WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: IAT vs AT

John Gault.. Canada is most definitely a different country and, no they are NOT just like us. For starters. in the Gaspe Peninsula area no one will speak English. they could but why should they? Beyond that their political system is different, their philosophies are different and their currency is different and worth lots more than ours. Man you gotta get out more!

They call it International AT because the trail runs through two countries (US and Canada). Personally, I'd prefer the IAT became the CAT or Canadian Appalachian Trail. But then the french translation would not fit in crossword like fashion as the IAT translation of SIA (Sentier International des Appalaches) does.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Well it is another country. There are similarities. But they are not exactly like us. Luckily, for them..

Weary
    Our beer is better than their beer.

First time I drove into Canada (early '70's), I stopped at the border crossing and a petite young lady in a blue customs officer uniform waved my car up to where she was standing. She asked where I was from (RI), where I was going (Expo in Montreal), and wished me a nice day and a good trip! I said: "Is that it? No ID requested, no search of the vehicle, etc. She said:" NO...enjoy Expo!"

Once into Canada, the town was indistinguishable from the states other than the funny looking money and the gas being sold in liters.

Today...thanks to 9-11, you need at least passport card, expect a search of your vehicle, and probably some form of profiling. How times have changed!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++