WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn't belong,
    Can you tell which thing is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?

I think the funniest thing about this is that folks that feel the need to "tag" shelters, signs, picnic tables, etc. are generally immature, and feel the need to mark things up in order to leave a record of their presence.

Well, it sure looks like he succeeded.

He got himself noticed all right.

And when someone forwards this thread to Park Service police, he'll get noticed even more.

Journal Entries
    Images

He got himself noticed all right.
    That's another part of this ugly story that I find troubling.

How could one be so prolific without the acceptance and tacit approval of those hiking around him?

He couldn't.

Before reading this thread I would not have believed it possible.

Is this what HYOH has come to?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    hey. i agree

I like shelters, I will stay in them, but seriously. The impact of a shelter takes up about 1/8 of an acre in the middle of the woods. multiply that times the number of shelters JUST on the AT and you have a huge plot of the forest that has been disturbed by "Trail Maintainers" the last people who can save us.

Next time, spend some more time getting rid of widow makers and dead falls if you think all of your time and energy is going to waste. And fix the steps at the Kay Wood Shelter. I don't want to have to bring the trail maintainers from that section to court because I broke an ankle due to a problem that had fore drawn knowledge.

Hey Homer, you've been asked before.

Just much maintenance have you done lately, and where? Tell us about how many hours you've volunteered to the Trail recently.

I'm willing to bet you ignore this post, too.

If we showed up at his house and carved our names on the front door, would that be OK?

Unnn geez..... I don't think pops would like that.

Like Spogatz said above...It's all about respect.

Eagle Scout my arse.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Hey Homer, you've been asked before.

Just much maintenance have you done lately, and where? Tell us about how many hours you've volunteered to the Trail recently.

I'm willing to bet you ignore this post, too.
    Actually. I didn't ignore your post. I was working. And I have actually never participated in a trail maintenance group. I would love to though, I've been looking into doing some up in the Whites next year and trying to get my little brother in law involved. Any good suggestions or numbers I can call?

I may not sign up, but every time I am on the trail I try and move what debris I can, (Larger stuff that makes you step over it) I sweep out every shelter with a broom (If provided) when I get there and before I leave. I try not to walk around muddy areas in order to keep the trail pristine and don't cut every low lying branch off a tree in sight.

So please just because people marking there place in time on a shelter wall since um, SHELTERS EXISTED, don't get all self righteous on me because your a "Better Person".

When I was growing up I had a wall in my bedroom that all my friends and family could sign, draw on, paint on, and leave there 2 cents. My parents loved it and participated in it. Agreeably they didn't think all of the stuff was appropriate, but they said, that is human nature.

I have moved out, I miss that wall. Maybe i'll start a new one.

Homer:

The wall in your bedroom was YOURS, and to write onit, or to let others do so, was your decision.

Trail facilities are public and belong to everyone; nobody has the right to deface them or cover them with graffitti.

Hope you can distinguish the difference here.

Oh, and if you're interested in Trail work in the White Mountains go to www.outdoors.org and check out the AMC's various opportunities for volunteers. They'll be very happy to have you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
    That would be pretty obnoxious. Good job.
    It won't be, I promise. No one will even notice it amidst all the other graffiti around it. I'm just reacting to the fact that some single teenager should be singled out from the zillions of others who have done it over the years. Millennia, even. Once when I was a little but less mature I came to the GA/NC border sign...and saw that a friend had initialed it. As had many, many other people over the years. Well, I took out my little knife and carved my initials in it. At most a half inch square area of the sign defaced. Impulsive, and I wouldn't do it again. But I do think it'd be pretty cool if my grandkids found a heart with grandma and grandpa's initials in it carved on top of a firetower someday.

Since, apparently no one has pics, can someone, at least, give me the dimensions of these carvings? Am I the only one that does not have a clear mental image of this act?

You're missing the point, Bfitz. Graffitti is a blight, and it leads to further blight. When a person finds a wall or a building that has been scrawled with initials and other stuff, he's encouraged and emboldened to add more stuff, and eventually, before long, someone will add something inappropriate or obscene. It might be cool for your grandkids to see your initials on a wall years from now. But would it be cool if alongside your initials, they saw "F*** you, buddy!!" right next to it? Because graffitti encourages further acts of disrespect, and not all of them are "cool."

