WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default sleeping bag/bivy sacks/shelter's

I was just curious on what people think about mostly depending on shelters but having a bivy sack for emergencies and when the shelter is just to full. Another thing about Bivy sacks is the condensation, how will that work with a down bag? Was thinking about going with a 20 degree systhetic will that be enough? get a liner mabey? or can the bivy provide that extra warmth on the cold nights in the begining?

would just like to hear some positives/negatives of the bivy/shelter idea and what to do for a sleeping bag. Another thing I'd like to hear about is strait up hiking boots vs a trail hiking shoe saftey? more weight? if you all would spill your knowlege onto me it would be appreciated thanks happy turkey day.

never count on shelters. always carry some form of shelter and know how to set it up.

Images

i'd take a tarptent over a bivy.

A bivy sack will typically add 10-15 degrees to your bag. One nice thing about a bivy sack is you can use it in crowded shelter. If you have one with built in netting and hoops, it can also give you bug protection. One such bivy is the Outdoor Research Advanced bivy.

The down side of the bivy is you need a good sized tarp to go along with it. Otherwise, there is no way to get in and out of it without getting wet or keep the rest of your gear dry if it is raining. If you need to set up outside a shelter, its likely raining.

If your on the trail at the same time everyone else is, if you want shelter space, be sure to be the first one up in the morning and hike fast!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

One thing to think about is that during summer, even when shelters are available, the mosquitoes may be so bad that you need something enclosed to sleep in. If you're ok sleeping in a bivy, that could work, but you could be looking at sleeping in that bivy a lot of nights--a lot of very warm nights, at that.

Images

Shires Contrail weighs 20 ounces, takes up very little room packed, sets up in 3 minutes and is pretty hearty. Lighter than a bivy/tarp combo.

My current shelter system year round is as follows...

blue foam pad = 10oz (72"x28"x3/8")
    gortex bivy bag = 32oz (CF military surplus)
    rain poncho/tarp = 10oz (including cord and pegs)

With the bivy bag its not that much lighter than some tents, but I really like the veratility in being able to crash anywhere. I use a very simple pitch for the poncho. Either a pup tent for just the head end, or a lengthwise lean to, which is very open but nice for sitting up under. I've also done the sideways lean to. With the bivy and bluefoam pad it really doesn't matter that much, but even if its not raining I sometimes put it up anyway just 'cause its quick and fun, making a wee home, taking advantage of whatever logs or rocks or stumps or trees or shrubs are there. If I crash after dark and theres no rain its often just into the sack on the side of the trail and back up and moving again at sunrise without much ceremony, then breakfast at the first stream.

I agree its not great for bugs. I might just rig a bug net for my top half.
    Not sure yet what the best size/shape might be for this.

any recomendations for a bivy sack with hoop's/bug net

Images

You will get condensation with any bivy I don't care what they advertise I have used a OR bivy off and on for years with a tarp it has worked well for me but in damp conditions your bag will get wet I now use a hammock which is the best quality sleep I have ever had on the trail

Hillbilly

There's very limited room in the bivy for a change of cloths, and of course your pack won't fit. I've got one and find it of limited use. If it's raining, you'll get wet getting out of it, for sure.

I mostly use mine on my boat now, sleeping out on the nets.

On my recent last trip I saw a kid in a homemade Tyvek bivy sac and he got caught in an all night winter rain/sleet with high winds and woke up soaked. His friends all had tents and we laughed at his set up. He laughed, too.

People have mentioned the drawbacks but there's always the appeal in throwing down a bivy bedroll and crapping out where you stand. Find a place under some laurel, next to a tree, under a rock ledge, anywhere there's a tiny level spot. What potential!

Froggy, William Hayes, Burger--all make great points: Condensation, bugs, lack of storage space, water leaks, etc. About 3 years ago I saw a group up around 5000 feet in zero degrees and the poor bivy boy had no choice but to hit his sac at 5:30pm when it got dark and stay put till morning. Could he stay up to read? Not likely. Could he light a candle and hang? Nope. I felt sorry for the guy and it reminded me of some terrible nights constricted in my own nylon coffin. A zipped up sleeping bag is bad enough, throw over a bivy sac and there's no joy left.

another question, how often do people find themselves not staying at shelters on average a week. My plan is to use leanto's as a primary shelter, im thinking mabey twice a week? just some feedback on that would be great. I found a bivy/tent thing that might be good for the job http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...82574488340425

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

For the same weight as that coffin, you can get a Henry Shires Rainbow or Squall, and have all sorts of room. Enough for all your stuff.

