WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of 2011

My son and I are planning, saving and training for a March 2011 thru as well. I won't know our date of departure until about 4-5 days before we go. I'm in the birth business, and will be leaving after my last Feb '11 baby is born. I will be packed and ready to go before the mom goes into labor.

For the time being, we're training by doing a few day hikes and as many longer ones as I can get away for. Getting away at all is tough when you're oncall 24/7.

Got a good deal on a steripen today.

Am probably looking at bags/pads next. Which brings me to a question. My son (now 14) has been camping and hiking with me since he was about 3. He has never expressed a need for a sleeping pad when we've primitive camped. Now he tells me that he doesn't feel he'll need one for our thru. Should I trust that? Or should I put aside a little extra because he's going to need one whether he knows it or not?
    Dee

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Get him a Thermarest z rest. It's what my son used throughout. And if he ever wants to be in a shelter those floors get mighty hard after a long day of hiking week after week.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Default Therma rest

Hey there...I'm getting pretty pumped even though its almost 2yrs away. I would also recommend a therma rest for your son. The padding is great and all but the main purpose is to get him off the cold ground. Hope all works out.

Hello everyone, Im glad to meet some people that I might meet on the AT. My friend and I are plan a thru hike april 1st 2011. I would love to any kind of advice to help me prepare better. thanks

Images

I'm planning a SOBO hike in 2011 starting in mid to late June. I figure this will be as good a time as any because I'll be transitioning from graduate school to working, or possibly more graduate school...

I wish everyone luck with planning and hope that everyone trying to get out for the 2011 season can make it happen!

- Tucky

Hello all....Another Class of 2011 hiker checking in. Trip planning still in its infancy but I figured this forum was a good place to gather information. Interesting to see the Florida hikers posting in this thread. I lived in Florida for years and used to go to the Smokies to hike two or three times a year.
    Absinthe.......It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Me too! Trying to get back out there in 2011!

Hey everyone April 1 2011 is my date. Can't wait

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

Unless something drastic changes in my life between now and then (god forbid)...

April 1st 2011 NOBO for me as well. Gear is already taken care of, at least until I see what I like and don't like and whittle away the dead weight. This year for training, next year for conditioning, then away we go!
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

My wife and I will retire next summer and are planning to do a southbound flip flop hike starting in March 2011. I look forward to talking with all of you and meeting you on the trail.

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

I posted in the 2010 class, and then started doing some math. Just was not going to work out financially. 2011 may be better, but 2012 may be best.

Just have to see where the money is, cause right now, i dont got none

I am also planning a 2011 NOBO hike around the last of Feb. or early Mar. hope to see you all.

Images

hikingbear about when what month are u plannig on starting?

Images

Hello?
    Forgive me if I make any mistakes, I'm new to the whole forum thing...
    My name's Steven, and myself and a friend of mine are firmly determined and exited about a South-bound thru-hike after we graduate in 2011. We camp and hike often, normally for no more than 2 or 3 nights at a time, but towards the end of summer we will start to dip into more long-distance adventures.
    I have been trying hard to do the necessary planing myself, I have read books a-plenty but I desperatly need to ask real people some real questions (and I have LOTS). So i'm realy exited about this site and i hope i'm posting on the right page...
    sooo.. am I in the right place? might i be worthy of haveing a few (or a lot) of my questions answered, I'd appreciate it more than you know!
    Thanks!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thepitts View Post
    Hello?
    Forgive me if I make any mistakes, I'm new to the whole forum thing...
    My name's Steven, and myself and a friend of mine are firmly determined and exited about a South-bound thru-hike after we graduate in 2011. We camp and hike often, normally for no more than 2 or 3 nights at a time, but towards the end of summer we will start to dip into more long-distance adventures.
    I have been trying hard to do the necessary planing myself, I have read books a-plenty but I desperatly need to ask real people some real questions (and I have LOTS). So i'm realy exited about this site and i hope i'm posting on the right page...
    sooo.. am I in the right place? might i be worthy of haveing a few (or a lot) of my questions answered, I'd appreciate it more than you know!
    Thanks!

Start by reading the articles on here and doing searches on threads. Lots of info too.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Will do.
    Muchas Garcias

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingbear View Post
    I am planning for a 2011 thru hike. I know that is well down the road but I need the time to follow a tight budget to save money to cover my expenses back home while out backpacking.
    Whew and I thought I was starting to plan too early!

Greetings fellow hikers, trail name here is UKFlatfoot and after doing some research and soul searching, I am in the April class of 2011 NOBO!

It was a tough decision for me. Although my first major trail experience was on the AT when I was a boy scout, when I was in the Air Force I was near the CDT and saw the beauty out there.

So I have been going back and forth over the past few months trying to decide which trail to attempt a thru.

Although I would love to hike the CDT realistically I am probably only going to get one shot at a thru until retirement and factoring in everything I decided on the AT.

The AT was where I first fell in love with hiking those many years ago, so it is only fitting that I return.

I am lucky that in my job, unless things get worse, we are allowed one time to take a paid 6 month sabbatical to do research and then come back and make a presentation. I am eligible to apply in 2011, and will do my research on the trail :O)

I thought maybe I was starting to plan too early but looking here on WB looks like I am in good company.

Currently reading everything I can get my hands on and starting to update my hiking equipment to my thru gear to start testing on hikes this year and next.

I look forward to meeting many of you on the trail and hopefully next 2 years at Trail Days!

Hike YOUR hike,
    UKFlatfoot
    UKFlatfoot
    http://blog.hikethetrails.net
    Hike YOUR Hike

Woooh! I'm also planning a 2011 thru-hike. Hopefully going in march, but I'll be a senior in high school and I don't know how much I'll be allowed to miss. Who cares though.Life is short...you have to live. I don't think I'll be able to stand being inside a concrete box anymore beyond that point. Still have to get a lot of gear and earn some cash...

Speaking of which....does anyone know of a decent outfitter in or some-what near upstate New York? I've got an EMS near me, but their selection is limited.

Smile A resource suggestion: female LD hiker who went solo

Quote Originally Posted by hikingbear View Post
    I am new to LD hiking also. Maybe we can help each other out. I need hiking partners since my friends are not into it and being a female I am to scare going out by my self.
    I really encourage you to check out Nocona's trail journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=662) and look up her posts on Whiteblaze. She did a thru hike without a planned partner and did just fine. She's a neat lady and has been a big help to me!

Images

2011, that's my year too.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++