WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

jrwiesz, great itinerary. Let me warn you are though you are going to see some very short hiking days as some of the distances are short and the terrain easy between proposed campsites. I think it's very possible you will be through hiking before your present intended finish date.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    I referred to no moose. Only meese. But IRNP meese are real. Damn, you wake up in a tent platform for 4 tents that only has 3 tents on it, get out, and see a meese in the 4th one, and you both eye each other and slowly move over to the trees to take a whizz a few yards apart, and realize that meese take the most humongous whizzes in North America, and you never, ever, EVER say "there is no such thing as a meese." EVER. You don't want to anger any guy (human or meese) with something like that. EVER EVER EVER.

TW
    I suppose this meese was eating an english muffin with thimbleberry jam on it.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

First they take a whizz. Then they go to the kitchen to eat thimbleberries. Then they take another whizz. And so on. Meese can only do one thing at a time.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Largest island on the ........

I checked with NPS on mailing a resupply package to Windigo. The ranger station there will hold it for a fee. Hope to meet up with some of you WB's on the trail on the big isle on the big lake. Im swiping the Rock Harbor-Greenstone-Fendtman-Windigo-Minong planned route from this thread. Mid September sounds perfect from my research!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garbanz View Post
    I checked with NPS on mailing a resupply package to Windigo. The ranger station there will hold it for a fee. Hope to meet up with some of you WB's on the trail on the big isle on the big lake. Im swiping the Rock Harbor-Greenstone-Fendtman-Windigo-Minong planned route from this thread. Mid September sounds perfect from my research!
    Here is the NPS "FAQ" on this; scroll down the page and you will see how to mail your maildrops.

http://www.nps.gov/isro/faqs.htm

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garbanz View Post
    Great info about the resupply at Windigo. I'll file that away for my return to the Island. Will make the hike much more pleasant. Carrying 12 days of food is tough!

September is GREAT!!!! But allow an extra day or two at the end in case the ferries are late. I experienced delays on 3 of my 5 trips so far.

Have Fun!!!!!!

Images

Good point:

On 5 trips to IRNP, I've had 3 delays, two with ferry delay out of Copper Harbor and Houghton/Hancock, and one really bad one with the bush plane, during a gale, when it couldn't land at Rock Harbor for 2 days, and then had a massive backlog of passengers to deal with.

Safest passage, I think, is to/from Windigo/Washington Harbor, since it's shorter and a bit less risky bit of water.

There used to be limited resupply in Windigo at the tiny store, and a very adequate resupply at Rock Harbor's much larger store. Fuel (white gas) is available at each end, and if you want it free, you can usually Yogi some from soon-to-depart campers since they have to empty fuel bottles on their way off the island.

TW

Just got back from there last weekend (aug. 17-21, + extra day due to ferry not running on fri). no black flies, few skeeters, lots of hikers. pleasant temps (70/55) but ended the trip with 40 hours of rain.

this was my second trip. first was grand portage, mn to rock harbor, walk to windigo and catch the ferry back. that was a mid-may trip and skeeters were just coming out but did see moose. no wolves tho, they wre probably birthing

this trip was a loop out of Rock harbor. took some newbies, heard wolves but saw neither moose nor wolf. like I said, lots of hikers. I'm guessing early sep will be better for smaller crowds.

when/if I go back it will be to west end (windigo) and loop some of those trails

Images

Meese (and for that reason wolves) are clustered more at the west end of the Island.

TW

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up Isle Royale National Park - 8/22/09-9/11/09

Made it without many difficulties; I will follow with more details and photos when I catch up on other matters of more priority. 20+ days away from the homefront results in chores to take care of upon return.

Isle Royale Rocks!!! Plus free fruit!!!
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jrwiesz View Post
    Made it without many difficulties; I will follow with more details and photos when I catch up on other matters of more priority. 20+ days away from the homefront results in chores to take care of upon return.

Isle Royale Rocks!!! Plus free fruit!!!
    OMG...he discovered the Thimbleberry!!!

TW

Images

Thumbs up Isle Royale follow-up

My 8/20/09-9/12/09 adventure began with a delay, by one day, due to me not being completely packed appropriately, or to my liking; so, I decided to delay one day to be properly prepared/ready. On 8/20/09 at 7p I headed out, for an all night drive to get to Copper Harbor, to catch the ferry at 8am on 8/21/09. As Walking Stick previously noted in this thread, 8/21/09 Lake Superior was in no mood to allow passage to the Isle, even the NPS Ranger III, did not sail that day; I don't believe air service flew that day. I got a room and breakfast at The Pines in Copper Harbor; great breakfast, and a fair price($65.00) on clean room. After a nap, I explored the area, especially the western shore of the Keweenaw Penisula, time well spent. We sailed 8am on 8/22/09, in two to three foot seas, great ride over, and arrived at Rock Harbor Ranger station around 11:10am, for the mandatory orientation and disclosure of ones' itinerary.

