WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Married on trail?

Is there anyone present on WB who was married on the AT or other trail? And also i hold official "missionary" ordination so i can perform weddings, if it is something some lovely young couple has been wanting
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Um, what the hell is official missionary ordination?

Either you're legitimately ordained, recognized, and legally able to perform a marriage in a particular State or you're not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not juming on you here, but being an "official missionary" somewhere doesn't necessarily qualify you to perform marriages on the Trail or anywhere else.

My wife & I were married on the Long Path atop Hook Mountain near Upper Nyack, NY.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

A couple of years ago I met a some folks that had gotten married on top of Wildcat in the Whites. They were in Andover at the time headed north on their honeymoon.

Images

Nope plan on getting hitched in NC on the beach 2011. But it'd make a heck of a good start to a life of yes mam.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Um, what the hell is official missionary ordination?

Either you're legitimately ordained, recognized, and legally able to perform a marriage in a particular State or you're not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not juming on you here, but being an "official missionary" somewhere doesn't necessarily qualify you to perform marriages on the Trail or anywhere else.

Agreed i just meant official by i have a charter to become my own independent church..and as such legally referred to as clergy, and also such as legally defined as clergy able to officiate weddings, being a bridal consultant also im well aware marraige laws vary sometimes county to county in any given state,it has been an idea i have kicked around for a couple years whether i should actualy do it so i just decided to go ahead and do it.
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

That's cool, Captain.

As neither the Catholics nor the Unitarians seem too enthralled with the prospect, if I decide to embrace the state of matrimony again, I'll certainly keep you in mind.

Talk to you in a century or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    That's cool, Captain.

As neither the Catholics nor the Unitarians seem too enthralled with the prospect, if I decide to embrace the state of matrimony again, I'll certainly keep you in mind.

Talk to you in a century or so.

Ha deal there jack

Images

I met a couple that were married on springer and divorced by maine

Quote Originally Posted by snowhoe View Post
    I met a couple that were married on springer and divorced by maine
    You kidding?

Images

I got engaged on the summit of Big Slide when I finished my ADK46 years ago. I thought it was the perfect position to be in - 6 of one/halfdozen of the other -
    Either it's all downhill from here, or from here there's nowhere to go but down.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

captain, I am not kidding whats funny is that they drove to maine and it only took 3 days. Talk about a honeymoon period... No I am just kidding!!!

Unhappy

Nice thought but I don't see that happening...............

stranger things have happened and will continue to happen, will say more people than i thought , i thought it was only going to be one or two people max

So, does your certificate only allow the missionary position for legal relations?

In case anyone is wondering, this type of "ordination" is available for a small fee over the internet. Just a few clicks and you are as official as this guy. For example:

http://www.wcm.org/?gclid=COv0jaXN6ZcCFQa-sgod2U7RCg

Quote Originally Posted by nufsaid View Post
    So, does your certificate only allow the missionary position for legal relations?

Define legal relations? but if your asking if i can only officiate weddings with it then no im actually free to found and run my own church, hold fundraisers,minister in other churches(with their permission of course) and what have you, oh yeah and im tax exempt thats a nice legal relation, but im just using it for the weddings, i feel not been called to preach or found a church, nor do i think i will ever be. But doing the weddings just feels right like its something im supposed to be doing, indeed. was just wondering if anyone was thinking of doing it (getting married on trail) cuase im due up for a section this summer

Quote Originally Posted by nufsaid View Post
    In case anyone is wondering, this type of "ordination" is available for a small fee over the internet. Just a few clicks and you are as official as this guy. For example:

http://www.wcm.org/?gclid=COv0jaXN6ZcCFQa-sgod2U7RCg

exactly right though that is not the one i used

and i just realized how this could become a religion debate-belittling thread, not my intention at all could have just made it a poll now that i think about it

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Is there anyone present on WB who was married on the AT or other trail? And also i hold official "missionary" ordination so i can perform weddings, if it is something some lovely young couple has been wanting
    I met a few couples that got married at Trail Days.

One couple was married along the trail somewhere by a hiking minister. Then was married again at Trail Days for the paperwork.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++