WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Greenleaf Hut

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Default Greenleaf Hut

Some info and pictures can be found at: http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/green_hut.html

Default A unique experience at Greenleaf

Last month following the ATC Conference, my GF and I did some luxurious (i.e. hut-to-hut) hiking in the Whites and enjoyed a most pleasant surprise at Greenleaf Hut.

Having hiked up the Liberty Springs trail, north over on Franconia Ridge to Mt. Lafayette, and down to Greenleaf, we were one of the last arrivals. I walked in and didn't find any apparent "Croo" members around. Then I saw a apron-clad guy close to my age or older come over and welcome us. He was part of the Croo, giving us the basic orientation.

I hadn't stayed in a White Mountains hut since the early 90s so I thought well, I guess AMC is getting some retirees nowadays to join their croos. Then at suppertime when we were all seated, I noticed the croo consisted of 5 older guys all in their 50s & 60s along with one young woman. One of my tablemates remarked "this was the oldest croo I've ever see."

So after dinner, the story came out: the regular croo had "vanished" under cryptically-explained circumstances. Our current croo was a reunion - all the guys had crooed in the 1970s, some even in the 1960s. I don't know how they arranged it but they all came together to croo this hut for a week or so. Between supper and dessert, they all told stories of their experiences back in the day and also shared photos. Supper was one of the recipes they used 40 years ago.

And the young woman serving with them? She's 2nd generation - the daughter of another old guy who wasn't able to make it. She fit in real well with them and was clearly having a good time.

This croo was having the time of their lives. And it certainly made our stay enjoyable.

You arrived on the night of the annual summer crew get together party. None of the regular crews were on duty at any of the huts. It was all fill in crews made up of former hutsmen and wanta-bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Last month following the ATC Conference, my GF and I did some luxurious (i.e. hut-to-hut) hiking in the Whites and enjoyed a most pleasant surprise at Greenleaf Hut.

Having hiked up the Liberty Springs trail, north over on Franconia Ridge to Mt. Lafayette, and down to Greenleaf, we were one of the last arrivals. I walked in and didn't find any apparent "Croo" members around. Then I saw a apron-clad guy close to my age or older come over and welcome us. He was part of the Croo, giving us the basic orientation.

I hadn't stayed in a White Mountains hut since the early 90s so I thought well, I guess AMC is getting some retirees nowadays to join their croos. Then at suppertime when we were all seated, I noticed the croo consisted of 5 older guys all in their 50s & 60s along with one young woman. One of my tablemates remarked "this was the oldest croo I've ever see."

So after dinner, the story came out: the regular croo had "vanished" under cryptically-explained circumstances. Our current croo was a reunion - all the guys had crooed in the 1970s, some even in the 1960s. I don't know how they arranged it but they all came together to croo this hut for a week or so. Between supper and dessert, they all told stories of their experiences back in the day and also shared photos. Supper was one of the recipes they used 40 years ago.

And the young woman serving with them? She's 2nd generation - the daughter of another old guy who wasn't able to make it. She fit in real well with them and was clearly having a good time.

This croo was having the time of their lives. And it certainly made our stay enjoyable.
    Now that's a special kind of trail magic!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I would like to hike my first AT this summer, my trail would be the Greenleaf trail, a night at greenleaf hut and then go down by the Old Bridle Path.
    First, I'm Canadian and I don't know the specifics régulations. Do I have to pay fee to hike this trail ?(except the fees at Greenleaf hut).
    Second, what about the logistic, I will park my car at the beginning of one trail and end at another trail, can I walk this distance? Is there some sort of shuttle ?
    Third, when people say the trail is "crowded", do they mean dozens of people or it's simply that we can come across few people in the trail.
    Is there anything else that I should know about this hike ? Someone have a better 2 days/1 nigh hike in this area ?
    Thanks, can't wait to hike my first AT.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by md1486 View Post
    I would like to hike my first AT this summer, my trail would be the Greenleaf trail, a night at greenleaf hut and then go down by the Old Bridle Path.
    First, I'm Canadian and I don't know the specifics régulations. Do I have to pay fee to hike this trail ?(except the fees at Greenleaf hut).
    Second, what about the logistic, I will park my car at the beginning of one trail and end at another trail, can I walk this distance? Is there some sort of shuttle ?
    Third, when people say the trail is "crowded", do they mean dozens of people or it's simply that we can come across few people in the trail.
    Is there anything else that I should know about this hike ? Someone have a better 2 days/1 nigh hike in this area ?
    Visit the AMC website and become a member. You get discounts on the hut stays and on their shuttles and will probably recoup the cost of your membership. Most likely you will just come across a few people now and then except at huts and on Mt Washington where there will be a lot of people.

