WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are y'all taking Gore-tex or non-Gore-tex shoes?

I usually hike in the desert so waterproof shoes are not a concern. The AT will be wet and muddy so is it better to have a shoe that lets water in, but dries quickly or one that doesn't let water in. But I've heard the goretex shoes don't breath or dry very quickly when they get wet. Thanks.

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

I never use goretex / membranes in footwear. In my experience your feet still get wet but the shoes take longer to dry. The exception for me is when I snowshoe. See what others have to say though since I stopped using goretex about 5 years ago might have changed it up a bit since my experience.

Images

I'm leaving in Feb with Goretex. Later on I will switch to regular.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You're correct, Gore-tex boots don't breathe and take forever to dry out once they're soaked.

I'm never buying another Gore-tex boot again, at least not for anything more than weekend hiking. I'd rather go with a leather/mesh boot and apply waterproofing. I haven't been won over by the pure mesh philosophy, as I'd at least like new socks to last an hour before they get drenched by walking through a dewy meadow.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Forget Gore-tex foot wear.
    Takes a long time to dry out.
    Once the membrane gets dirty, it doesnt work worth crap anyways.
    It only holds off the water for a little while, then your feet get wet any ways.
    Boots will get nasty and take forever to dry out.
    Traps water in the shoe after they get wet - just adds extra weight to every step.

After hiking for a while, you'll figure out it easier and cheaper to have non-water proof foot wear.

I have always used Goretex trail shoes, however I'm well aware that it is a minority opinion. My feet stay relatively dry until water goes over the top. I've even had the outer shell wear through and the liner still keeps my feet dry. I think it does not work for others due to sweat.

It depends on the duration of your hike. In the winter for less than a week Gore might be great but once the footweare gets saturated it will take 2-3 days of dry weather to dry out versus 2 hours for vented TRunners.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Goretex Boot Website:

Clean the exterior with a cloth or brush and lukewarm water. The manufacturer may recommend leather treatment or preservation. Shake out sand, gravel, and dirt from inside the footwear. Remove and shake out the foot bed if applicable. Dry naturally at moderate temperatures. Avoid direct heat. Convection-style boot driers work well.
    WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT
    We do not recommend the use of waterproofing waxes or greases as they can affect the footwear's breath ability. Apply only treatments, polishes, conditioners, and dressings recommended by the manufacturer.

Interior sweat is an issue, it gets locked in. I have seen boots retain soaking water for months regardless of Gortex.

For Thur hiker's I would recommend these boots for Pennsylvania rocks, moccasins are adequate for the rest of the trail ( I am so kidding....)
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Thumbs down Gore-Tex footwear

Quote Originally Posted by Zia View Post
    I usually hike in the desert so waterproof shoes are not a concern. The AT will be wet and muddy so is it better to have a shoe that lets water in, but dries quickly or one that doesn't let water in. But I've heard the goretex shoes don't breath or dry very quickly when they get wet. Thanks.
    You've heard right. They're just fine for a dayhike where you can dry your sweat soaked socks back at home. I used them for 9 days in Georgia in March of '06. It was unseasonably warm except for the last two days, and my feet were never really dry because of the GT liner. Thankfully, I was using Smartwool socks which wick well and dry reasonably quickly once you get your hardly breathable, totally waterproof, GoreTex boots off (and that's the fabric ones). Leather dries even more slowly. I can't imagine a full leather boot with a Gore-tex liner being breathable at all. The bellows action of the pressure of each step blows more moisture out of your footwear than any membrane can. More and more people are using breathable low nylon hikers or trail runners each year. Boots are fine if you're expecting snow.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I use a pair of soft shell trail runners when I am running and they are great for that. The group i run with often does water crossings ( sometimes swimming). The soft shell shoes dry very quickly and don't hold water. Much more breathable than Gore. If you don't want to wear boots I would go with soft shell. I am going to wear boots; I want the ankle support.

I am leaving NOBO late Feb. No goretex, Merrell Trail Runners. One of the few I could find in Wide sizes. Dicks Sporting Goods special orders them for me and has agreed to ship them to me wherever I am. I pulled the factory insoles out and am trying different soles in my practice hikes. They are great so far. For socks I was up at Mountain Crossings over the holiday. Spent some time with "Alpine". Great guy! They are now really promoting Bridgedale over Smartwool. Said they will hold up longer and cushioning will last longer. So I have tried them with a Bridgedale Liner and after several miles of walking I haven't even got a hot spot. (I blister super easy) Here is the link to the Merrell shoe. http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpa...n=m&pcid=71173
    “If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” Henry David Thoreau

What do yall think about wearing trail runner shoes...along with an athletic ankle strap...like you wear when you sprain your ankle? Just thinking it might be the best of both worlds? Shoes dry fast and still get support?? correct me if this is a bad idea!

gortex schmortex. No such thing as a waterproof shoe. save your money

i went hiking in sandals and wool socks yesterday in 30* weather...my feet still sweat, goretex? not for me.

In temps that aren't too cold, I've been very happy with wool socks and mesh/breathable trail runners. Even very wet conditions. The shoes themselves work really well with the wool socks to wick moisture away. Right now I'm using a Mizuno trail runner.

I've also used goretex trail runners - after a few months/200+ miles the goretex has definitely failed and in conditions where it was not excessively wet, too. I've hiked in worse conditions with a non-goretex trailrunner and felt drier because the water wicked away better. Of course, eventually your feet are wet and stay wet, but it's not an issue in warmer weather and the shoes will dry more quickly. In hot weather, goretex shoes are going to be a lot warmer/sweaty. I now only use the goretex trail runners on winter hikes.

Do not care for Gore-Tex. I use trail runners and they work just fine. On the AT you are going to get wet and it is hard to get your shoes to dry out

Journal Entries

Starting Feb 15th will the non gortex Merrell trail runners work well in this cold weather?

gor-tex is only good for 80lbs per square inch. depending on terrain, and body weight, one's foot pressing on various points of a gor-tex fabric membrane can exceed several 100lbs.

Another solution is to wear mesh shoes with a gore-tex sock liner, to keep your hiking socks dry. This combination has worked well for me in the past when hiking through snow. The downside is that your hiking socks eventually get wet from your feet sweating, so they have to be rotated on occasion.
    My Web Site: Parkaymaps

i'll be taking non gore tex. last trip i took my goretex boots. they worked well on day one, through snow and many a surgin stream crossing. by day three, they were soaked, water was collected in them, and they were freezing at night.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++