WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

OK, I'll simplify the issue for y'all. You just send me a Dollar/3.80 and I'll give the officials a wink and a nod. If you send me 10 times that you can mention my name (you know how much weight that carries.) If you send me 100 times that I'll show you the secret NH hand shake.
    I'll bet you out of staters feel better already.

Journal Entries
    Images

If NH really wants to save its taxpayers the burden of paying for stupid and/or irresponsible people, it should charge smokers, no-helmet bikers and fat people more to live within its borders.

The extra cost for them is staggering.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    OK, I'll simplify the issue for y'all.
    I'll bet you out of staters feel better already.
    I know I do.

Now if you had said all y'all...

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    If NH really wants to save its taxpayers the burden of paying for stupid and/or irresponsible people, it should charge smokers, no-helmet bikers and fat people more to live within its borders.

The extra cost for them is staggering.
    Rather than get into convoluted debates about the ills of society, let's just stick to the topic which is a new law by NH authorities with ways to collect from intoxicated and ill-prepared hikers that don't pay their rescue cost .

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Rather than get into convoluted debates about the ills of society, let's just stick to the topic which is a new law by NH authorities with ways to collect from intoxicated and ill-prepared hikers that don't pay their rescue cost .
    The most recent story being discussed mentioned nothing about the two young men being intoxicated.

Indeed, the thrust of the recent change to the NH law is a change in the legal standard away from "reckless" and to "negligent" with all the inherent legal meaning of the terms.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    i'm thinking you missed something in this exchange. got caught up in your own exuberance and missed the boat, so to speak. BTW, you are getting super annoying.
    I think you're the one that got caught up in my exuberance and got all hot and bothered. Go back and read what woodsy's opinion is. Then read my opinion on his opinion. Sly either misread it or intentionally took it out of context. Seems to be a habit of his....

I hope I'm starting to annoy some of you. You need to start thinking with your brain and quit being a slave to emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Your reading skills and retention leave something to be desired. Who exactly is this you to whom you continually refer? There are many distinct groups of individuals involved all of whom are helping to educate visitors and they don't answer to you.

You really should stop insulting residents of New Hampshire. What they ought to do is prohibit you.

I suppose you think the course you propose should be free? Who do you think pays for hunter safety training? Who would offer this certification or licensing and enforce it?

It would probably be a New Hampshire agency or organization which licenses or certifies hikers/climbers and would conduct this course. Has it not occurred to you that the Whites Mountains are unique in some ways which contributes to people not knowing what to expect and thus gets them into trouble?

I presume you figure people who can't be bothered to visit hikeSafe.com will drive from Massachusetts and other states for these courses? Maybe you should consider the possibility that hikeSafe is a practical solution which can make a difference and is already in place.

I expect AMC is doing all kinds of things that would surprise you were you to visit their website. Maybe you should visit it, learn something and post some links instead of posting incessantly with your impractical solutions.

Really? How will any of it change anything and what does it do to educate anyone or improve upon what you find unsatisfactory?
    You really don't know who I'm talking about?

Why should New Hampshire prohibit me? For having an opinion? You're one bitter guy(and you've been up my a$$ since the PA ruck thread). Like I said, I understand the sentiment behind the law, I'm just going to side with the policy of most S&R's.

You're making my argument for me, what with the differences the Whites offer. Just one more reason to force a certification on people... I don't actually support that policy, but it makes the most sense if NH is really that concerned with people in the Whites. It's apparently a "severe" situation so severe measures should be taken. Teaching these courses would probably cost less per year than you're shelling out for S&R.... Then legal obligation to pay back the S&R would be even easier to prove should it go to court.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    The most recent story being discussed mentioned nothing about the two young men being intoxicated.

Indeed, the thrust of the recent change to the NH law is a change in the legal standard away from "reckless" and to "negligent" with all the inherent legal meaning of the terms.
    Correct. The slippery slope has just been greased....

Journal Entries
    Images

NH can be funny about a bunch of stuff.

