WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Traveling to trail with dog

While hiking SOBO, I got off the trail in NY after I had emergency surgery to remove my busted appendix. Was wonderful, since I had an ironclad excuse to go home to NC for Christmas. My plan was to return to NY in Jan. after the holidays. I picked up a stray dog, which became Dagny, who is now coming along to hike with me. What is the best way to get back to the trail with a dog? I am going to Bear Mt most likely, 34 miles from NYC. Any ideas?

~ Z

Journal Entries
    Images

There isn't an answer for this post as Septa Regional, and Greyhound have a clear no pet policy, except service animals for handicapped.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

Dark Glasses and a white hiking pole?

My guess is you'll have to bribe someone to drive you up there. Or find someone to look after the dog while your gone. It sort of depends on the breed, but I would think trying to hike with a dog in the winter is going to be trouble. Be sure he has his own insulated mat and sleeping bag!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    My guess is you'll have to bribe someone to drive you up there. Or find someone to look after the dog while your gone. It sort of depends on the breed, but I would think trying to hike with a dog in the winter is going to be trouble. Be sure he has his own insulated mat and sleeping bag!
    all i read was hiking in the winter with dog. alot of breeds get snowpack in thier pads and they stop every 10 feet trying to pull it out with their teeth,especially dogs with hair around the pads(long story short, bring dog booties) IMO

Rent a car.

Journal Entries
    Images

That was a good one only does he leave it at the trail head?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Rent a car, see if the rental store has a location close to the trail - some companies will drive you to the trail and take the car back to the dealer if its close.

Post on here, see if one of us can give you a ride from the closest rental location.

++ New Posts ++