Your intended itinerary does not actually go on the AT unless you change your route, see my comment in bold as using the Old Bridal Path up and Falling Waters down gets you on one section of the AT (Franconia Ridge trail from the summit of Lafayette to Haystack). It is very spectacular stretch of the AT.

First, I'm Canadian and I don't know the specifics régulations. Do I have to pay fee to hike this trail ? NO (except the fees at Greenleaf hut).
    Second, what about the logistic, I will park my car at the beginning of one trail and end at another trail, can I walk this distance? Yes, there is bike trail that runs from one parking lot to the other. Its 2.5 miles, you need to go the parkway to the west side to pick up the bike path from the Old Bridal Path Parking lot. Its uphill so consider doing it the first day. Is there some sort of shuttle ? NO
    Third, when people say the trail is "crowded", do they mean dozens of people or it's simply that we can come across few people in the trail.The Greenleaf trail is somewhat less popular than the Old Bridal Path. The Old Bridal Path/ Falling Waters loop is one of the most popular loop likes in the whites and on most nice weekends the parking lots on either side of the parkway are full and people need to park in the grass, there can routinely be several hundred people on the loop. If you start early (7 AM) the trail is fairly empty but anytime after 9 AM its quite crowded meaning you will pass or be passed every couple of minutes
    Is there anything else that I should know about this hike ? Someone have a better 2 days/1 nigh hike in this area ?If you can get and afford reservations at Greenleaf its hard to beat this hike although most people do the Old Bridal path up and then head up Lafayette and down Franconia Ridge trail then down Falling Waters trail the next day. This cuts out having to walk the bike path. Greenleaf Trail is nice on hot day due to shade but Old Bridal Path has far better views.
    This is fairly rugged hike with a lot of elevation gain and its paved with rocks from start to finish make sure you are in shape. Bring Sunscreen and plenty of containers to carry water, you can fill up at the hut but you still need something to carry it in. Bring earplugs as the huts are quite full and noisy at night. You need fairly good wind gear year round as the hike and hut is exposed. The hut can get cold at night and there is no heat

This link will tell you what you need for day hiking http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=full-gear-list.

Images

I'd second peakbagger's recommended hike.

No fees to hike.
    I always just park with everybody else at Lafayette Campground when I hike in this area. You'll figure out the parking situation when you get there - it's pretty much find a spot with everybody else off the side of the campground or ramp roads. Get there as early if possible as it gets crowded.
    If it is a nice weekend day, there will be dozens of dozens - of dozens. I have literally seen well over a hundred hikers on the summits of Mt. Lafayette and Little Haystack on nice days. Great places for lunch if it isn't real windy.
    As it's only a little over 3 mile hike to Greenleaf Hut from Lafayette campground, if you get there early, hike over to the The Basin and Kinsman Cascades. It's about a 2 mile quick and level (not tiring) walk. Take the Pemi Trail which parallels the river and bike path for a nicer walk. When done, hike up the Old Bridle Path to the Greenleaf Hut, (3 miles, elevation gain 2400 feet), and stay the night.