This was my "as completed" itinerary:

8/22/09 to 9/11/09 Isle Royale itinerary

8/22 Isle Royale Queen VI to Snug[Rock] Harbor camp-day hike to Scott Point.
    8/23 Hike to Lane Cove camp.
    8/24 Day hike to Lookout Louise/Monument Rock-camp Lane Cove again.
    8/25 Hike to West Chickenbone Lake camp.
    8/26 Hike to McCargo Cove camp.
    8/27 Hike to Todd Harbor camp.
    8/28 Stay at Todd Harbor camp-sideways rain all day[4am-4am].
    Hike to Little Todd Harbor camp[omit, due to extra day at Todd Harbor].
    8/29 Hike to North Lake Desor camp[toughest day].
    8/30 Hike to Washington Creek camp[next toughest day].
    8/31 Stay at Washington Creek camp, resupply via mail drop.
    9/01 Hike to Feldtmann Lake camp.
    9/01 Day hike to Rainbow Cove after making camp at Feldtmann Lake.
    9/02 Hike to Siskiwit Bay camp.
    9/03 Hike to South Lake Desor camp. Skipped Island Mine camp.
    9/04 Hike to Hatchet Lake camp.
    9/05 Hike to West Chickenbone camp.
    9/06 Hike to Lake Richie camp.
    9/07 Hike to Chippewa Harbor camp.
    9/08 Hike to Moskey Basin camp.
    9/09 Hike to Three Mile camp, day hike to Snug Harbor for goodies.
    9/10 Hike to Snug Harbor camp.
    9/11 To Copper Harbor via Isle Royale Queen IV.
    The Lake was like glass as we sailed at 3p towards the mainland.
    It stayed that way the entire crossing.
    One could have been out on the Lake in a canoe!!! Incredible!!!
    9/12 Head for lower penisula after dinner, room, breakfast at The Pines.

21-nights on the Isle
    20-full days
    1-24hr period of side way rain
    19-pleasant sunny days[80-45 degrees F]
    2-nights at Snug Harbor
    2-nights Windigo/Washington Creek
    17-backcountry sights total
    15-backcountry sights with other campers
    2-backcountry sights alone
    0-hiking partners
    -miles hiked? Haven't figured it out. 100+?
    1-blister, took care of it with moleskin, no more difficulties

Note: I did hike 5 miles 9/01/09 with Jim DuFresne, as he joined me from Windigo towards Feldtmann Lake, he had to return to Windigo. His new, and improved edition of "Isle Royale-Foot Trails and Water Routes" will be released "summer 2010", per Jim. I'll be looking forward to it, I may be in it. lol, gotta get my picture On the Cover of the Rolling-Stone.
    Other than this encounter, I hiked alone.

There are probably some things I will have forgotten, but here are some of the things I recall.

4-moose sighted[two occasions of cows with their calves]
    0-bulls sighted[heard one courting cow-didn't see either]
    3-wolves sighted[one encounter with, first two wolves, and then the other one on their trail]
    1-camp fox sighted[he absconded with nothing]
    1-non-camp fox sighted[at the same sighting with the wolves]
    10-snakes sighted
    0-otter sighted
    0-beaver sighted
    1-Canada Goose
    3-snow shoe hares
    18-Black ducks exploding out of a beaver pond sighted
    Numerous toads, butterflies, moths, and the bats at night
    Most waters Mergansers, hooded and common sighted
    Loons, everywhere there is water, sighted and heard all night. lol
    Caught two hammer-handle pike[released]

Ate 100 handfulls of Thimbleberries, Raspberries, Huckleberries[lost count]
    Did I mention "Free Fruit" before?

Took 800+ photos, maybe half turned out decent.
    I'm dissappointed in myself in that respect, but, I got some good shots.
    I will post as time allows.

Met numerous hiker/outdoor enthusiasts, but never felt crowded.

Spent the rain day at Todd Harbor shelter with a now, friend, Carl.
    Great conversation, and learned much from this 69 yo retired Air Force gentleman. He has hiked Isle Royale every year since 1982; but, next year he's headed for the Grand Canyon. He had his kit down to ultra lite, much of it he made; I have to pare more from mine. lol

The NPS, Isle Royale Queen VI, and Forever Resorts staff, all professionals and superb.

