
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

i have 6 stealth sites that i love. unofficial sites. beautius

Images

Mt. Sterling.

What LW said. There are approx. a bijillion places to camp off the AT in the Smokies. I'd consider going the BMT route as well.

on the tower at Clingman's Dome.

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rcarver View Post
    Mt. Sterling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    What LW said. There are approx. a bijillion places to camp off the AT in the Smokies. I'd consider going the BMT route as well.

I agree. Site 47 & Mt Sterling are among my favorites in the park.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Tri-Corner Knob or Laurel Gap on the BMT. Sterling is getting very heavy use now thanks to the Backpacker article. Just came back from there today. Laurel Gap was crowded and Sterling was too!

Definitely campsite 66.

It's outside of Bryson City, and just a measly mile hike off of Lakeview Drive. The campsite is on a bend in Noland Creek. There's a large sandy shore that you could probably hike on all the way down to Fontana Lake if you wanted to. Sometimes there's a lot of old firepits in the sand (they likely get washed out in Spring). I'm betting it's a somewhat popular party site for people living in Bryson City - since it's such an easy downhill mile from the parking lot. But the view is just breathtaking.

Hardly doable for a thruhiker, but if you're car camping or just passing through, I highly recommend a night there. The sunset is really something.

Images

I have always enjoyed Spence Field and the side trip to Rocky Top.
    Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

Images

Mt Leconte in the winter is one of my favorites, The island on Hazel creek and a few like LW has.

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

1. Lonesome pine lookout on the Noland Divide trail
    2. In any of the old cabins you find there are 3 on Little Cataloochee trail

And yes I went about it the right way and got back country cross country permit from the park that allows you to camp wherever the heck you want.

Now for the ones legal to the masses

Images

Legal ones:

#23 on the Goshen Prong trail, its about 3.5 miles from the AT. The trail (50') even has a gate.
    #19 on the Meig's mountain trail. Better have a narrow tent tho, there is one spot about 10' x 4' that is almost level. Plenty of hangin space there so not a problem for me Used to be a farm / cabin site, some very friendly (& HARMELESS) Bees, descendants of the farmers bees. No water here!
    #20 also on Meig's mt. a former orchard, LOTS of level sites & hanging spots. I have actually never stayed there, just passin thru.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Sheep Pen gap, campsite #13 just off Gregory Bald.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

I like elkmont campground. The wolves get pretty bad in late january. Just hang your food and you should be good to go.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Sheep Pen gap, campsite #13 just off Gregory Bald.
    I like that one, too. Cold, though.

#17 over by Abrams Creek is nice. Lots of flat ground. The sound of the creek.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

# 13 in the "off season"

# 49 , Laurel Gap Shelter, # 29

Stealth sites ? - Semper Fi.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Worldwide View Post
    1. Lonesome pine lookout on the Noland Divide trail
    2. In any of the old cabins you find there are 3 on Little Cataloochee trail

And yes I went about it the right way and got back country cross country permit from the park that allows you to camp wherever the heck you want.

Now for the ones legal to the masses

How, where, does one get the "back country cross country permit from the park that allows you to camp wherever the heck you want."

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    How, where, does one get the "back country cross country permit from the park that allows you to camp wherever the heck you want."
    come to my office. i issue them sparingly

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    come to my office. i issue them sparingly
    LW, has the price gone up this year or are they still $19.95 ?
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

Well, they aren't highly publicised. I think they give out 1 every 2 years from what I was told. More because no one knows about them. If you are more than a party of one forget it won't happen. Need to be a solo hiker, no campfires, and the like. They do a gear check, make sure you understand LNT practices, and make sure you understand map and compass usage.

I think it is the intent of the Back Country Ranger Supervisor George Minnigh to make sure you aren't harvesting Ramps and Ginseng primarily. He is the only one who can grant these permits, and he is a bugger to catch in the office. So you will get his vmail 10/10 times. He is also a real nice man, and understands if you have a shovel and a buncha baskets to carry crap out with you don't have the right intentions.

I basically went to Sugarlands Visitors Center and said I have been trying to get this permit and the only person who can grant it hasn't returned my calls for over 10 days. I said I intend to camp wherever the hell I want I rather do it legally, but I am not against breaking park regulations since you won't call me back, and don't have the manpower to enforce anything in the park anyway. It was amazing he was in his office and available 5 minutes after I got his vmail.

They want to limit the parks usage, but I think why have it if it can't be used.

Just knowing these permits exist is a huge credibilty builder. Not putting up with the GSMNP red tape is the other. It is more of a right to a citizen of the US to use the park this way. I just told him I think it is bullcrap that I had to have been born in 1910 to enjoy all the park has to offer (ie camp where I want) to catch the sunrises and sunsets.

Also I believe not sure that if you are prior military have a DD214 with Honorable Discharge you get a 30 day national park back country permit not positive though. Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++