WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of 2011

Images

Default Class of 2011

I am planning for a 2011 thru hike. I know that is well down the road but I need the time to follow a tight budget to save money to cover my expenses back home while out backpacking.

Talking Me Too!!

My son and I will be NOBO '11. I gotta get this one old enough and the other one out of the house, then I'm free!!
    healthymom

Default more

My son and I are planning a field trip to Bill Jackson's in St Pete next Mon. We'll probably also stop by the outfitters on SoHo here in Tampa to see their expanded line. Although when I stopped by their site, they looked like mostly a clothing store.
    Are you a member of FTA? I'm looking at their activities. The only one I can see fitting into my schedule right now is the walkabout at Lettuce Lake this Sun morning. Since my husband's BD is Sat, I'm not sure if I'll be up early enough to go, but would like to.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by healthymom View Post
    My son and I are planning a field trip to Bill Jackson's in St Pete next Mon. We'll probably also stop by the outfitters on SoHo here in Tampa to see their expanded line. Although when I stopped by their site, they looked like mostly a clothing store.
    Are you a member of FTA? I'm looking at their activities. The only one I can see fitting into my schedule right now is the walkabout at Lettuce Lake this Sun morning. Since my husband's BD is Sat, I'm not sure if I'll be up early enough to go, but would like to.

I just went to Bill Jackson's last night. Must have been there for about two and a half hours. The employees were great! I got some needed items but am still holding out on the big items like tent and sleeping bag. They are having AT Clinic in Feb. I signed up for it.
    I have not been to the outfitters in Tampa. I am not a member of the FTA but was actually just looking at that the other day. It would probably be a good idea to join. Do you have any long distance backpaking experience?

No, we haven't done any LD hiking yet. We did a 19 mile day from Hillsborough River State Park earlier this year. We're looking to do the Croom Trail as soon as I get a big enough hole in my schedule. I'm on call 24/7, so finding escape time is difficult. I think we can do it in 2 days, but want to allow 3 just in case.

Images

I am new to LD hiking also. Maybe we can help each other out. I need hiking partners since my friends are not into it and being a female I am to scare going out by my self.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingbear View Post
    I am new to LD hiking also. Maybe we can help each other out. I need hiking partners since my friends are not into it and being a female I am to scare going out by my self.
    I'd love to hook up sometime! Email me privately and we can talk about it. I had a female hiking buddy, but she got married. Still says she's going, but I really doubt it. If you click on my handle, you should go to my profile. One of the tabs says 'contact info'. Click on that and there will be a link to email. Drop me a line. I'm going to bed with my wine and "There are Mountains to Climb." It's by a woman who thruhiked by herself.
    Looking orward to talking with you soon!
    healthymom

Hi! hikingbear and healthymom:

Welcome to the Class of 2011. I'm planning a Thru-Hike starting April 1st of that year.

I just came on this site to check my thread that I brought back to the surface yesterday and found this one.

I've been section hiking the trail since 73' and hope to do a few more section hikes as well as several hikes here in Southern Indiana before the 2011 date.

If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them for you, if I can.

You can send me a PM anytime from this site or drop me an E-mail.

Take care and again
    Gorp-Gobbler

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by healthymom View Post
    My son and I will be NOBO '11. I gotta get this one old enough and the other one out of the house, then I'm free!!
    healthymom

I hiked the trail with my 16 yr old son in '07. If you want to talk about anything, PM me.

As for me, I am still tentatively planning a 2011 SOBO - we'll see how the job front goes, etc.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I hiked the trail with my 16 yr old son in '07. If you want to talk about anything, PM me.

As for me, I am still tentatively planning a 2011 SOBO - we'll see how the job front goes, etc.
    Blissful I am so sorry to learn of your loss. I know what you must be feeling having loss pets myself over the years. I was even sadden when I lost an Oscar that I'd transported in a Coleman Cooler from Ohio. He survived the trip but died 8 months later.

When are you planning on leaving for your SOBO hike? My plans are for an April 1st launch NOBO.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gorp-Gobbler View Post
    Blissful I am so sorry to learn of your loss. I know what you must be feeling having loss pets myself over the years. I was even sadden when I lost an Oscar that I'd transported in a Coleman Cooler from Ohio. He survived the trip but died 8 months later.

When are you planning on leaving for your SOBO hike? My plans are for an April 1st launch NOBO.

Thanks so much.

I hope to leave as early in June as I can - depending on the weather on Katahdin and Maine.

April 1 is a HUGE start day, just to let you know - you will be with a crowd for a while.

Hiking Blog

Blissful, I'd love to hear about hiking with your son. Wilser will be 16, turning 17 on our hike. How did you prep him?
    Right now we're doing hikes around here. But there is very little elevation gain in FL.
    I'm sorry to hear about your Lady. I had to put our Shelley down this week. She lost all control of the muscles in her back end. She spent nearly 12 years with us. Her companion, our Aussie, has been wandering around looking for his sister.

Hi HealthyMom and Hiking Bear,
    I'm planning on starting from Flagg Mt. on the Pinhoti on Feb14, 2011. Between the thread that Gorp-Gobbler started and this one, its nice to know so many people are planning for their hike already. Hope to meet you on the trail if not sooner.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey 2011ers. The hike is not that far away, really!

I got excited just mentioning it. Planning for me helps ease Springer fever.

Hiking Blog

Images

Odd thing. I'm looking forward more to my April 1st, 2011 start date then I am my October 31st, 2010 retirement date. I'm more than ready to retire, just more excited about taking a long stroll in the woods.

Journal Entries
    Images

I was in the class of '68 in high school. Now Im in the class of 2011 and feel younger than ever!

Our 2010 thruhike date is now postponed till 2011. One hiking partner has a job issue and can't get away in 2010, this postponement will allow me to get in better financial shape so I am not too disappointed. Have $$ saved for trip but the need to quit job in 2010 would create $$ issues.
    And I'll have more time to update some gear. I'll do a week AT trip in May and hopefully 5 or so shorter AT trips
    Glad to join the rest of you 2011's
    Nana

I planing 2010 thru hike and would have like to go 2009 but the economy is so slow if it its like this next year I might have to hold off another year I sure hope not but this is giving me a chance to get in another couple hundred miles in section hiking before the the time comes to hit the whole trail

Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds like a good plan.

Hiking Blog

Images

Default Class of 2011

Hello,

I am planning, saving, and trainning for a NOBO hike starting March 15th 2011. Just figured i would see who else is planning to hike around this time...and if anyone wants to talk about different ideas for saving and buying gear.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++