Rock Harbor and Windigo[really low] stores were low on food for backcountry type supplies, somewhat low on junk food, pop, milk, bread, eggs, etc.

NPS, and Forever Resorts[hotel, store, etc.] were all scheduled to leave/shut down operations 9/12/09 or 9/13/09. The park is still open, but you are on your own for everything, even potable water.

Completed: Minong Ridge Trail, Feldtmann Ridge Trail, Island Mine Trail, Indian Portage Trail, Rock Harbor Trail, Three Mile to Lane Cove Trails, Tobin Harbor Trail, Lookout Louise/Monument Rock Trails, most of the Greenstone Ridge Trail, some of the portages.

Need to complete: Daisy Farm Trail, East & West Huginnin Cove Trail, Northern section Hatchet Lake Trail, Ishpeming Trail, East Chickenbone Trail, Greenstone Ridge Trail[5.9 miles between junction outside Windigo and Island Mine Trail junction], some of the portages.

Isle Royale Rocks!!!

Next time I'll attempt to get more out my days!!!
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Images

How many camp foxes?

TW

Images

Sorry, missed them first time through your post.

Did you fish any?

TW

Images

How many camp foxes?

TW
    Just one. That was a surprise to me, also. One camp fox at Moskey Basin.
    But, it was the norm for me to be paws up shortly after dark; I may have missed some.
    It is believed that the Snug Harbor camp fox, that had been around for years, died last winter.
    Carl Sagan

Images

Sorry, missed them first time through your post.

Did you fish any?

TW
    Two small pike from Feldtmann Lake, released. Fished all the inland lakes I visited, I haven't purchased a Mich fish license.

Forgot to post several Ravens and Crows, but, that is sort of like posting Canada and Blue Jay numbers.
    Carl Sagan

Images

Great report jrwiesz. I really can't wait to go now. Was 20 days too long, too short, just right? Would you go earlyier or later? Is this going to be a regular trip for you?

Images

Oh and are there good trees for haning a hammock??

Images

Default Isle Royale

Sheepdog
    20 days was just about right; maybe a few more, to allow one to spend more days at certain areas to explore/fish/play more.

If, I had more days, I would go earlier. But, I would plan the finish, to coincide with the NPS and Forever Resorts last days prior to shutdown, as it happened this trip. Mid to late August thru and beyond Labor day were perfect. Did I mention Free Fruit? The berries were at or just passing peak.

I would believe that they shut down that week-end after Labor day each year, and plan that way.

I hope to make it again next year to complete those few miles needed to complete the entire Isles' trails. But, as soon as I retire[1-5 years], I hope/plan to thru the AT. But, Isle Royale is the perfect spot for those 20 day shakedown hikes in preparation for the AT.

As far as hanging is concerned, sites vary. Some were, where one might find suitable trees to hang, but many sites are in aspen/paper birch areas down near lake sides. Not known to be the strongest, most reliable trees to hang in. I took the "MSR Missing Link" set-up this time[used my treking poles and sometimes branches/trees]. Next time, I think, I will tarp[lighten the kit] with bug net. All of the perimeter sites except Lane Cove, Little Todd Harbor, and Huginnin Cove have shelters. First come, first served, and I used those when available[no critters in the ones I visited]. Two of these photos reflect two sites.

Keep in touch we'll do the Isle[at least some portions of it] next year.
    Carl Sagan

Images

Anyone considering IRNP should know a few things about camping:

1) Camping is almost always reserved for specific campsites and 'stealth' camping is essentially forbidden. The only possible exceptions are if you get a permit for bushwhacking the island, and Rangers are very leery of that, so it's extremely difficult. There ARE backcountry enforcement rangers (including small women with big guns) so if you're caught camping away from a campsite, you'll likely get a ticket. That ticket involves a Federal Court appearance. It's not a smart thing to do.

2) Campsites in the campgrounds are limited, must be reserved, and require permits. You must use the tent platforms, which are not hammock-friendly. I am almost certain that rangers would not allow you to use a hammock. Sorry, but it's true.

3) Shelters are generally the same as good ones on the AT, with screen fronts and doors. Downside is that usage tends to be "I got here for me, the rest of you can't use it" in nature, rather than the "always room for one more." That might be different in stormy weather, but bad bugs isn't going to count. Be warned.

4) There are generally NO places to store food, and while there are no bears and few other varmints, the notorious "camp fox" (totally cute, and a thief with no morals whatsoever that would make a raccoon blush in shame) will get your food, so you need to fly it. They are known to open the screens in shelters.

TW

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++