WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by bikerscars View Post
    btw jan 31st is garage days at the conshy store...get there early or you'll wait in line and might miss the good stuff...like i did waiting to get a good insulated jacket cheap during super clearance...the sizes that were left did not fit me...
    Unless you're willing to get there phenomenally early (like, 4 AM early), it's not worth it. My wife and I went to those one time and were very disappointed.
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

Images

i recommend checkign out yeoldebackpacker as well. scott participates on these forums from time to time, is very knowledgeable, has great pack selection, and is a overall nice guy
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

We visit "wildware backcountry" outside harrisburg pa alot.....bought our osprey packs and seirra tent and alot more from them. Very helpful people and they seem ok on price. Ems in park city mall lancaster treats us well also...everyone seems to pick where they like......but really took advantage of the Rei sale last week in timonium md.... found our sleeping bags we wanted AND saved TONS of cash!!!

Images

i've been to wildware a few times as well. the 2 people i see there all the time are pretty cool
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

I've found that it's easier to get better service on off peak hours at the Conshy REI. When I was there last summer several times on a Saturday it was crowded and the sales people weren't always the best. My method is to narrow down my choices on a particular item in advance online, then go to compare and ask questions on those few items. Also, you'll save yourself a ton of headache on shoes if you go at off peak hours. The shoe salespeople are usually bouncing between several people on weekends, so it's easier to try on different pairs/sizes when they aren't so busy. Oh, and I've found some great prices in the women's clothing department on the clearance rack at the Conshy store.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

A few quick comments:

First, I like the Conshy REI. They've always been helpful and I don't really expect them to know more about the gear than I do because by the time I get to the store for something I've already been researching it for a while and probably have more current knowledge of that particular thing than the floor staff does.

Second, they do a pretty good job of stocking the store, especially for all those small things that you need but are likely to forget until you actually run across them.

Third, it's hard to beat the co-op factor (which applies to all REIs, of course.)

Fourth, I'll also put in a plug for Ye Olde Backpacker, they're good folks (Scott especially) and while I've not bought anything from them I did use their shuttle service when sectioning north out of Swatara Gap. They were first-rate and made a prompt emergency pick-up when I needed it (illness, a common problem for me, alas.) All around a place I'd recommend without reservation.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++