WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trekking pole supported shelters

My knees have started hurting enough that I broke down and bought trekking poles, so now I want to ditch my tent with poles and get something supported by the trekking poles. So far I've found the SMD Lunar Solo, Tarptent Squall, or Tarptent Contrail. If there are any others you recommend, I'm open to suggestions. I've never tried camping under something like a plain 8x10 tarp in GA during the summer...can you do that in the southern appalachians without getting overrun by bugs? It's so much cheaper of an option, it may be worth trying.

Images

Mr Burdell,

I heard that you were lost at the federal pen on Boulevard Street? Maybe you heard the story? It's on your account the GT glee club is not longer welcome. It seems that you were on the roster going in but not accounted for on the way out. Explanations were in order, and now you know the rest of the story.

Take a look at the Mountain Laurel Designs Patrol Shelter and Serenity Shelter for short trips. Use a Six Moon Design Lunar Duo for longer trips.

Egads - GT ME82
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Besides the already mentioned SMD, Tarptent, and MLD there are a number of popular shelters from Gossamer Gear, Brawny designs sold by backpackinglight.com and antigravitygear.com. I try to keep a reasonably up-to-date list of tarptent shelters with a few comments. You can also do larger shelters like pyramid tarps by lashing poles together.

You can certainly tarps without integrated bug protection. The typical solution then is to use some some of purpose driven bug protection. When I was tarping I really liked the A16 bug bivy. Around $30, 6oz, freestanding so it could be used under the tarp, in a shelter, etc. It covers maybe the top 1/3 of me, relying on the sleeping bag to protect legs.

--mark

I'm having trouble recalling the exact name of it but I have been using a silnylon shelter for several years now. I prefer cool and cold weather trips so I can't really comment much on the bugs although I did use it out west for a couple of weeks in the summer with no bug issues. It has kept me very dry in spite of several episodes of intense rain. The setup is a little tricky at times to get a taut pitch and still have good protection from the elements but since it only weighs 14oz it is worth messing with to get right. I only had one issue in multiple outings and that was in high wind on Mt Rogers in November. I couldn't get the door flap tight enough not to be rattling in the wind. I had to listen to it most of the night but the shelter was always stable albeit loud at times. My knees are shot after many marathons so the trekking poles are an essential part of my gear now and the silshelter is a welcome addition as I have been able to shed a little more pack weight. Good luck with your search.

Images

Rainbow tarptent...

Quote Originally Posted by ponyVet66 View Post
    I'm having trouble recalling the exact name of it but I have been using a silnylon shelter for several years now.
    This year I saw quite a few excellent homemade silnylon tarps. I'm going to make one myself.

Had to go home and check it out / it was "bugging" me. It's an Integral Designs Silshelter. Can't remember what I paid but since I have used it on about 90% of my outings I figured I have gotten my moneys worth.

Images

Yes, you can use a plain silonylon tarp in the Southern Appalachians in the summer. You need some bug protection -- either a head net, or maybe a net tent, something like that.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I heard that you were lost at the federal pen on Boulevard Street? Maybe you heard the story? It's on your account the GT glee club is not longer welcome. It seems that you were on the roster going in but not accounted for on the way out.
    I always seem to find myself in those types of situations. You wouldn't believe how often people are looking for me- I get paged on the PA system at GT sporting events all the time.

George (ME 04, among many others)

verber- Your website is awesome. That's going to save me hours of searching.

I think I'm going to buy one of the inexpensive 8x10 tarps from Campmor, and give that a shot first. The $200+ price tag on most of these shelters is more than I'm willing to spend at the moment, and I may be perfectly satisfied with a simple tarp.

Images

Smile

I use a Noahs Tarp from REI...it has kept us dry through many severe storms in the Southern Appalachians and have't had any problems with bugs even in the middle of the summer. Easy to set up and take down, plus it doesn't weigh you down like a tent can. Plus, at night when a breeze is blowing the sleeping doesn't get any better.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you're going to be in the south, you'll probably be okay with a tarp. But I wouldnt use it up north in New England for sure. And in VA from Shenandoah north there's bad deer ticks.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I've been very happy with a GoLite Cave (no longer available) shaped tarp. Had the nest for when bugs would be troublesome. Used that combo for years. Have changed to Gossamer Gear's The One and am very happy with it. Also sometimes use a Six Moon Wild Oasis. Both are very light, offer great protection.

