WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Glasses

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I put
    mine in my ballcap at night, and they stay next to my head, along with my
    headlamp and a few other things.
    Good advice. I do the same thing with my glasses at night, and have never had a problem.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I too always hike with glasses. I wear a nylon ballcap with a hard plastic brim (covered in the nylon) so that it doesn't deform in the rain. The only time I've ever had a problem was in blowing rain and fog atop Moosilaukee. Fortunately, I can get by without wearing glasses, so I just put them in my pocket until I got back below treeline.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

This thread reminded me of a guy, Boston, that I hiked with for a little this summer. Apparently, his glasses got all fogged up coming up the Cow Camp Gap shelter trail and he went the wrong way on the AT, all the way back up that mountain. I think he went 3 or 4 miles in the wrong direction.

I never did see him again, but heard that second-hand.

For Fog try the RainX fog treatment in the Auto section but do a test spot first to make sure it doesn't affect any coatings or Polycarbonate lenses. Other tip is put clear nail polish or super glue over the top of your screws after you tighten them. Carry a small repair kit including spair screws that will actually fit your glasses you may have to visit your optician to get these in some cases. Carry a spare pair and carry your prescription just in case. Like mentioned attach your name and phone number to them. You may be able to have it engraved on the inside of the frame check with your local jeweler.
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    Like mentioned attach your name and phone number to them. You may be able to have it engraved on the inside of the frame check with your local jeweler.
    Good idea, but I wear glasses, and would never have thought to check for engraved info.

It would have to be really obvious, for me.

I took my baseball cap for granted and used it for target practice with a friend's AK outside of Hanover (the second time). Two days later and the hole right between the eyes was a siphon for rain water.

Also, bring a repair kit. It's great for glasses but the plastic box is a perfect fit for the sewing needle so it won't poke holes in your air mattress.

I hike with glasses and yes they get fogged up and at times the rain makes it hard to see. I have never worn contacts and usually clean my glasses with toilet paper. I do not carry and extra pair but try check them more while out hiking.

The most trouble I have had is when it rains and I wear my poncho and the heat from my breath the steam coming from inside the poncho makes them fog up. This is usually temporary.

For the most part I do not even notice.

Images

I wear glasses also while hiking, for the most part ... like some have said they can't wear contacts ... thankfully i can ... in most of my pics in the gallery i think i'm wearing classes in 90% of um ... I carry my contacts are there small, not as hard to take care of as some think, and i also carry a small bottle of bacteria killing soap to clean my hands before i put them in or take them out ....

Yes, you run the risk of an eye infection, blah blah i'm sure someone would bring it up if they haven't already .. i skiped a few posts ... But in 2 years using them in the woods, i've been just fine using my cleaning methods ... Just keep your hands clean before ya put them in or out .. but when i'm hiking in the rain and can't see a darn thing ... its all about the contacts, or if its 100 degree's an sun's beating on me ... contacts go in ... easier to not have to stop every 10 minutes to remove the glasses then wipe your face ...

So many different reasons for both, i simply carry glasses and contacts ... To keep your contacts from going dry from wind/heat ... I use Systane ... its a thicker rewetting drop ... little 0.16oz bottle can last quite awhile ... I also use opti-free replenish but its not as good as the systane imho ....

Foggy glasses and impaired vision from it drives me nuts, i've learned i gotta hike with contacts for either a backup, or as a primary in crazy weather ...

Less focus on keeping your vision will keep your feet safer by knowing where your walking.

Anti-fog does work, but ya still gotta keep the water off your glasses ...

Default Glasses on the Trail

Quote Originally Posted by sleeman13 View Post
    I know there are prob. a lot of threads already addressing this question, but I'll ask anyways. For those hikers that wear glasses, what have your experiences been? I have glasses and was wondering how much of a pain they are, especially when it's raining or when your sweating a lot. Have those who wear glasses had lots of problems with them fogging up. I've also seen 30-day contacts. Has anyone tried those out. What is your opinion of them?
    Thanks
    I'm an eyeglass wearer. Usually I don't have any problems and prefer them over contacts. I always wear a brimmed hat when it's raining to protect the lenses with very little fogging problems. Most fogging comes from being outside and coming into a heated building. On the trail it's usually not a problem and when it is it can usually be solved by just venting your clothing/raingear a bit more. And I always carry something to clean the lenses, like a soft cotton bandana or a small lense cleaning cloth.

Like others, I carry a spare pair, with one pair being prescription sunglasses.

Images

Covering nose and mouth with a scarf or balaclava will fog mine up.

Seirus Powerstretch balaclava comes below the lower lip. Only one I've found that rides low. May be others now.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

The only thing that hasn't already been mentioned that I do is that I wear my backup glasses and leave my new ones at home. I don't mind doing the quick wiping and the occasional mild abuse when they're the old ones.

Good hints for glasses people, thanks. I always carry two pair, one is prescription sunglasses, in hard case. The morning of a 10 day backpacking trip out west, my nylon string broke that holds the lens in. Unfixable except at opticians. Duct tape to the rescue, some slit cutting and careful application, good to go enough in about a half an hour. Duct tape should be on your have to bring list if it isn't already if you wear glasses.

I’ve used a paper clip in place of a frame screw where the threads got stripped out and were unrepairable. Thread through, bend, clip off. Bombproof.

The other problem you’ll see with glasses is pad failure: either the nose pad will be lost or the wire connecting it to the frame will break off. (It will break at the yoke holding the pad or at the lens frame.) If the pad is gone, wrap the yoke with something to substitute for the pad. If the yoke is gone, leaving a bare wire, slip the padding onto that. If the wire is gone you’ll have to use a pad large enough to bridge the gap between the nose and the glasses frame. An obvious choice for improvised padding is from a sleeping pad, if carried. Another are trimings from boot/shoe pads (whew). You can also use a band-aid, possibly folded over a filler (a pad from the medical kit or one removed from a second band-aid, etc.). If you have access to a drug store or WalMart, the gray pads sold as heel cushioning are serviceable. (Cut into equal halves & press together.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++