WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Default crocs/camp shoes

Hmm,

It seems like some would rather save a few ounces and not bring camp shoes and just hike in running shoes with no second pair.

Wait till you get up to the 100 mile wilderness or other places where there are streams to ford. Because you just had to save 6-10 oz on foot ware, you now have only one pair of shoes (probably running shoes) to hike with because you don't have the crocs or sandles to change into for the stream crossing.

So now you go across..your feet and shoes get soaked. In my experience hiking with wet feet leads to blisters! I'd rather have more weight than blisters.

David

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Amen!

I'll gladly carry the extra weight to give my feet a good, healthy, and comfortable rest after a day on the trail. As far as I'm concerned, my crocs are gram-shaver camp shoes. Maybe I'm rough on flipflops, but I think I'd need to carry the same weight in duct tape to keep repairing the blue foam flipflops.

As said earlier, go as light as makes for an enjoyable trip.

I agree. My crocs are soooo comfortable and they have never slipped off my feet. Can't tell you how many times I've had to climb up and down a muddy slope to get water where flip flops would have been a disaster. I ran into a guy at Grayson Highlands who had mighty bad blisters, and for relief, had hiked the last 100 miles in his crocs.

I like comfort, and knowing I'll be able to get into my crocs at the end of a hard day is worth the extra few ounces.

Some folks love their crocs, I won't hike without them. Others can get by with nothing. You have to do what works for you.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

I bought my first pair of Crocs in 2004 at Neel Gap. (notice, not "Neel's" Jack and LW) I have used a pair every year since. Worth the small weight to be able to change shoes in camp or in town (especially in town). Now, if I hiked from dusk to dawn like Garlic, I'd go without. But this old woman needs to rest after hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I bought my first pair of Crocs in 2004 at Neel Gap. (notice, not "Neel's" Jack and LW)
    good girl

Anybody tried these? http://www.quarkgear.com/clogs.asp as light as 3.4 oz and look just like a pair of crocks but about 10oz lighter!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Here's a link to a discussion thread on Practical Backpacking regarding the Komodo knock-offs. Looks like they may be an ounce or two lighter than regular Crocs. I can't determine why they would be more versatile, but I'll check them out the next time I'm in Spokane and can find a Big 5.
    I guess by versatile I mean they are wearable in more situations. The ones I am referring to are like a sandal or watershoe (covered toes) than a clog. They are comfortable for just walking around can be used for wading and watersports without coming off your feet easily, but drain and dry quickly. Thay are not a replacement of nylon/rubber/leather sandals, but are very useful as secondary footwear.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rp1790 View Post
    Anybody tried these? http://www.quarkgear.com/clogs.asp as light as 3.4 oz and look just like a pair of crocks but about 10oz lighter!
    I'm pretty sure that that is 3.4 ounces per clog, and probably not a men's size 10, but they're still likely a little lighter that comparably sized Crocs.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    No camp shoes for me. If my feet are wet, I slip into some clean socks after wiping out my trail runners (or sandals). For those using heavier leather boots, I'd recommend what I used to bring (along with some other posters above), old, tired street running shoes.
    For a lighter alternative you might look at indoor track shoes. They're about the lightest thing that won't come off your foot in the muck.
    Crocks don't tend to stay on your feet in difficult situations, and they float, so crossing a stream in them, if they come off, can be a "bye,bye" situation.
    Another thing that works on many levels is a very thin (2mm or so) pair of neoprene socks. Warm when wet, and dry pretty quickly. You can get zip up boots which might be good for camp shoes.
    Really, I try not to take off my wet shoes until it's time for bed, anyway. Dry socks to bed, coupled with wiped out trail runners usually work for the time or two I have to get up in the middle of the night.
    another option for neoprean camp shoes are cycling booties like this
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1344
    nice in cold wet weathers
    not the lightest but it does have a rubber sole. I know there are more expensive lighter versions from band name manufactures, some even use kevlar renforcments for the feet.

pros, more expensive version can be real light as cyclist are also weight weenies

cons, make sure you dont get ones with the "cleat hole" pre cut in the bottom.

I have never used them backpacking but I have walked around in mine outside many times. no real padding but warm, water proof and stays put you dont have to worry about them coming off.

also check out surfing booties.

I vote bare feet! No additional weight, waterproof, breathable and they've been tried and tested for 200,000 years. Some have walked the entire AT barefoot.

For the rare instance when it's too cold, put on yer shoes!

Images

I am with you, I spend about 5 months every year with out putting shoes on at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Hmm,

It seems like some would rather save a few ounces and not bring camp shoes and just hike in running shoes with no second pair.
    A few ounces are not my reason for not carrying camp shoes, but I'll take the savings.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Default waldees

waldees were crocs before there were crocs - and they are lighter and cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I'm pretty sure that that is 3.4 ounces per clog, and probably not a men's size 10, but they're still likely a little lighter that comparably sized Crocs.
    I emailed cust svc about this and they came back and said it was per pair.

Images

i got a pair of vibram five fingers kso! they rock and i can hike in them in a pinch!

DavidNH said:

"It seems like some would rather save a few ounces and not bring camp shoes and just hike in running shoes with no second pair.
    Wait till you get up to the 100 mile wilderness or other places where there are streams to ford. Because you just had to save 6-10 oz on foot ware, you now have only one pair of shoes (probably running shoes) to hike with because you don't have the crocs or sandles to change into for the stream crossing.
    So now you go across..your feet and shoes get soaked. In my experience hiking with wet feet leads to blisters! I'd rather have more weight than blisters.
    "

Much faster is to just walk through the stream wearing your one and only pair of footwear, lightweight non-waterproof trail runners, shoes that dry fast, that you can literally walk dry. Lots of stream crossings in the Sierras on the PCT, very common for PCT thru-hikers to do just that, walk through them without changing shoes on either side.

I did change a couple of times last year, not because I have alternative footwear (I don't) but to try out neoprene socks. Made it less painfully cold, but ultimately more of a PITA to change back and forth so I stopped doing that.

Each to their own, but while I agree that hiking with wet feet leads to blisters over the long term, I don't agree that walking through streams and then walking your shoes dry will necessarily lead to blisters. Anyway, by the time a NOBO thru-hiker gets to the 100 mile wilderness, I would expect their feet to be so tough that blisters of that sort would be pretty rare.

Perhaps the dynamics seem different to someone doing a shorter trip. If you're really concerned, an alternative is goretex socks to put on *after* crossing the stream (in your shoes) to keep your feet dry while walking the shoes dry. Not too much of a weight hit doing that.

Journal Entries
    Images

One thing about it is in my experience flip flops are useless cuz my feet slip off and out of them so easily. I can't imagine trying to cross a stream in them. Crocs I could see how they hang on, but how good is the tread on a pair of Crocs?
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

If you walk in bare feet for a while they toughen up and will be ok.

I made a pair of camp shoes similar to the ones quoted in BPL out of evazote foam and duct tape (but mine cover the toes). I like to have a pair of camp shoes and have carried the croc's before but didn't like the weight or bulk.

The diy ones work well for me, but I doubt they would hold up on a long thru hike.

Right at 1 oz for the pair.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++