WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Economy driving people to the AT?

About a week ago, when the rumors of layoffs at my current job began to become fact, I decided that it's time for me to ditch the worries & get back on the trail. At first, it was just a though of "This would be the perfect time to go back to NC," right before I fell asleep, and it kept gnawing & growing until I've finally decided that I'll take the worries & troubles of the trail over the stress of wondering if I'll be handed a box on any given day & told to pack up my stuff & hand in my security pass. I figure now even if it does happen between now & mid-April when I intend to leave, at least I'll have a plan.

I'm wondering how many other people out there are considering/opting for the AT when they get handed their pink slip (or possibility there-of), rather than jumping into the job hunt immediately.

I was laid off at the beginning of 2007. I even had continued pay for 6 months, then was eligible for unemployment. Unfortunately, getting on trail didn't occur to me until the great weather hit and I had all this free time on my hands (and NO desire to work on the house or anything productive like that). Since then I have seen the error of my ways.

I've asked the wife if, should I find myself again in a position like that, with no place to go and a paycheck in the mail anyway, would she support me going on a LDH. We're still in negotiations, and my current job is going reasonable well.

Images

Been out of work since the beginning of the year. Worked in construction which got hit really hard and decided to move back to NYC from Philly. With all my free time I decided to volunteer and take back up backpacking, so I'm getting my hiking legs back. If I don't find anything soon, a nice 6 month hike might do me good.
    The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk. ~Jacqueline Schiff

I just got laid off myself and am really considering my first thru hike. I've had the same job for 10 years and I figure when am I ever going to get the chance to do this again? I'm 33 and single. When you start getting into having a family and things like that, a 6 month hiatus isn't that practical. Most of my friends say I'm crazy if I don't take this opportunity.

Images

Normally, I'm an arch-conservative when it comes to the idea of people giving up employment to take what I consider a 6 month vacation from the real world. And I would definitely NOT recommend quitting a stable job that would likely keep someone employed through the next few years.

But given the current economic prognosis(which isn't near as good as the Pollyanna worshipping folks who think a recovery is going to happen in mid 2009 say), I'd say that if you are out of work or get laid off, and can survive on what you have, there is little downside to going. It's probably the best opportunity many will have, given that almost no one in any sector except perhaps healthcare is highering right now. The next few years may be the perfect time for many of us to do things we wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to do. Thru-hike, finish college, build a cabin, etc. Lots of us are going to likely have a lot of free time on our hands.

When the pink slip comes, start packing for Springer or K.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I was wondering if you all think more or less people will be on the trail this year due to the economy? The economy isn't playing a role in my decision, but it may prevent some people from quitting their jobs, or it may drive the unemployed to hike the trail? Any thoughts?

Images

I'm thinking it will more likely keep people from hiking than it will help people get out there. In the end, it's still a discretionary expenditure. Even though many more may have the time, they simply won't have or won't choose to spend the money on hiking/recreation. I don't see it having a huge impact on the numbers one way or the other though.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Being in debt and laid off pretty much means that most folks in my situation will have to hang around town and look for another job. If I had a bundle in the bank, there's no doubt I'd be headed to Georgia next March. This, however, is not the case.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I'm likely going to loose my job sometime in the first half of 2009. If and when it happens I'll probably try a hike from my home, east of New York City, to where my son lives in Ohio. The basic route will be to follow the Long Path north to the Finger Lakes Trail which goes west across NY's southern tier. Where the Finger Lakes Trail ends I would be able to take the North Country Trail across the north, west corner of PA to Ohio. There I'd pick up the Buckeye Trail. It would be in the neighborhood of 1000 miles, give or take. I'd really like the opportunity for a long hike, but I really like my job so I'm torn between hoping I get layed off and hoping I don't.

I'm definitely not a defeatist. And certainly not a survivalist. But about a year ago, I took a hard look at the economic pressures about to be visited on this country and wondered to myself how well the country would handle it.

I spent a year or two in the Boy Scouts but the ensuing years dulled the good lessons that organization teaches ... the primary one being "Be Prepared." I decided I wasn't prepared for what could happen. What might happen. Not that I think it will happen, but I think there's a good chance that having some skill at cross-country navigation couldn't hurt.

I decided that having an extra 10 pounds of useless gut hanging off of me probably would put me at a significant disadvantage should it become necessary to put my athleticism to use surviving.

I decided it was stupid that I hadn't started a fire with my bare hands since I was 10, or knew how to find a good water supply, or cook something I'd killed and cleaned myself. I decided that having a fully stocked lake full of fish less than a mile from my house was pretty useless if I didn't have a rod and tackle, and the knowledge of where the fish like to hide there.

I decided it was really dumb that I didn't have a good lightweight "Go Bag" that I could pick up, leave the house in 2 minutes, and feel confident that it contained everything I would need to survive a week in the wilderness.

I decided it was pretty moronic in this day and age with Google Earth at my fingertips not to have 3 or 4 ways to get the hell out of Dodge all mapped out in advance just in case of tidal wave, heat wave ... or worse.

This summer, I'll plant a small vegetable garden back of my house just to refresh the mind of what its like to grow what I need and to reacquire the learning. Should I find myself suddenly in need of growing my own food, I'll have a seed store in the basement at the ready.

I have no idea what's to come from the economic mess our government has visited upon us. But I can tell you this ... having a good pack; being prepared to carry it a very long distance; knowing the trail and the ins and outs of traversing it ... how can these skills not be useful to obtain, and also be fun along the way?

