WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KG4FAM View Post
    Somehow I can only win a game of cards if I only play for coins. I just cant win with folding money.
    I can't win at all, using change makes it less painful and still cheaper than going out.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

ya i have the same problem, i'm makin' waaaay too much money in this troubled economy to the point i just feel like pissin' it all away and i really just want to go hikin' WHAT????????

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    OK-
    So I am in a fairly recession-proof field (medical equipment) and hate it! Before my last hike, I was with a company that allowed unlimited overtime so I only saved for a couple of week before I started hiking. This job while secure, doesn't pay that well and has zero overtime.
    After ALL bills including food, I have about $900 per month left over for discretionary spending. My problem is I end up spending it on “stuff”. Nothing I need just going out, computer parts, etc…. How do I train myself to save MOST of it so I can hike sooner rather than later? When I say hike I mean, once I save enough, I go out and hike for as long as the money holds out then come back and work somewhere to earn more to go back out and hike (seeing a pattern?) Things to keep in mind, I live in Denver and do not drive. So I have to rely mostly on public transportation to get around. I’ve got that covered as my student fees cover “free” fair on all of the buses and light rails in the area. While that is fine for getting to the nearest mall, super store or movie theatre, it does not do so well getting to a variety of trails. I can get to a few but the mountainous ones are about an hour and a half to two hours each way. So hiking, other than the bike trails, is out of the question except on the weekends.
    So there you have it. Oh, I do like to drink a couple times a week, I love NFL football (go Cowboys!) and I am a Gemini. Any of you into astrology know how Geminis can be and I fit it to a T. Except the one thing that I never lose interest in is hiking. SO, any ideas on how to effectively save instead of spend while keeping me occupied? I would love to hear some ideas.
    Thanks all!
    Freefall,

I was in a similar situation this time last year...I found that the best solution is not to change what you want but how you get it. We sound pretty similar so here's what I did.

You mentioned going out so I assume that to mean dinner and drinks. I used to order in or go out 50% of the time after work. That means drinks, too. Part of the problem was that if my friends were all out I couldn't help myself but to meet them. And, if I went right after work that meant I was going to eat at the bar/restaurant before going home, too. So, I started making excuses for not meeting up for the full night out. Having "extra work" to do meant I could shoot home and cook up a plate of pasta (for about a buck) before heading down to the pub. Saved about 15 to 20 right there! Drinking a cheep beer (or two) before heading out for a weekend night saves $10 in the end.

Start eating/drinking like a hiker. Tap water. Brewed coffee. Pasta. Discount rack foods.

If you need movies or books the library is well stocked. Go see matinees instead of night time movies. Learn to use the local Redbox instead of the Blockbuster. Redbox costs a dollar. Blockbluster costs five.

As far as accumulating "stuff" goes, that's the one thing that'll have to stop. Remind yourself of how many trips you'll have to take to/from the rental van when moving and storing your new stuff. Or, that you might need to pay more money for a larger storage unit or bigger van. If you enjoy constantly packing it up and hiking on a regular basis shouldn't you start looking at your accumulated life as the contents of your backpack? It makes it easier for me. I've always tried to keep my "stuff" to that which would fit in my hatchback.

Stop using your cards. Even the debit. Pay for everything in cash. Only go the bar with the money you want to spend. Hold on to that pocket change...cash it in while you're packing up for some spending cash on your way to the trail. Keeping it all in cash gives you a physical representation of how much money you have. It's fun to look at what's left in the account/wallet when you get the next paycheck to see what you've gained by saving without needless spending. Then, imagine all the extra miles you'd get out of this weeks frugality.

Use cash only, give your cards to your mom or someone you trust for emergencies. Harder to spend when you see how much you have left.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

It's just a matter of priorities--figure out how much $$ a day you spend on the trail. A night at the bar probalby costs as much as 3-5 days on the trail.....Damn. Once you start looking everything in terms of 'days i could spend on the trail' instead of dollars, it'll be easier to save up.

One thing that struck me - you said you spend your free time at malls, movies and big stores. Of course you're going to spend money. Their whole purpose is to seperate you from your paycheck. Find other places to go - a gym (if you have student ID, can you go to the university gym for free?), library, or a walk in the neighborhood. If you go to the mall to hang with friends, then find alternatives. Buy a six pack and pick up a movie at the library or video store. Play games. Show off your photos from your last hike or go over maps for your next one. Make some of your own gear. Plan your dream trip on the internet. Find an on-line group to talk to or play games with. Volunteer at your local school, shelter, hiking trail, etc. Lots of places besides malls to spend your time. It's like going to the bars when you're an alcoholic, or heading to AC when you can't afford to gamble. Why put yourself in temptation's way?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++