WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thruhiker101

Default hunting along thru hike... possible?

I am wondering if to possible to sustain proper nutrition along the my thru hike: with dehydrating veggies and hunting along the way....

possible but highly improbable

You would need to know and follow the laws of each jurisdiction you hiked through. you could not hunt at all in many park areas. Where you could hunt you would need plenty of time to locate, kill and process game. I'm assuming you wouldn't be poaching, of course, but even with poaching, you would have a very tough time both supporting yourself and making any progress.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

A waste of your time and money. As above, highly improbable.
    Rockdawg69

Caution: Falling and Rolling Rocks have the Right-of-Way!!!!

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Hunting is absolutely illegal along all National Park Service lands--that's 900 miles of the trail. Read more here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...and_the_AT.htm

Images

Check out The Last American Man.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-American-...0299243&sr=1-1

I understand from talking to someone who met Eustace Conway during his hike, that "foraging" also included accepting food from other hikers.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    possible but highly improbable
    on a thru-hike no. you wouldn't make miles in a day. thru-hiking is a marathon. it's about making miles. hardly enuf time to take in the sights, never mind hunting and foraging. one could certainly live on the AT year round hunting and gathering

Images

I knew a fellow thru-hiker who carried a little break-down .22 rifle and a collapsible fly rod for much of his hike.

He used them to supplement his food supply a little bit along the way, but he still brought mostly from grocery stores. I believe he did subsist for 10 or 12 days in the 100 Mile Wilderness with as much as a 1/3 of his food taken from the backcountry.

But he did this because he really enjoyed hunting and fishing, not as a way to resupply.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by thruhiker101 View Post
    i Am Wondering If To Possible To Sustain Proper Nutrition Along The My Thru Hike: With Dehydrating Veggies And Hunting Along The Way....
    Lmao

Images

not to mention all the hunting licenses and laws for each state that you would have to follow. And then you have all the hikers who think guns are wrong and that killing an animal is the worst thing you can do. I am sure they will do everything they can to make it hard on you.I would think that you could fish. On the southern part of the trail there wasnt that many place you could fish that were right on the trail.

I am wondering if to possible to sustain proper nutrition along the my thru hike: with dehydrating veggies and hunting along the way....
    aint gonna happen rambo. pick one. do you want to hike or do you want to hunt?

Not enough time or energy to hunt your way to K.

Images

Default Not really

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Hunting is absolutely illegal along all National Park Service lands--that's 900 miles of the trail. Read more here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...and_the_AT.htm
    The statement on the ATC site is not exactly correct. Hunting is permitted on the NPS acquired lands in NH and VT, and possibly on those lands in Maine. In NH and VT, the NPS has "administratively transferred" the corridor to the NFS, but it still retains ownership. My knowledge is based upon the fact that I coordinate the volunteer AT Corridor program for Western NH and a sizable portion of the trail in VT. When we post our "no darn near everything allowed" placards on the Corridor we have to be sure we don't use the ones that also say "no hunting".
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

No. Not legally. Not even close.

If you could live off mice you could probably do it. (they would taste better with the dried veggies too)
    Ask Farley Mowat.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    If you could live off mice you could probably do it. (they would taste better with the dried veggies too)
    Ask Farley Mowat.
    If nothing else, it'd probably be a good supplement and protien source. The closest thing I've had to rat was squirrel - not bad. Anyone ever eat rat/mice, how is it?

Forget about the hunting, but, if you like to fish, and you are doing a nobo, wait until Maine. By the time you get there you should be able to have a fairly good quesstimate as to how much time you have left to spend on the trail. If you have the time, mail drop your fishing gear and get a license. Plenty of good fishing spots.
    BTW, I tried the hunting thing on some section hikes during the 80's. Total waste of time and effort, and I used to hunt small gave with revolvers.
    If you are serious about supplementing your diet off the land, edible plants are the way to go. Supplementing is the key word. You won't feed yourself off of them, but you can add some flavor and nutrition to your meals.

Images

You can kill alot of grouse..... they taste great and you can take out 3 or 4 a day with no problem..... stupid things fly right at you. Just swing-batter-batter-swing!

Other then the hiker who did this, I didnt see any other hikers hunting along the trail. Not really worth the time and effort, plus for a hiker to have to clean all the blood up after wacking the bird with his poles.... its messy.

Just stick to mail drops.

If you do decide to hunt let us know how it goes :")

Journal Entries
    Images

Well I learned a lot from the thread - still unpopular, but so is cleaning fish.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hillwalker View Post
    The statement on the ATC site is not exactly correct. Hunting is permitted on the NPS acquired lands in NH and VT, and possibly on those lands in Maine. In NH and VT, the NPS has "administratively transferred" the corridor to the NFS, but it still retains ownership. My knowledge is based upon the fact that I coordinate the volunteer AT Corridor program for Western NH and a sizable portion of the trail in VT. When we post our "no darn near everything allowed" placards on the Corridor we have to be sure we don't use the ones that also say "no hunting".
    Most of the trail in Maine is owned by the National Park Service and like other National Parks, no hunting is allowed, I believe. Nor is hunting allowed in most of Baxter State Park.

There is 50 miles or so of the trail in Maine that is on state lands. Hunting is allowed during hunting seasons on these state portions. But the seasons for game of most interest to hikers mostly occur in October and November after most hikers have passed through.

The state lands where hunting is allowed mostly are the Mahoosuc Range from the border northerly through the Baldpates, Bigelow Preserve, and part of the Nahmakanta Preserve.

Weary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++