WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2011

Journal Entries

Got my Tarptent Momnet for Xmas, just got my ULA circuit and orderd my Koota Bay down sleeping pad about a week ago. Next up sleeping bag and cloths.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampsb View Post
    Got my Tarptent Momnet for Xmas, just got my ULA circuit and orderd my Koota Bay down sleeping pad about a week ago. Next up sleeping bag and cloths.
    What kinda bag are you looking at gettin'?
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

Journal Entries

Marmot Helium FF Swallow or WM Ultralight. Not getting it for a while.

Hey Grampsb! I'm going with the WM Aplinlite! Just got it...Awesome bag!!!! Very light @ 2lbs 1oz for the long
    If you come to a fork in the road...take it - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Grampsb View Post
    Have you received your Kooka Bay sleeping pad yet? I would be interested in knowing what you think about it? Ease of inflation and deflation, stability, overall comfort, your take on the durability of construction....

I will be reattempting a nobo thru-hike after I finish my undergraduate degree and my roomate travis will be doings his first.
    cant wait

Journal Entries

Got the pad about a week ago. Hope to test it out this weekend. See how it inflates and defaltes. I did not get the Down insulated one. That one runs $150. The pad weighted in right at 12 oz.

I will have to take a look at the Aplinlite. Since I am going SOBO I figure I could go with a 30 -32d bag until Harpers Ferry.

I live in dunedin...about 20 min from bill jacksons. if you are interested in getting together sometime to hike...let me know.

Let's add another to the list! I'm going to shoot for Mid March to April 1. I've wanted to try a thru-hike for years and just got "permission" from the wife to go for it. Gear is mostly assembled. Cash is good I think. I can see something close to $3k to work with so I think this is all systems go. , So it's training time.

Cumberland Trail, here I come. Maybe Benton McKaye in the fall. Hope to meet some of you folks on the trail.

Food for thought:
    My biggest issue (no worries allowed!) will be sleeping in the cold, early days. I have a 40 degree bag and will be using a thermarest neo. I'm trying to decide if a silk liner and thermals will get me thru the first few weeks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lamarr View Post
    Food for thought:
    My biggest issue (no worries allowed!) will be sleeping in the cold, early days. I have a 40 degree bag and will be using a thermarest neo. I'm trying to decide if a silk liner and thermals will get me thru the first few weeks.
    It gets pretty cold that time of year. I had a 20 degree bag in northern GA around march 28 and I was still cold.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

craigs list rarely:in my area>> has good cheap gear check that often

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Leaving the first week of may (depending on when school is done) NOBO with the approach trail. I cant wait to see everyone out there.

PS im starting to obsess 8 ))

i should be out there right now i was all set to go on a 2010 thru but i chose to hold off until i was done with school... but its absolutely killing me and since i will be in school for the next 8 years i know i need to do it asap or its gonna end up driving me crazy... i lose my mind every time i open my closet and see my pack sitting there all ready to go. so im planning on doing 1 semester of school then starting my thru in mid-march of 2011... plus i wanna get it done before the world ends in 2012 haha jk.
    ~id rather be lost in the woods~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stunt man View Post
    i should be out there right now i was all set to go on a 2010 thru but i chose to hold off until i was done with school... but its absolutely killing me and since i will be in school for the next 8 years i know i need to do it asap or its gonna end up driving me crazy... i lose my mind every time i open my closet and see my pack sitting there all ready to go. so im planning on doing 1 semester of school then starting my thru in mid-march of 2011... plus i wanna get it done before the world ends in 2012 haha jk.

Sounds like a plan. If you don't do it now, when you don't have the committments/responsibilities that are sure to come along, you will likely have to wait until you retire.

And this 2012 thing is probably like the Y2K jitters. All I know is I'm not taking any chances and maxing out my credit cards, spending all my savings, partying till I drop, plus squeezing in a 2011 thru! [kidding!!...except for the thru].

Good luck and hope to see you out there!
    Simple is good.

Dinner fer 2 here,

2008 SOBO Long Trail thru hiker

Leaving from Spring Mt. on March 19th 2011, FULL MOON!!!!
    See you there

For those of us that are still making gear changes, and especially if you haven't purchased things yet - I can highly recommend these videos by Raul Perez. They contain some excellent weight saving recommendations!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJjFwl7i_rA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MxaRIeT8RY
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by DinnerFer2 View Post
    Leaving from Spring Mt. on March 19th 2011, FULL MOON!!!!
    See you there
    That's my birthday. I'm expecting to be on the trail before that, but only by days, and my date's not set in stone. Who knows, I might wind up deciding I want to start on my birthday.

In case anyone missed this - CLeamon posted this on another thread...

I am forming a Facebook group for all Nobo 2011 planners! Sort of a parallel to this forum I suppose. You're all welcome! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...3902293&ref=mf
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Wow, how many of us are starting April 1st? Seems like a bunch.

Leaving around May 8th, Sobo. Went GA-Damascus last year, finishing it off this summer.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++