Just picture it - a 40 degree downpour, shelter's full (of stinking, snoring hikers, and mice, chipmunks... you get the picture), and you're trying to get into that little thing and keep you and your stuff dry - not gonna happen.

www.tarptent.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chrishowe11 View Post
    another question, how often do people find themselves not staying at shelters on average a week. My plan is to use leanto's as a primary shelter, im thinking mabey twice a week? just some feedback on that would be great. I found a bivy/tent thing that might be good for the job http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...82574488340425
    Folks usually either prefer shelters and stay in them most of the time or prefer their tents and stay in them most of the time.

The bivy/tent you have there looks like a coffin. The seehouse sl1 is only a few oz more and you have a full blown double wall tent that you can move around in.

Images

The bivy you link to is pretty expensive. Personally I would go with a light tarp and one of these:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/EQ3000

Much lighter and cheaper than what you linked to. It doesn't cover the face, but that is what your tarp is for. I think you would be much more comfortable camping with this and a tarp.

If you plan to use shelters primarily, I would guess that you would only sleep out once a week at most. It's generally pretty easy to get to a shelter in time. Is much more difficult early on if you start your hike during March or April. Will also get more challenging to find shelter space during inclement weather - just when you want it most.

I would not be comfortable depending on a bivy as my only shelter for all the reasons already given - no room, condensation. Even in the summer, 8, 10, 12 hours is a long time to stay in a nylon bag. Also, if you choose to stay somewhere between shelters, where will you cook? No cover.

A bivy can be useful for helping to keep your expensive bag clean in dirty shelter, adding warmth on windy nights (even in a shelter), or as a second layer of protection when using a light tarp as a primary shelter. That is how I would plan on using it, in addition to a tarp.

You wanted opinions, that's mine. Obviously, others will have other experiences and thoughts.

If you're set on going the bivy, or bivy- type tent route, I would make sure I had the resources to add a tarp if you decide you don't like the experience.

Whatever you decide - stay safe and have a blast.

Yeti GAME 08 Team Deutschemark smaaax's Avatar

I left early (Feb 16) and came to 1 shelter where there wasn't room. That definitely won't be the case if you go at the usual times.

If you don't already hate shelters a long distance hike along the AT will certainly deter most hikers from staying in them - regardless of space. The most annoying thing I found on my hike this year was that you have to stay in shelters in the Smokies and even at Partnership, which is a beautiful shelter, I wasn't happy about using it but they ask you not to tent there for some reason.

A bivy sack would be very limiting in my opinion for shelter and it would require that you still use the shelters to cook, store your pack, etc... When it's raining - it wouldn't give you much freedom. And there is little merit in discussing the benefits of any form of shelter when it's not raining!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've got a SL1, SD Lightyear, SMD Lunar Solo and SMD Lunar Duo and the tent I grab every time is the Lunar Duo.

Man, that thing is a palace for 1 person - major room *plus* 2 big vestibules. At 3 lbs it's more or less the same weight as a 1 person SL1 or the other popular 1 man tents but with more than 2x the room. I'm 6'3" and I can sit up, move around, change clothes, cook, repack my pack and do everything I need to do without crashing into the tent walls and roof. It's also much better for my mental health to have plenty of room when I'm riding out a storm and this fills the bill nicely.

It's probably my favorite piece of gear.

I was just curious on what people think about mostly depending on shelters but having a bivy sack for emergencies and when the shelter is just to full. Another thing about Bivy sacks is the condensation, how will that work with a down bag? Was thinking about going with a 20 degree systhetic will that be enough? get a liner mabey? or can the bivy provide that extra warmth on the cold nights in the begining?

would just like to hear some positives/negatives of the bivy/shelter idea and what to do for a sleeping bag. Another thing I'd like to hear about is strait up hiking boots vs a trail hiking shoe saftey? more weight? if you all would spill your knowlege onto me it would be appreciated thanks happy turkey day.
    Lots of good advice and considerations given already.

I'll assume we R only talking about hiking the AT? Where, what direction, and when R U starting on the AT? Do U have any experience in AT shelters or with bivies? How flexible/adaptable would U say U R when hiking?

Bear with me. I promise I will not ask for any blood or DNA.
    Do U have or had any medical or physical conditions such as: back problems, shin splints, foot, knee, ankle, or hip problems, existing or known fractures, ligament or muscle problems? How would U generally describe your level of health? How much wt. R U planning on carrying(estimate as accurately U can)? About how many miles R U planning on hiking per day(be real, this isn't a pissing contest)? U asked to spill knowledge onto U. If U can answer these questions I'd be able to more accurately spill a tidal wave of knowledge, or at least my opinion, your way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++