The next morning, hike up the Greenleaf Trail to the summit of Mt. Lafayette (1.1 miles, elevation gain 1000 feet). From the Summit of Mt. Lafayette 5260', your hike will be mostly downhill the rest of the way. Head south on the Franconia Ridge Trail, which is also the AT - FINALLY ON THE AT! Hike about 1 mile over the summit of Mt. Lincoln 5089', and another .7 miles to the summit of Little Haystack 4780'. From there, leave the AT and take the Falling Waters Trail back to Lafayette campground. Total distance day two, 5.8 miles.

Oh, and bring your camera on this hike. It's truly one of the most beautiful short hikes anywhere.

Check out this for a preview http://www.summitpost.org/the-franco...raverse/156248 And note that the trail on the ridge is actually much wider (and safer) than one is led to believe from the write up.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

As others have said, it will be very crowded on weekends with nice weather, as it is a glorious hike with fairly easy access from Boston and points south. The ride is short enough that one can drive up and back from the Boston area, with enough time to do a loop from Lafayette Campground. I have done it quite a few times over the years, when I only have one day free to hike.

Images

Second the above comments. Also, familiarize yourself with the Mount Washington Observatory's website. Their information and forecasts for the White Mountains are invaluable: www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Thanks guys, I would probably do the Old Bridal path up, sleep at Greenleaf hut, then down Falling Waters trail the next day. I would go there by the end of June, do I have to book my night far in advance or can I wait couples of weeks before ?

Images

Thanks guys, I would probably do the Old Bridal path up, sleep at Greenleaf hut, then down Falling Waters trail the next day. I would go there by the end of June, do I have to book my night far in advance or can I wait couples of weeks before ?
    I found that weekends get booked pretty early so you may need to do it early. The AMC website will show availability at huts and it even has a low availability warning when reservations for the huts show them nearly full for a specific day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    I found that weekends get booked pretty early so you may need to do it early. The AMC website will show availability at huts and it even has a low availability warning when reservations for the huts show them nearly full for a specific day.
    http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/huts/
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Wow that seems to get booked really early...Is this loop ( Old Bridal path up, sleep at Greenleaf hut, then down Falling Waters trail ) feasable in only 1 day ? I think it's 15km, but the trail seems quite hard. If it's possible to do it in one day, it would be easier for me to stay in a motel near mt Lafayette since I cannot really book in advance and it seem to have plenty of motel in the area.

Wow that seems to get booked really early...Is this loop ( Old Bridal path up, NO sleep at Greenleaf hut, then down Falling Waters trail ) feasable in only 1 day ? I think it's 15km, but the trail seems quite hard. If it's possible to do it in one day, it would be easier for me to stay in a motel near mt Lafayette since I cannot really book in advance and it seem to have plenty of motel in the area.
    Sorry , NO sleep at Greenleaf hut.

I am doing it on Sunday as a dayhike. Lots of folks do the old bridal path falling waters loop as a dayhike. Its one of the more popular day hikes in the whites. There is firm out of montreal that runs tour buses down a few times a summer. There is a state campground just across the street. Just take your time and plan on taking 8 to 10 hours and unless you are in poor shape you are covered. That being said, the location of Greenleaf is a great place to spend a clear night, it has nearby sunset views and I expect eh sunrise over the ridge is pretty spectacular.

Old "Bridle" Path. Not "Bridal." There is a bad joke in there somewhere, but I am not going there. Easy mistake to make, but I expect more out of peakbagger, lol.

Images

Hah, I've been looking for an excuse to post this old picture of the summit of Mt Lafayette. And the reason the trail up is called the Bridle Path.

Hotel on Lafayette.jpg
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hillwalker View Post
    Hah, I've been looking for an excuse to post this old picture of the summit of Mt Lafayette. And the reason the trail up is called the Bridle Path.

Hotel on Lafayette.jpg
    I suspect that the bride rode side-saddle.

I must admit, my spelling has been degraded by autocorrect.

++ New Posts ++