WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Stickpic

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Default Stickpic

OK, so I was over at hammockforums.net and watching Shug's videos of himself out backpacking and noticed he was using some kind of camera mount that worked in conjunction with his hiking poles. He could not only take self portraits but even videos. So, I asked him about what he was using and he referred me to:

http://thestickpic.com

This is a very clever device that screws into the tripod mount of your camera and then you slip it over the tip of your hiking pole. Set the timer for a self portrait, hold the stick out and snap your shot. This thing is very easy to use, doesn't cost a lot of money and weighs just a few grams. One of the reason I don't take too many pictures is the difficulty in setting up a shot with me in the picture. No more.

Check out their website and see for your self. Also be sure to watch Shug's videos, he is a riot!
    Papa John

Images

I was contacted by the company to field test this item earlier this year and I found it works good. It takes some getting used to but does make self-portraits/videos a lot easier to shoot.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Default GorillaPod

It's really cute, but I can do the same things and much more with my GorillaPod. It's fantastic for self-portraits (I often solo-hike, so this is important) and also makes taking steady shots and panned shots for panorama construction really easy. It'll grip to almost anything or stand on almost any surface that will take the camera's weight. To top it off, the small size has a quick-release mount for the camera and still weighs only 1.6oz. Here's my self-portrait from the top of Lehigh Gap taken with mine, set-up on the rocks:
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Strategic View Post
    It's really cute, but I can do the same things and much more with my GorillaPod. It's fantastic for self-portraits (I often solo-hike, so this is important) and also makes taking steady shots and panned shots for panorama construction really easy. It'll grip to almost anything or stand on almost any surface that will take the camera's weight. To top it off, the small size has a quick-release mount for the camera and still weighs only 1.6oz. Here's my self-portrait from the top of Lehigh Gap taken with mine, set-up on the rocks:
    There are several alternatives. I have the mini-pod which omni-tapes to virtually anything, but then you have to set all that up, set the timer, run back into the frame, etc. With this, I hold out my pole and I am in the picture. Plus, I can do videos and actually move around.
    Papa John

Papa John,

I watched that same video...I was all ready to buy the little thing but at $15 plus shipping its not worth it. I'll make my own.
    "Impossible just takes a little longer"

Images

They are $11.99 with free shipping right now.
    Papa John

++ New Posts ++