WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12
    Images

C'mon folks, lets get back on track.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Just adding my 2cents.. I called the Hallmark, and informed them of this information. They promised to investigate it, and possibly remove the reward from "Cubby" if the stories are true.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    Ed. You first need to tell us where the thread is at the moment. You, me, and many others have long since got us off commenting on how great it is that a thru hiker has won a photography prize -- a contest entered, incidentally, by just two contestants. The prize, to everyone's surpise, I'm sure, was won by a photo promoting the newspaper that offered the prize.

The issue at the moment, I think, involves whether shelters should be vandalized by thru hikers, or whether vandalizing shelters is just a millennia-old insignificant practice.

Weary www.matlt.org

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Ed. You first need to tell us where the thread is at the moment. You, me, and many others have long since got us off commenting on how great it is that a thru hiker has won a photography prize -- a contest entered, incidentally, by just two contestants. The prize, to everyone's surpise, I'm sure, was won by a photo promoting the newspaper that offered the prize.

The issue at the moment, I think, involves whether shelters should be vandalized by thru hikers, or whether vandalizing shelters is just a millennia-old insignificant practice.

Weary www.matlt.org
    I'd prefer that folks restricted their posts on this thread to the subject of the photo contest, the winning photo and the relevance of some claims talked about earlier in this thread. That, obviously, will be hard to control considering some folks have broadened the scope of discussion to include graffiti on AT shelters, signs and such. I'm trying to get a couple people to cut out the attempts to "sneak in" some extraneous junk and the posts that are about each other and not anything to do with the original subjects. I don't want to close this down but if I have to, so be it.
    Last edited by ed bell; 11-16-2008 at 23:25.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

We went off on a spur long ago and may have reached its end.

Aw come on! Who put THAT in my tent? Ziggy Trek's Avatar
    Images

Default Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    We went off on a spur long ago and may have reached its end.
    I am still messed up over learning what CHEESING means. Gross
    "I drank the silence of God from a spring in the woods." -- Georg Trakl

Journal Entries

I'd prefer that folks restricted their posts on this thread to the subject of the photo contest, the winning photo and the relevance of some claims talked about earlier in this thread. That, obviously, will be hard to control considering some folks have broadened the scope of discussion to include graffiti on AT shelters, signs and such. I'm trying to get a couple people to cut out the attempts to "sneak in" some extraneous junk and the posts that are about each other and not anything to do with the original subjects. I don't want to close this down but if I have to, so be it.
    Ed: Almost no one as near as I can remember, has seriously commented on how great it is that a thru hiker has won a photo contest with only two contestants, one of which promoted the newspaper that had promoted the "contest."

The issue now seems to resolve around thru hikers, who picked up from the newspaper account and seemed elated that finally the identity a guy who vandalized shelters with giant carvings proclaiming "Cubby 08" has been identified."

That seems to me to be the issue that we have been debating -- including you. In my opinion, we are way beyond the point that WB can logically go back to the original topic.

But then, what do I know.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by SurferNerd View Post
    Just adding my 2cents.. I called the Hallmark, and informed them of this information. They promised to investigate it, and possibly remove the reward from "Cubby" if the stories are true.
    That sucks. I wish I (we) could have let this dead horse lie. He was just an example of millions of kids who use poor judgement every once in a while. And yes folks, I acknowledge it was poor judgement. Just didn't warrant the kind of reaction it was receiving here. Anyhow, a few hours of community service never hurt anyone whether they were guilty of anything or not. Losing the award on the other hand just seems mean. It wasn't a good citizen award anyway it was a photography award, and no matter who took it, maybe the best picture ought to still win. Anyway...whatever. I don't want to play any more. I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    That sucks. I wish I (we) could have let this dead horse lie. He was just an example of millions of kids who use poor judgement every once in a while. And yes folks, I acknowledge it was poor judgement. Just didn't warrant the kind of reaction it was receiving here. Anyhow, a few hours of community service never hurt anyone whether they were guilty of anything or not. Losing the award on the other hand just seems mean. It wasn't a good citizen award anyway it was a photography award, and no matter who took it, maybe the best picture ought to still win. Anyway...whatever. I don't want to play any more. I'm out.
    Ditto. Good luck Cubby, Sorry people took an interest in you. This is what happens, human nature takes the WORST of everyone and highlights it.

Good luck lynch mob.

Out.

Images

I had the weather pic of the day for the Weather Channel a few years back.

They might want to take it away from me because I didn't bring my umbrella on a day when they said it was going to rain.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post

Weary www.matlt.org
    You obviously have no knowledge of the contest. There were many more than two entrants - several dozen, at least - and the contest was "take the paper on vacation with you" - so ALL of the entrants contained the paper in it. That was the idea.

I realize this may be somewhat off-topic, but it's frustrating to me to see people spouting off about something which they know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by biggdbo View Post

I realize this may be somewhat off-topic, but it's frustrating to me to see people spouting off about something which they know nothing about.
    welcome to whiteblaze.net par for the course

Nobody knows more than I about what I know nothing about.

What?

Images

That hurt my head.

Closed, time for the crowd to disperse.
    Last edited by Alligator; 11-17-2008 at 11:16.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12
++ New Posts ++