In fact, none of them are.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Since, apparently no one has pics, can someone, at least, give me the dimensions of these carvings? Am I the only one that does not have a clear mental image of this act?
    Unless it's really enormously outrageous compared to any other piece of graffiti typically seen on the AT what difference does it make?

BTW does anyone remember the one in the smokies with the bong behind the mountain spewing smoke clouds that said "welcome to the smokies!"? Someone should post a picture of that!

I just like details. I'm all about info, info, info...But you're right it probably doesn't matter. I think I'm really curious because I've been asking this question since the beginning and no one really seems to know the answer. Some have indicated that small scratching on the shelters are ok, but his big carving job is not, but they can't tell me how big it is...

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Cubby, a real cut up, has been discussed before.

Evidently he is not near sighted.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

You're missing the point, Bfitz. Graffitti is a blight, and it leads to further blight. When a person finds a wall or a building that has been scrawled with initials and other stuff, he's encouraged and emboldened to add more stuff, and eventually, before long, someone will add something inappropriate or obscene. It might be cool for your grandkids to see your initials on a wall years from now. But would it be cool if alongside your initials, they saw "F*** you, buddy!!" right next to it? Because graffitti encourages further acts of disrespect, and not all of them are "cool."

In fact, none of them are.
    Ah, the old slippery slope argument. That one has led to much persecution throughout the centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by 33whiskey View Post
    We finally have a name for the "Cubby 08" carvings on all the shelters in Maine. Who wants to lead the posse to give this guy a good beating.
    Never got a chance to catch up to the little ****. . . but other hikers eventually straightened him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    why? he didn't hurt anything
    Y'all forget it's just one man's opinion - nothing mystical - just a dude that don't like shelters.

I dunno about "persecution", Bfitz.

But people that make the repeated willful decision to break the law risk PROSECUTION.

Nothing slippery about it, either. Just a fact.

It'll be interesting to see how this one works out.

But feeling as you do, Bfitz, especially as regards unjust persecutions, if this guy is arrested and fined for his "artwork", needless to say you'll be the first person to contribute to his defense fund, right?

Yeah, sure.

Images

Trail facilities are public and belong to everyone; nobody has the right to deface them or cover them with graffitti.
    so they belong to everybody and nobody all at the same time...using this logic, so do the roads...grama (or grampa) can drive however she wants and i just have to deal with it, right? i can't (well i could, but then i'm an...) pull up next to her and start yelling what i think about her driving technique...so i just have to accept that she, and her style, have every bit of a right to be on the roads as do i...

also, if they are public, why do you continuously ask people how much work they've done? i've never done any "sponsored" work, but i've done trail maintanence...we affectionitely called it "hardcore" and i've got pictures to prove it...i built a working spring water source with my own two hands, by myself...i've picked up trash...and is not just spreading good will, positivity and the overall appreciation for the trail and it's culture (and the woods in general) to other hikers part of trail maintanence...with that said, it's a freakin' shelter...

am i still the only one more disturbed by the class of (fill in year) going out to the woods to spary paint a gigantic rock with their "class pride" (can't remember the exact location, but it's in VA)...that to me is more worthy of discussion and attention...can we stop people from doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Serial 07 View Post
    so they belong to everybody and nobody all at the same time...using this logic, so do the roads...grama (or grampa) can drive however she wants and i just have to deal with it, right? i can't (well i could, but then i'm an...) pull up next to her and start yelling what i think about her driving technique...so i just have to accept that she, and her style, have every bit of a right to be on the roads as do i...

also, if they are public, why do you continuously ask people how much work they've done? i've never done any "sponsored" work, but i've done trail maintanence...we affectionitely called it "hardcore" and i've got pictures to prove it...i built a working spring water source with my own two hands, by myself...i've picked up trash...and is not just spreading good will, positivity and the overall appreciation for the trail and it's culture (and the woods in general) to other hikers part of trail maintanence...with that said, it's a freakin' shelter...

am i still the only one more disturbed by the class of (fill in year) going out to the woods to spary paint a gigantic rock with their "class pride" (can't remember the exact location, but it's in VA)...that to me is more worthy of discussion and attention...can we stop people from doing that?
    Here you go. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...&imageuser=132
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Journal Entries

This discussion has been very enlightening. I now know why Leave No Trace is such a failed concept. Even those who profess a knowledge of LNT can't recognize an obvious violation.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++