WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: AT Clothing?

Default AT Clothing?

I'm planning a 2009 thru-hike when I get off from college. I have from May 15th to September 1st to complete my thru-hike. I'll be putting in long days with plenty of mileage in order to do so. I'm starting in GE and finishing in ME. My plan is to go as light as possible without sacrificing safety. I've been reading a lot about clothing and haven't really found any clear answers. I've done alot of hiking for extended periods of time, but have usually had the extra comfort of more clothing than I could easily have done without.

For all you AT hikers out there, what clothing do you recommend? Types of material? Band names? What are things are a must and what things are just not necessary? I'll be starting out in GE in May so I'm assuming I'll be past most of the colder weather, but am sure to have a few chilly nights. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt - one helpful tip I can offer is to pick up the November issue of Backpacker Magazine. Look for the article about Mountain Crossings and owner Winton Porter. Winton's advice about clothing has guided many successful thru hikers and will serve you well.

Insulated Layer - West. Mountaineering Down Vest. Also check out Montbell.
    Rain Jacket - Frogg Toggs have served me well. Lighter but costly alternatives exist.
    Rain Pants - Sierra Design nylon pants (cheap, light, insulate when wet, dry quickly)
    Short Sleeve hiking shirt (1) - I'd just get something from the local thrift store (man-made fibers)
    Running shorts (1)
    Hiking socks (1 pair) - I like Smartwool adrenaline shorties
    Sleeping socks (1) - Smartwool again, but over the ankle
    Lightweight Polypro shirt for sleep (1)
    Lightweight Polypro bottoms for sleep (1)
    Lightweight skull cap (Not the full on Wind-Stopper variety - too bulky/heavy. I have a nice light one from Mountain Hardwear)
    Lightweight glove liners
    Trailrunners (Salomons have served me well. Get about 600-700 miles per pair)
    No camp shoes
    No town clothes

Good luck!!

Garlic
    Images

For a summer hike like that, you can go pretty light on the sleeping bag and clothing. A 40* bag, light trousers or shorts, one shirt, one thermal layer, and a wind shirt would be fine, with a light rain shell. You can always add or subtract as you go along. I'd say one extra pair of socks is necessary, more is a luxury. Some hikers like a cotton T in the summer. Long trousers are good for protection from ticks and poison ivy in the mid-Atlantic.

I used a cheap poly trekking shirt and trousers from Campmor, a Hot Chillys thermal shirt, a Marmot Driclime windshirt, Smartwool socks, and a silnylon rain shell. My summer bag was a MH Phantom 45 (17 oz), loved it. Everyone is going to have different favorites.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

On my May 21 NOBO departure a couple years back, I left wearing t-shirt, running shorts, Headsweats ball cap, socks, and running shoes.

I packed:
    -bandana, fleece gloves, warm hat ~4oz total
    -GoLite windshirt ~3.5oz
    -thin LS shirt ~4oz
    -light long johns ~4oz
    -microfleece pullover ~9oz
    -Montbell Thermawrap vest ~8oz
    -2nd pair of socks ~2oz

I used a poncho for rain and slept in a MH Phantom 45 bag. I was glad for both the fleece and the vest in the chilly Smokies and a few other spots like Roan Mountain and the Grayson Highlands when it dipped into the high 30s.

I never felt that I needed hiking pants, rainpants, or waterproof gloves. Were I to change anything: I'd use a rain jacket instead of poncho (warmer in camp, if needed). Use windpants instead of long underwear (better for cold morning wind, evening bug attacks). And swap the vest+fleece combo for my Thermawrap jacket (simpler).

Hope that helps!
    -Mark

Images

Kurt,

As another option:
    instead of trying to hike the entire trail in 3.5 months you could instead hike just the first half of the trail and put an emphasis on having fun.

Normally it takes about 6 months to hike the entire trail so doing it in 3.5 months would be kind of grueling. Doing half he trail now and half at a later time might be a lot more fun.

Panzer

Images

Here is my section hiking list....

Wear
    Short sleeve T-shirt synthetic
    Pair of light running shorts
    1 pr wool socks
    1 pr sock liners

Pack
    Long sleeve synth shirt
    1 pr synth long underwear
    1 pr spare nylon jogging shorts to sleep (or bounce box them)
    1 spare synth t-shirt to sleep (or bounce box it)
    100 wt fleece jacket or pullover
    1 pair wool socks
    1 pair wool sock liners
    1 Marmot rain jacket
    I keep a thin light balaclave in my sleeping bag.

If I was out there in March, I would bring rain pants. you might need them when you get up in the whites for wind and windblown rain.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    Kurt,

As another option:
    instead of trying to hike the entire trail in 3.5 months you could instead hike just the first half of the trail and put an emphasis on having fun.

Some people find walking all day is fun. Not hiking fast, but hiking long.

I am not a an unber-athlete by any means and a 6 mo thru-hike would not be fun for me.

Just another view.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post

instead of trying to hike the entire trail in 3.5 months you could instead hike just the first half of the trail and put an emphasis on having fun
    I wouldn't really say I'm your typical hiker. I enjoy pushing myself both physically and mentally. I enjoy the pain. I was nationally ranked in track back in high school. Still run/weight-lift almost everyday so I'm in wonderful shape right now. Also an Eagle Scout with tons of outdoor skills/knowledge. The average person takes about six months, but I'm not the average person. Also, doing the trail now could be my only chance for quite some time since I'm also really focused on my future career (internships, jobs, and what not). This summer works perfectly for me! And worse comes to worse, I make it as far as I can before I need to head back to school.

Kurt
    www.kurtvon.com

Kurtvon - A 3.5 month hike would be a blast for me. A 6-month hike would be miserable. Do what makes you smile and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tagless View Post
    Kurt - one helpful tip I can offer is to pick up the November issue of Backpacker Magazine. Look for the article about Mountain Crossings and owner Winton Porter. Winton's advice about clothing has guided many successful thru hikers and will serve you well.
    I agree with Kurt, very good article plus many other sections in this issue are dedicated to the AT! I am using the article he is talking about as a packing template.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua5878 View Post
    I agree with Kurt, very good article plus many other sections in this issue are dedicated to the AT! I am using the article he is talking about as a packing template.

Woops, I agree with "Tagless" advice to help "Kurt".

Garlic
    Images

With good sense, decent health, and decent luck, you'll have great fun on a 3.5 month hike. I'm 51, my partner's 63, and we made it in 3.5 months and had a great time, enjoyed every day. Good luck!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++