Buckwheat, we may have a sick government, but it's the people in the government, not the governmental system that put us in this mess - that, and the fact that a large percentage of giant companies pay their employees too much to do too little.
    Couple that with the fact that most Americans are too cheap to buy American (or smart, as the case may be with automotive and high tech items) and you have the root cause of the problem: the love of money (aka materialism). We have done it to ourselves, buying on credit until we were incapable of repaying that which we've borrowed (I'm currently working my way out of that stupid move) helped by the unbridled GREED of our lending institutions, lending to those who never intended to pay back while my interest rates go up and up (hey, my bank's got to get it from someone, why not the guy who's broke but will pay?). So here we are. We have met the enemy and he is US(a).
    Read I Timothy 6:10, then verse 6. (I've been to 10, working on 6).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I can survive for a while without a job, simply because my parents are kind enough to let me take up a room in their house, instead of paying for an apartment (very very VERY lucky in this regard, I know). If I had my own place, there would be no way I'd be able to lose my job & go hiking for months or even just weeks on end.

My guess is that people like me who are single, have a bit of cash stashed, and not much financial obligation are more likely to head out to the trail if they get laid off, but people with kids, houses, loan payments will have to stick close to home.

When I was initially laid off last year, I discussed with some friends and family about hiking the AT. After looking into it I realized that it was too late to start my planning. I have had a few part time jobs in the last year and had no luck finding anything full time. I seem to have a lot in common with several others on here, I am 29 with no major obligations. I would say that if the economy was better this would of been something that I would of put off for many years. Hope to see you all on the trail.

I've come to realize in life that you can plan for everything but you have to be ready at a moments notice for anything.

Case in point you have to be in shape for the day you are given permission to hike or maybe given a pink slip unexpectedly.

I put in for a leave of absence in late 06 for an 08 hike. Little did know that I was one of 150 that would be let go. I took the opportunity to hike all winter to get in shape and then headed off to Springer.

I'd recommend hiking the AT to anyone that has lost their job. Just don't worry about things back home. Enjoy the moment!

Images

In 2008 there was talk of the year being slow for hikers,but I didn't see a difference.I worked 10 t0 14 hrs a day for 10 weeks to take care or just the north bounders, I hope I have the same deal in 2009.

Images

I was laid off a yr ago and still haven't found work. I am definitely doing my first NOBO Thru due to being laid off. The economy sucks. I ended up giving up my condo in Portsmouth, NH and moving in with my sis for awhile. The more I think about it the more I know I'm supposed to be out there on the trail. Good luck to everyone in their pursuit of happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by lingo View Post
    When I was initially laid off last year, I discussed with some friends and family about hiking the AT. After looking into it I realized that it was too late to start my planning. I have had a few part time jobs in the last year and had no luck finding anything full time. I seem to have a lot in common with several others on here, I am 29 with no major obligations. I would say that if the economy was better this would of been something that I would of put off for many years. Hope to see you all on the trail.
    Im living proof you don't need planning. From the exact moment hiking the AT popped in to my head I bought my plane ticket to Bangor about an hour later after viewing the ATC website a single time. I gave my job 2 weeks notice that night. Flew to Maine with my old boy scout gear which lasted through Maine into New Hampshire where the trail provided me with better gear through a gift. I had no idea the 100 mile wilderness even existed until I got to the trail. Heck, when I landed in Maine I had no idea how to even get to the trail. I walked around and asked. I showed up at the trail with 6 days of food, because I figured it was a fair amount to assume I need to carry. I discovered the hard way the only store once you get to the trail is Abol, and they are severely understocked for anybody but car campers.

I made it to virginia and spend about 600 bucks in total I think.

Planning is overrated, just be prepared for on the job training.
    ME-VA 08
    soon to be GA-ME 09
    praying for PCT 10

I also didn't have a guidebook until I got to Mount Washington in New Hampshire.

Once I got a Companion I was glad though. It was helpful to know where I was walking.
    ME-VA 08
    soon to be GA-ME 09
    praying for PCT 10

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

This is only anecdotal and relates only to the part of the AT running through and north/south of Shenandoah National Park--but shuttle reservations through late Summer are at about the same level as they were last year at this time. These are mostly section hikers and vacationers.

In 2008, the naysayers were insisting $4/gal. gas was going to kill tourism in our area. Instead, it actually helped us as people downsized their vacations to something closer to home and less expensive (we are well situated so less than a tankful of gas is required to reach us from much of the populous East Coast and near Midwest). Those venues that increased their advertising instead of retreating benefitted the most.

I'm thinking something similar might happen in 2009, for the 90%-plus who still have jobs anyway. Many Americans will take some kind of vacation if they can. This should also help keep hikers on trails IMHO. No opinion how it would affect the number of AT thru-hikers, but they are a tiny percentage of the overall hiking population anyway.

Our system of government is seriously flawed. To begin fixing it, step 1. Eliminate lobbyists. How is contributing to a campaign fund any different than handing a politician a briefcase full of cash? The money is used so that he/she can get reelected and in turn gain more personal wealth and power. It's bribery plain and simple. Step 2. Eliminate earmarks. One issue, one vote. Why should someone have to decide if voting to give a community clean drinking water is a good idea because if he/she does they are also voting to spend 70 million to build a lighthouse in Kansas? Beyond this I'm open to any thoughts. As for the economy driving more people to the AT. Only the ends of the spectrum. The very rich who don't care or the very broke that have nothing to lose. The rest, if they had not already planned to hike, will most likely stay home and try to ride out the storm.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++