WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    Interesting. Let met get down to the nerd lair so me and boys can start crunching these numbers.

But seriously, I wonder it that's true. We were ending our thru hike so we were cruising at that point...but still it was pretty easy.
    Actually, I have no clue, but there are lots of ups and downs.

haha, allright. Does anyone know the answer? What about the roller coaster? Not 30 miles but part of a 30 mile stretch, you could probably put together some good gain/loss #'s.

My guess would be somewhere in Maine. Long ups, Long downs, not a whole lot of flat ground.

Interesting. Let met get down to the nerd lair so me and boys can start crunching these numbers.

But seriously, I wonder it that's true. We were ending our thru hike so we were cruising at that point...but still it was pretty easy.
    actually, the nerd work is already done and posted here...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31293

the GA section is above average, but definitely not the most difficult, unless you consider the clueless noob who is learning as he goes

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    I would say that the section between NOC and Fontana would give it a run for the money.
    that's a tame section

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post

the GA section is above average, but definitely not the most difficult, unless you consider the clueless noob who is learning as he goes
    I thought it might be, just hoping someone would post the link.

I thought it might be, just hoping someone would post the link.
    these are important questions that require data, not supposition

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I'm willing to bet the elevation gain/loss in the 1st 30 miles are as much as any other 30 section. I'll leave it up to you to do the research.
    Guess not....check out the next section after the first 30 :0

avg sobo nobo dist.
    281.......285........276........31.4........Spring er - Neels Gap
    334.......340........328........36.1........Neels Gap - Hiawassee

Smile Thanks Winton!!!!

I thought that was a nice article....a good picture of Winton too. He has to feel pretty good about the article.

I think he may help keep more people on the Trail that are just starting the "walk of their dreams" than anyone, by simply lowering their pack weight to a more manageable weight and providing a way for that hiker to send unnecessary items home.

I remember one guy that I met climbing north on Blood Mtn who just wanted to get to Neel Gap so he could find a way to get home. He was done...he said he didn't want to keep walking because it wasn't fun. He had started out at Springer Mtn with a dream of thru hiking the AT.

I told him to talk to Winton first because he could probably help this nearly 60 year old hiker get his 50+ pound pack to a more reasonable weight.

I had gone into Blairsville for the night. When I continued walking north the next day, I caught up to this hiker and he was walking north on the Trail and he was smiling!!

His pack was now 35 pounds and he knew he could continue his dream of walking to Katahdin....and enjoy it much more.

I walked on smiling too....knowing that Winton had made so much difference in that poor beaten down guy that I had met the day before climbing Blood Mtn.

All I can say about this article in Backpacker Magazine is THANK YOU WINTON!!!
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    I thought that was a nice article....a good picture of Winton too. He has to feel pretty good about the article.

I think he may help keep more people on the Trail that are just starting the "walk of their dreams" than anyone, by simply lowering their pack weight to a more manageable weight and providing a way for that hiker to send unnecessary items home.

I remember one guy that I met climbing north on Blood Mtn who just wanted to get to Neel Gap so he could find a way to get home. He was done...he said he didn't want to keep walking because it wasn't fun. He had started out at Springer Mtn with a dream of thru hiking the AT.

I told him to talk to Winton first because he could probably help this nearly 60 year old hiker get his 50+ pound pack to a more reasonable weight.

I had gone into Blairsville for the night. When I continued walking north the next day, I caught up to this hiker and he was walking north on the Trail and he was smiling!!

His pack was now 35 pounds and he knew he could continue his dream of walking to Katahdin....and enjoy it much more.

I walked on smiling too....knowing that Winton had made so much difference in that poor beaten down guy that I had met the day before climbing Blood Mtn.

All I can say about this article in Backpacker Magazine is THANK YOU WINTON!!!
    Ditto.
    Sailor

Will add my comments to the last few....

Glad to see this article. Winton Porter is one of the finest people I know, he's helped more people than just about anyone I can think of, and has probably been more responsible that any one other person for hundreds and hundreds of folks having a great trip on the A.T. Winton, in simple terms, saved their asses and saved their hikes.

'Bout time he got some recognition for it, too.

Unless I consider the clueless noob? Well yeah, that's most of the people who thru-hike the AT. That's why it's considered the toughest. It gets easier as you hike.

did'nt we all learn as we go ?.. still learning for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by yappy View Post
    did'nt we all learn as we go ?.. still learning for that matter.
    When are you going to learn to take my advice? It's wonderfully put in Wildflower's CDT DVD. You want a copy? PM me.

for Sly...who is hiking the Azt this Spring..lol..

for Sly...who is hiking the Azt this Spring..lol..
    Maybe we can rendezvous on the GET. What's your schedule?

The Get sounds awesome too...but the GC... yikes, what a place to end a walk ! At least I hope so.. haha. I am looking at a march 10th start, depending on the snow..are ya doing the Get ?

Images

Ok but did IndyGirl finish? We know CindyFromIndy didn't, she sold all her gear here on WB...

The Get sounds awesome too...but the GC... yikes, what a place to end a walk ! At least I hope so.. haha. I am looking at a march 10th start, depending on the snow..are ya doing the Get ?
    The AZT goes from Mexico to Utah sweetie, and ends in the middle of nowhere. LOL...

Here, take some time, check it out. Take my advice!

http://www.simblissity.net/get-home.shtml

March 10th would be a great time to start in the Superstitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Unless I consider the clueless noob? Well yeah, that's most of the people who thru-hike the AT. That's why it's considered the toughest. It gets easier as you hike.
    Seriously, what might be a good estimate of the percentage of folk who never backpacked and went straight to springer today? I would think that after all the books, articles, internet, etc. people would be a lot more informed today and know more what to do to prepare, including at least a shakedown hike, than say 20 or so years ago.

Seriously, what might be a good estimate of the percentage of folk who never backpacked and went straight to springer today? I would think that after all the books, articles, internet, etc. people would be a lot more informed today and know more what to do to prepare, including at least a shakedown hike, than say 20 or so years ago.
    For the most part, it doesn't matter how much you read, or try to get in shape for a thru-hike, you still need to hike. Lots of people start with very little real long distance hiking experience on the AT.

My shakedown hike consisted of 6 miles on the FT. Not very realist.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++