WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How many miles on your pack?

I have got over 500 miles on my 2002 mountainsmith specter and, despite all the cheering on another thread, I don't feel a need to go out replace it with an osprey, or anything else, anytime soon. How many miles have you got on your pack?

Images

1500+ miles on a Dana Design Bomb Pack

~1000 miles on my Mountainsmith Phantom

At least 10,000 miles on my North Face Bershrund(spelling?). Bought it about 1980...it has been a great companion. PCT,Yellowstone,Tetons,Rocky Mountain National park,Estes Park,ADKs,AT,etc. Nothing fancy but has never let me down. I have patched it tons of times,but it still works fine.

not many at all... I have about 200 miles on my bag I guess? (Jansport Big Bear 5000). Honestly, I dont find it that comfortable and I wanted to go with something a bit lighter and smaller. I got a ULA Circuit in the mail on its way right now!! CANT WAIT!
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

My current pack only has about 500 or600 on it (ULA P2). It's predecessor, a Kelty Tioga, bought in 1978 would have well over 7000, 8000, or 10000, but that is strictly a guess. I've never really figured out how many total miles I've hiked. Might be fun to do some time, but I'm sure it still wouldn't be accurate. Longest single trip was 3300 miles.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudcap View Post
    At least 10,000 miles on my North Face Bershrund(spelling?). Bought it about 1980...it has been a great companion. PCT,Yellowstone,Tetons,Rocky Mountain National park,Estes Park,ADKs,AT,etc. Nothing fancy but has never let me down. I have patched it tons of times,but it still works fine.
    I've got the same pack. A bit "old-school", but tough and practical. Ah, if that pack could talk, the places it's been!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    I have got over 500 miles on my 2002 mountainsmith specter and, despite all the cheering on another thread, I don't feel a need to go out replace it with an osprey, or anything else, anytime soon. How many miles have you got on your pack?
    I've got 43.7 miles on mine.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

I have a North face badlands 75 pack, it has close to a 1000 miles on it, still in pretty good condition, although im looking at the ULA packs just cant decide wich one i want and if it will hold up while doing trail work, it's rough on my pack and dont know if i will kill it quike or not, anybody know how durable those packs are?
    ive heard nothing but good things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by BackTrack1 View Post
    I have a North face badlands 75 pack, it has close to a 1000 miles on it, still in pretty good condition, although im looking at the ULA packs just cant decide wich one i want and if it will hold up while doing trail work, it's rough on my pack and dont know if i will kill it quike or not, anybody know how durable those packs are?
    ive heard nothing but good things about them.
    I bought a ULA pack at the end of '03 after hiking around someone who was VERY rough on that pack. I saw how it held up and I liked the weight of it.

AND, I've really got more than 43.7 miles on it.
    Stumpknocker

Images

My main pack right now is a Granite Gear Vapor Trail with about 2800 miles on it. Pack still works great but is looking pretty worn. Not sure what to get next, I am considering ULA though. I love everything about the Vapor Trail, but would not mind saving a little weight. Mine weighs 2lb 1oz after removing all excess material (size M).

Garlic
    Images

I thru hiked the AT last summer with my new Gossamer Gear G-5 (at 9 oz, advertised to last 1000 miles or 50 days) with only one small rip. Then I hiked less than 100 miles on the AZT the other week and tore the hell out of it 'shwacking' through cactus and barbed wire, so now it's garbage. Oh well, I got about 1200 miles more than expected out of it, and for $85, I'm really happy with it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by OldStormcrow View Post
    I've got the same pack. A bit "old-school", but tough and practical. Ah, if that pack could talk, the places it's been!
    Very cool,I love that old pack. It is pretty beat up ,but still works fine. I am glad my pack can't talk,I would probably be in a world of trouble. I wish I kept a journal in the old days,that pack has lived a good life.

Quote Originally Posted by mudcap View Post
    I am glad my pack can't talk,I would probably be in a world of trouble.
    Ha!!! I like that sentence.
    Stumpknocker

i have an old dana that has over 5,000 and my deuter summer pack's got about 2 or 300. i had an old gregory that had so many i don't know but it finally fell into so many pieces i couldn't put humpty dumpty back together again.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    I bought a ULA pack at the end of '03 after hiking around someone who was VERY rough on that pack.
    Rough how?

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    Ha!!! I like that sentence.
    Not surprised.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    Rough how?
    I wasn't talkin' about you dear.

I was talking about Dr Dolittle. When she took her ULA P1 off, she'd unbuckle it and let it drop. It still looked almost new when she finished her sobo on Springer that year.

[/quote]Not surprised.
    [/quote]

Hey Jan;
    Stumpknocker

Images

My retired but still functional old Gregory pack has about 3000 miles on it. My current Gregory Whitney has around 1500 and is like new still.

Just to put in another word for comfort and style (not!), I have about 1000 miles on a humble Mountainsmith Boundary pack: Extremely comfortable, spacious and well organized. Its no beauty, and its not a lightweight, but at 4.6 pounds, and ultra-cushiness, I'd buy one again. Probably will, too, if the hiker grunge smell can't be further reduced. Shoulder comfort is key, as is hip belt padding. The older I get the more I appreciate such things, especially after a stop in town and a fresh load of food. Its cheap, too, relatively speaking, I got it for under $100.
    Happy '09, dear fellow travelers!
    "Live, Agnes, LIVE!"

Oh, and in addition to the above mentioned features, the frame on this pack supports a load really well. In contrast to a Vapor Ki, it made a huge difference in comfort.
    "Live, Agnes, LIVE!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++