The Concord NH Public Library is the only one I ever visited where I was refused access to a Computer Terminal for the lack of a local library card.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    It's an internet forum where we're kicking around ideas and having a grand time doing so. So what?
    What appears above belongs in the gap near the bottom of what I was last quoted as posting.

tax dollars should be used to keep S&R teams trained and equipped. Rescuees should cover the costs of an actual S&R mission. whether the rescuee is a sober seasoned pro or a drunken, dumb newbie doesnt matter. If unable (or unwilling) to pay for this service the rescuee should be given an option of community service or volunteer hours. If unwilling or unable to do this either, then NH needs to take the rescuee to court, attatch wages etc.. The idea of taking away a drivers licence from someone for doing something completely unrelated to driving is absurd. Maybe they should away their right to vote and own land while they're at it

What appears above belongs in the gap near the bottom of what I was last quoted as posting.
    Really? How will any of it change anything and what does it do to educate anyone or improve upon what you find unsatisfactory?

I didn't realize whiteblaze was a state legislature... Answer? It might provoke one of the residents to consider what's been discussed, whether it's my opinion or not and that could lead to bigger things...

Anyway, that isn't the point. We're debating/discussing the new law for our entertainment.

Images

It might provoke one of the residents to consider what's been discussed, whether it's my opinion or not and that could lead to bigger things...
    Doubtful and I would think they know what's best for NH better than anyone.

Anyway, that isn't the point. We're debating/discussing the new law for our entertainment.
    I guess it doesn't take much.

Doubtful and I would think they know what's best for NH better than anyone.
    I don't see it as strictly a NH issue. This could affect anyone from anywhere. I can just see it now- John Doe from Ohio is lost and he knows it... but he thinks that maybe he can just keep trying to find his way and avoid that fee because he doesn't know if he's been negligent or not. So he keeps wandering around... John just made the rescue that much more difficult...

It just occured to me that I dont have a real job or a licence. I think Im gonna go hike the Whites next month in my crocs.

free ride in a chopper. why not?

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    free ride in a chopper. why not?
    only if you're a kennedy or a high profile disabled thru-hiker. works at katahdin anyway

I hope I'm starting to annoy some of you.
    Starting ? thats http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...aughing013.gif
    You need to take a hike man, better not do it in NH though, you seem scairt of the negligent hiker law.
    WALK ON

Images

Default Keep Charging Idiots

Can u imagine.....I have insurance! I can try anything .....I'll just call 911 LW will get me

NO WAY !!!!

Here is the best BUMPER STICKER I MADE FOR SOMEONE THIS PAST YEAR...
    I think it fits here
    and to keep this thread on track ....

BEWARE cause it is now a $2000 (YES THOUSAND!) fine for peeing in public (as of JAN 1) in NH and last I heard the woods was public ....watch out for those NH Rangers lookin for your $$$ Z
    REALLY now.......
    STUPID SHOULD HURT how else they gonna learn a lesson

Lets not make it too easy for people to be STUPID cause someone else ends up risking their life to save em
    THANKS TO ALL THOSE SAR FOLKS
    I hope I never make ya work
    PEACE
    FISHINFRED

MY STUFF

MY STUFF ON EBAY

I will be in the White Mountains for my anniversary January 9-11.

I WILL BE CONDUCTING A TEST OF THE NEW HAMPSHIRE EMERGENCY HIKER RESPONSE TEAM. DO NOT WORRY THIS IS
    ONLY. A TEST.

IN EVENT OF A REAL EMERGENCY I WILL TRY TO ALERT THE PROPER AUTHORITIES, HAVE MY CREDIT CHECKED, SEE IF I AM ECONOMICALLY VIABLE TO RECEIVE FINANCING FOR A S + R OPERATION, AND THEN WORK OUT A FIRM AGREEMENT OF PAYMENT PLAN AND INTEREST RATE FOR MY INVESTMENT. PER CHANCE GANGRENE HAS SET IN BY THE TIME MY INVESTMENT HAS ARRIVED.
    PLEASE REVIVE

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++