WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Images

You know what, matthewski? You are absolutely right. I hereby pledge to support MiniSmith this week in all his double-gaitered glory. He's the man with a plan and a chickie with a van. Get out there and WALK MinnesotaSmith! Walk for all of us that are tethered to desks, or machines, or any of the other anchors of modern life.

Just try to cut down on throwing rocks at dogs, if you can.

Default Reached the Northern Terminus of the Pinhoti yesterday...

@ 1:47 P.M. Tuesday Feb. 25th (?), to be more precise. Starting the AT this weekend. Motor home in Dahlonega. It continues to have fuel pumping issues (yes, we need a mechanic for it ASAP). Cash flow crimped enough from repair costs that some window screen work for Faithwalker (who did that as her own business for 6 years) in greater Dahlonega area (and further north as we get there) would be pretty helpful about now. Is main threat to thruhike. Have considered taking a month off to go work on rigs to make cash (am on leave of absence from my company, NOT quit; am welcome back). Have other money coming in in weeks or months ahead if get past the next few. Have food and most supplies via mail drops already in place to Kincora, and all gear long ago bought, so no worry that way.

Her daughter is with us for a few days. Big family get-together this weekend in Dahlonega. I generally go out for a few days (5 days to finish Pinhoti, with 2 days over 11 miles in there), and meet FW at pre-arranged road crossing. Slacking was way to go with all the road walks on the Pinhoti Route (is mostly roads in GA, not a trail yet), but not practical on the AT, esp. with motorhome lousy on hills. We try not to take it off pavement, so FS road crossings are out.

One last camera worth of pics going up on Pinhoti journal as soon as today. A couple VERY memorable...

My BIL is coming with me to start my thruhike for a few days.

Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega full most nights now with thrus. Are apparently booking much further ahead than in past.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    @ 1:47 P.M. Tuesday Feb. 25th (?), to be more precise. Starting the AT this weekend. Motor home in Dahlonega. It continues to have fuel pumping issues (yes, we need a mechanic for it ASAP). Cash flow crimped enough from repair costs that some window screen work for Faithwalker (who did that as her own business for 6 years) in greater Dahlonega area (and further north as we get there) would be pretty helpful about now. Is main threat to thruhike. Have considered taking a month off to go work on rigs to make cash (am on leave of absence from my company, NOT quit; am welcome back). Have other money coming in in weeks or months ahead if get past the next few. Have food and most supplies via mail drops already in place to Kincora, and all gear long ago bought, so no worry that way.

Her daughter is with us for a few days. Big family get-together this weekend in Dahlonega. I generally go out for a few days (5 days to finish Pinhoti, with 2 days over 11 miles in there), and meet FW at pre-arranged road crossing. Slacking was way to go with all the road walks on the Pinhoti Route (is mostly roads in GA, not a trail yet), but not practical on the AT, esp. with motorhome lousy on hills. We try not to take it off pavement, so FS road crossings are out.

One last camera worth of pics going up on Pinhoti journal as soon as today. A couple VERY memorable...

My BIL is coming with me to start my thruhike for a few days.

Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega full most nights now with thrus. Are apparently booking much further ahead than in past.

So what is going on with the motor home MS? PM me here, I might be of assistance in the greater Dahlonega area.

Can someone...anyone...explain how a motor home is required for a thru hike?

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    Pffffft...... how else are you going to go 2000+ miles? Walk? Are you crazy?

No.

he's just taking a page out of doyle's book... it works fine for him, and i have encountered others doing variations on that theme, no bigee

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    he's just taking a page out of doyle's book... it works fine for him, and i have encountered others doing variations on that theme, no bigee
    Well that's all well and fine, but for a guy who obviously thrives on planning and preparation (more then the actual hiking it seems at times) you think the first thing he would have secured is a reliable and well looked after RV.

Images

Point for Mr Blake.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

It is about as essential as New York.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    What the hell is that supposed to mean?
    I'm sorry, it is about as essential as New York CITY. Just drive around in upstate NY and ask around they'll fill you in.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb

How does Warren Doyle do his supported "expeditions"?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Exactly.

Well, since you have to hike through part of New York to complete a "thru", I take that to mean absolutely essential.

I disagree; a motor home is not essential for a "thru"...
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

today i make a new minnesota smith shirt to wear at the warmer. and the rv is for faithwalker to enjoy following , not for supporting ms. dorks, ms walks like a real thruhiker cause he is one. hes a freakin truhiker yo.
    matthewski

pic is max in san juan four years ago contemplating minnesota smiths contesters and what to do with them.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Worldwide View Post
    I have been bouncing along the AT and GSMNP this fall and winter and have seen two 50+ pound mail drops sent by Minnesota Smith. They are good for a guessing game if nothing else. I am just wondering *** could the contents possibly be? Please advise.

Worldwide
    Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon.

rockhound would have marryied bearpaw witch makes me just that much cooler. he knows what i got. my brudda!
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    rockhound would have marryied bearpaw witch makes me just that much cooler. he knows what i got. my brudda!
    I don't think I'd be marrying anybody, but you definitely have a keeper there Matty. Don't screw it up.

Erroneous information needs to be corrected.
    I have never owned a motor home, and don't anticipate ever owning one.
    Our support vehicles for the circle expeditions have been cargo vans - either regular size or mini-vans depending on the size of the group.
    How I approach and do the trail is quite far removed from the way MS has done it (once), and apparently plans to do it this year.

Originally Posted by RITBlake

How does Warren Doyle do his supported "expeditions"?

[quote=camojack;789758]How does Warren Doyle do his supported "expeditions"?

Exactly.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Thumbs down

I'm sorry, it is about as essential as New York CITY. Just drive around in upstate NY and ask around they'll fill you in.
    You don't know what the **** you're talking about.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++