WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I have been using the NB 80X Series (Non GTX) for many years and last year got a pair of NB's with Goretex (Same Last #SL1, but Different model#).
    I like them in the wet and cold, but last fall on a section, in hot dry weather, I got a blister under my toe for the first time with NB's -It was because the GTX was keeping my feet too warm and damp.
    Maybe you could start with GTX and switch to non GTX as it warms up..... or go with the sealskins.....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

my plan is to have some spare plastic bags for wet weather. you just wear a shopping bag over your feet. bag tex.

Images

I did from Springer to Hot Springs in Dunham trail runners and never had a problem the entire distance, foot-wise. I found them to be very light and comfortable the entire 280 miles. And anyone knows that started in late March last year, we were wet all the time.
    Gypsy 04

Gore-Tex is EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's just as sure to get you killed as COTTONNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just kidding .
    It's fine for an overnight or weekend. In cold weather I find it makes my feet colder as moisture builds up inside my boots. They take longer to dry out as well since they're always somewhat damp inside and the inside dampness must be expelled through the ankle opening. There's no flow-through ventilation like you get from a nylon mesh shoe or boot to aid in drying times.
    Again - fine for weekend hikes. Hot in summer, cold in winter, from my experience.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Parkay View Post
    Another solution is to wear mesh shoes with a gore-tex sock liner, to keep your hiking socks dry. This combination has worked well for me in the past when hiking through snow. The downside is that your hiking socks eventually get wet from your feet sweating, so they have to be rotated on occasion.
    I used something similar. Left the Goretex off until I needed it.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

These http://www.sealskinz.com/
    inside of trail runners or sandals, are what I use most often lately. They've been good in warm fall weather in Maine, and cold winter weather in NY (snow and ice, and even got one wet during a stream crossing - foot was as warm as the other in 20 minutes with temps in the low 20s). As soon as you stop take them off, as the moisture quickly cools inactive feet.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Gore-tex low cuts
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Madame and I have both used Vasque Breeze GTX boots for the last two yearts with no complaints. We only section hike in the fall so maybe that has an effect.

it really doesnt matter, your going to get wet

ive been using inov8 flyroc 315's for the past two weeks in the mud and snow here in new mexico and they work great. they are highly breathable and work great. they are also only 22oz.

gore-tex trail runners are a waste because water will come in anyways-- gore-tex boots=too heavy and long dry times. You will be fine with non gore-tex footwear. Just do what you can to dry 'em out at night, or do what I do and just wake up and put them on. They will warm in a few minutes when you get movin. Damp socks will warm up too--- by the end of the third week or so-- you will know what works for you. Good luck..

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zia View Post
    I usually hike in the desert so waterproof shoes are not a concern. The AT will be wet and muddy so is it better to have a shoe that lets water in, but dries quickly or one that doesn't let water in. But I've heard the goretex shoes don't breath or dry very quickly when they get wet. Thanks.
    O bouht a pair of Gore Texk boots in Virginia. I haven't bought another pair.

Weary

Images

i would rather have boots that dont let water in

No matter what shoes you wear, they are going to get soaked in a storm after a long enough time. Its useless to fight it. Just pick shoes that will dry quickly and are comfortable (break them in well). Here's what I've been wearing for about a year, and what I'm wearing on my thru. Best shoes ive ever bought- http://www.rei.com/product/763460
    You can get them for about $60+shipping at finishline.com. They are also very light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++