WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Getting higher than normal man dares to get GanGoHigh's Avatar

Default Montbell Alpine Light jacket fitting question

Hey gang, I'm a 5'11", 155lb male. 32 in waist, and I have no idea what my chest/arms are. Not terribly long. My knuckles don't drag the ground. Should I go with a large or medium in this jacket? I will be wearing it over my shell in a 4 layer system.
    Mmmmm bop.

Images

Use the MB sizing chart then buy 1 size larger. MB fits tight
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I second that....MB IS REALLY TIGHT in comparison to most US companys...I wear a large in ALL my jackets, but an XL in montbell is super "fitted".

Images

Agree with everyone. I am usually fine in a small jacket, but the Montbell small is a very close fit. Could've taken a medium, but they were all out and I couldn't beat the price.

GGH - I'm your same size and suggest your try a large if you're going to wear the jacket over a shell. I wear my medium MB under the shell and it fits well. But there's not a ton of extra room for more layers.

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I have almost identical build. I recommend a large if you're looking to have 4 layers underneath.
    -Mark

mb fits small because the Japanese aren't as slothful and fat as we are...get one size bigger than you normally would.
    Will I ever get to where I am going? If I do, will I know when I am there?

Thanks for the input fellas.
    Mmmmm bop.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    mb fits small because the Japanese aren't as slothful and fat as we are...get one size bigger than you normally would.
    That's perhaps true, but not the full story. In general, average Japanese people just tend to be a bit smaller than average American people. Both in height and, erm, girth.

Medium.

I am 6'1" 150 and my medium is nice but not at all tight. I can still get a 200 wt fleece layer under it as well. Not that I have ever needed too.....

Wait, if you have 3 layers under it, get a large.
    If you are wearing it over a shell, is it going to be used for mountaineering? If so, look into the permafrost jacket if you want a bit of snow shedding ability.

I am about 50 lbs heavier then you and wear an XL, and I don't have that much of a gut. 6'0-210 I wear a size 48 jacket. The Montbell stuff fits "athletic" so it tapers down to your waist, at least thats my experience with the jackets I own from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    That's just anti-American, but probably true, U Sumo wrestler. However, this may not be true for long as more and more Japanese R eating at American style fast-food establishments in Japan.

Images

I normally wear a Large, but in Montbell I get the XL.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Montbell often lists US/UK, and seperate Japanese sizes. I would agree with the size up one from the Japanese sizes. I have found that the US sizes are pretty much the same as Patagonias items which have a trim/atheletic cut. I am 5'10" with weight varying between 170-190 depending on how much I am stuck in the office, and how much I am out. For me, the Alpine Lite size L in a perfect fit with a mid-weight base at my heaviest, and good over base + softshell when I am at my slimmest.

--mark

I tried one of these on 12/6, the parka and jacket at high end outfitting store. Really nice, and for me, 6' 170#, no way the medium would fit for any type of layering underneath. My arms are kinda long, and the sleeves were short as well. But the large was good fit, I would say I could wear it with base layer plus another layer, no problems. My .02 would be regarding the parka/vs. the jacket. The parka hood is excellent, sized to fit over a fleece hat/beanie no problem, full neck coverage. For me, this is key to staying warm, head neck area. I would buy the parka for sure, for this benefit. Also, they had whole product line there, EX light, UL, and AL jackets. To me, depending on your use needs, I would buy the AL over the UL, unless weight was so critical or your temp needs are not real crucial. The AL is obviously much warmer than the UL, because it has twice the fill, different fabric, and weighs 14 vs 7 ounces, at nearly the same price. Nice stuff either way.

I just wanted to update this and let everyone know that I did buy a medium Montbell Alpine Light and that I find the fit to be perfect. I'm a tall 5'11", 155-160lbs, very active, built, etc... This size fits like a glove. I can wear a baselayer and a wool sweater under it with no movement issues at all. And my hardshell jacket is perfect over it. It's like they were made for each other. I've already tested it out at temps in the teens and I was blazing hot. A great jacket, Montbell gets an A+ from me on this one.
    Mmmmm bop.

Images

How is the sleeve length and what sleeve length do you wear in a dress shirt?

Images

I received mine in the mail this week too. I ordered the mb alpine light down jacket in a large. I am 6' 7" at 165 pounds. The jacket fits perfect. I'm glad I didn't go with the medium.
    This jacket is great. On tuesday it was sixty outside. There was no way to try it out. I couldn't wait for some colder weather. That came on thursday night. I put on one base layer and headed out in the woods behind the house. 1 base layer is all I needed. It was in the low 30's with lots of wind. I stayed toasty warm. Around an hour later, my wife, hollered out the back door for me. "What are you doing?" me: "I'm just pretending to be out in the woods." her "You are in the woods. Get in here!"
    Today I think I will go up to Big Bald or Beauty spot to "gear test" some more.

Mudhead, my sleeve length is around a 33-34. I've worn 32's and 34's that fit perfectly, and I've had some 32's that were too short and some 34's that were too long. Depends on the cut of the shirt, chest diameter, etc...

Fits so damned good, I hate taking it off.
    Mmmmm bop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++