WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Teen wins photo contest while hiking Appalachian Trail - Press News

Teen wins photo contest while hiking Appalachian Trail
    Press News, OH - 21 minutes ago
    Aaron Warrick won The Press-News photo contest with this photo, taken in front of a mural in Duncannon, Pa., along the Appalachian Trail. ...

More...

Images

We finally have a name for the "Cubby 08" carvings on all the shelters in Maine. Who wants to lead the posse to give this guy a good beating.

why? he didn't hurt anything

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    why? he didn't hurt anything
    LOne Wolf, had you worked seriously over the years maintaining the trail, I doubt you would have made that comment.

Regardless, this is what someone else commented:

Posted by Grizzly Bear:

"This kid vandalized almost every trail shelter in the state of Maine. He is no better than a street thug spray painting on the sides of bridges. You would think an Eagle Scout would have more respect for the trail, maintainers."

Weary

I havent worked seriously but honestly i dont seem the harm in that at all. I enjoy reading stuff like that. And he is definitely no where close being as bad "street thug". Some people need to take there chill pills.
    !nuf si sdarwkcab gnitirW

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    I havent worked seriously but honestly i dont seem the harm in that at all. I enjoy reading stuff like that. And he is definitely no where close being as bad "street thug". Some people need to take there chill pills.
    I haven't worked on the trail seriously but i dont see the harm in what he did. I enjoy reading stuff like that. He is definitely no where close to being as bad as a "street thug". Some people just need to take their chill pills.

I just need to reread before i post.
    !nuf si sdarwkcab gnitirW

He "vandalized" the shelters? Exactly what did he do? Sounds like that might be a little of an overstatment.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    He "vandalized" the shelters? Exactly what did he do? Sounds like that might be a little of an overstatment.
    Those who worked in the rain, mosquitoes, and black flies, for most of a spring and summer will think of it as vandalism.

Those who think it isn't vandalism should do the same some time.

Let me suggest, John, that you think about how you would feel if you had built yourself a house -- or had one built for you. How would you feel if you came home one day and found it sprayed with paint? Would you consider it just a friendly juvenile prank? Or would you quickly call the cops?

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Those who worked in the rain, mosquitoes, and black flies, for most of a spring and summer will think of it as vandalism.

Weary
    How about a picture.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Let me suggest, John, that you think about how you would feel if you had built yourself a house -- or had one built for you. How would you feel if you came home one day and found it sprayed with paint? Would you consider it just a friendly juvenile prank? Or would you quickly call the cops?

Weary
    What did he do?

"This kid vandalized almost every trail shelter in the state of Maine. He is no better than a street thug spray painting on the sides of bridges.

Weary
    it's just a man-made wooden box that doesn't belong in the woods. no biggie

Weary
    it the choice you make if you choose to build one of these stupid boxes. quit whining and just maintain it

Journal Entries

it's just a man-made wooden box that doesn't belong in the woods. no biggie
    That's because, Lone Wolf, you don't do serious trail maintenance work, so you have no conception of how real maintainers feel about the work they do.

Weary

That's because, Lone Wolf, you don't do serious trail maintenance work, so you have no conception of how real maintainers feel about the work they do.

Weary
    you have no idea what kind of "maintenance" i've done on the trail. i'm not a bragger, patch wearer or lookin for pats on the back. i could give 2 poos about shelters. they're not the trail. they don't belong

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 33whiskey View Post
    We finally have a name for the "Cubby 08" carvings on all the shelters in Maine. Who wants to lead the posse to give this guy a good beating.
    I give up, I hate folks carving into trees & stuff but what proof do you have and why do you feel the need to track him down?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I give up, I hate folks carving into trees & stuff but what proof do you have and why do you feel the need to track him down?
    I didn't take pictures, but just go hike Maine and you will see "Cubby 08" prominently carved in most of the shelters. After seeing it over and over it kind of pisses you off. It like seeing litter on the trail, but knowing that it was coming from the same person every time.

Quote Originally Posted by 33whiskey View Post
    I didn't take pictures, but just go hike Maine and you will see "Cubby 08" prominently carved in most of the shelters. After seeing it over and over it kind of pisses you off.
    don't stay in dirty boxes. pissed off problem solved

Journal Entries

you have no idea what kind of "maintenance" i've done on the trail. i'm not a bragger, patch wearer or lookin for pats on the back. i could give 2 poos about shelters. they're not the trail. they don't belong
    Well I garner opinions from the things you do say. You've told us the trail also is not "significant."

Weary

Well I garner opinions from the things you do say. You've told us the trail also is not "significant."

Weary
    it isn't in the big photo

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    As Henry Thoreau famously said, some circumstantial evidence is pretty convincing such as when you find a trout in the milk.

When a thru hiker with the trail name of "Cubby 08" gets written up in a newspaper, I think one can fairly assume that when messages proclaiming "Cubby 08" are found carved into the wood of shelters they were most likely carved by him -- thougn I suppose it could be a wannabe girl friend trailing along behind.

Weary

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++