I had one night when it was cold, with a steady, heavy rain and absolutely no breeze when condensation was a bigger problem than what I would want to deal with in The One. Every other night has been great - very little or no condensation. It is well ventilated. I am attributing the wet night to a rare occasion when all factors came together in a "Perfect storm" so to speak. I did still sleep reasonably, but my bag got more wet than I like.

For the AT, especially if you plan to use the shelters too, a tarp or tarptent is definitely the way to go. Great protection for the weight. Lots of good choices out there.

Images

I'm in GA and over this past summer and fall I used a campmor 8x10 tarp with an rei bug hut 2 for bugs. I liked the combination, it's more open and airy than a normal tent with a fly, but still offers the psychological barrier of a tent that you don't get under a tarp. I just know that copperheads want to snuggle up with me for my body heat, no matter who tells me otherwise. You also get a nylon coated tub floor instead of a groundcloth, which can be handy in the rain. I have the option of leaving the bug hut at home and using a groundcloth, but even together they're only a little more than 3 lbs and 130$ for plenty of room for two people and gear. A bug hut one would be even lighter and cheaper, less than 2 lbs and 100$.

Of course, the bug huts have poles, and you wanted to get away from that. You could use a mosquito net like this one

Default Smd

I recently picked up a used SMD Lunar Solo E. I think I'm in love.
    So far it takes care of all the main shelter issues for me: weight, bugs and "critters"!

George
    It depends on what you like and your size. If you are over 6' then ,according to several users, the Lunar Solo and The One could be too short (particularly if you use a thick mat)
    On the other hand some don't like the front entry of the Contrail, but keep in mind that you can use two poles (inverted V) so that you don't have one in the way.
    Right now if a vestibule is not a big deal for you, I would look at the silnylon version of the Tarptent Sublite as well as the ones mentioned above.
    Franco

Images

Thumbs up tarptent

I too would recommend the Rainbow Tarptent. I just bought one and it sets up quickly with or without the trekking poles. There is plenty of room to sit up inside and plenty of bug netting.
    I will probably be using this one on my 2010 nobo.

8x10 tarp with bug bivy, or get some no-see-um mosquito netting and rig up some bug protection (PCT hikers should be pros at this)

Other than that, I'd say cruise for a used tarptent, you can find them on the cheap every now and then.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by George P Burdell View Post
    My knees have started hurting enough that I broke down and bought trekking poles, so now I want to ditch my tent with poles and get something supported by the trekking poles. So far I've found the SMD Lunar Solo, Tarptent Squall, or Tarptent Contrail. If there are any others you recommend, I'm open to suggestions. I've never tried camping under something like a plain 8x10 tarp in GA during the summer...can you do that in the southern appalachians without getting overrun by bugs? It's so much cheaper of an option, it may be worth trying.
    I have a brother that snow camps using his trekking/ski poles and a space blanket. He says it’s the only way to go if you want to go light. But he also will jump in a lake at 10,000ft during the winter to bath. The Boy Scout group he leads has yet to following him in the freezing water.
    Be good!!!
    |..............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|.......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\......| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    George
    It depends on what you like and your size. If you are over 6' then ,according to several users, the Lunar Solo and The One could be too short (particularly if you use a thick mat)
    On the other hand some don't like the front entry of the Contrail, but keep in mind that you can use two poles (inverted V) so that you don't have one in the way.
    Right now if a vestibule is not a big deal for you, I would look at the silnylon version of the Tarptent Sublite as well as the ones mentioned above.
    Franco
    That's good to know. I'm 6'1" and I already have one tent that's too short; don't need a second.

I had no idea there were so many companies making this type of gear. So many choices....I hope Santa Claus brings me some $$$ this year!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++